Subaru Gurus

DI hasn’t nothing to do with forced induction.
And if you read the whole comment I made the manufacturer who sold it and has replaced a bad fuel injector has shown me that’s it’s naturally aspirated. So I don’t know who to believe a random person or the manufacturer gee I don’t know 🤷‍♂️

And if you read the whole comment I made the manufacturer who sold it and has replaced a bad fuel injector has shown me that’s it’s naturally aspirated. So I don’t know who to believe a random person or the manufacturer gee I don’t know 🤷‍♂️
Wikipedia indicates FB25D for 2020 is DI.

wiki for engine

one more thing from search

Lastly, DI has nothing to do with induction.

Naturally aspirated means no forced induction of air by any means, such as turbocharged or supercharged. Injection wise, there is Port injected and Direct injected. Neither have anything to do with whether engine is Naturally Aspirated or not.

Not a troll just stating that my engine isn’t a direct injection. And to clarify mechanics and even the YT guru Scotty calls any engine not direct injection a naturally aspirated engine so I have done the same thing.

Except that your engine is direct injection.

It is also naturally aspirated. They are independent of one another. I can assure you any mechanic that does as you’re saying doesn’t have any idea what they’re talking about. So I believe it is more likely you have your terminology confused.

Except that your engine is direct injection.

It is also naturally aspirated. They are independent of one another. I can assure you any mechanic that does as you’re saying doesn’t have any idea what they’re talking about. So I believe it is more likely you have your terminology confused.
Exactly. I am sure bearguy means well but he has his terms mixed up.

Not trying to stir a hornets nest - but what Subaru engine(s) and Year(s) say in the last dozen or so that had the least problematic engine.

I will be honest, I always felt the boxer engine was a solution in search of a problem - in a SUV. I understand why you want one in a rally car.

Not trying to stir a hornets nest - but what Subaru engine(s) and Year(s) say in the last dozen or so that had the least problematic engine.

I will be honest, I always felt the boxer engine was a solution in search of a problem - in a SUV. I understand why you want one in a rally car.
Ditto. I jumped into this thread because I'm helping a 21 year old friend of the family shop for a car. Several 2011 thru 2015ish Subies have popped up, but I'm REALLY concerned about the oil consumption issue.

There is NO WAY she will check the oil often enough, esp if it's using more than a quart every, say, 3500 or less. To read reports on Subaru forums one quart every 1000 isn't *THAT* rare and if that happened she'd seize her engine within a year or less.

How do these vehicles survive in the hands of oblivious drivers?

I'm not bashing Subaru, I'm asking because it would otherwise be a good fit for her.

The boxer is technically the most efficient and best to get a symetrical AWD. Its really THE only good choice. All others are "work arounds".

The EJ non turbo engines were a disaster from like 1998 to 2012. Leaking HGs. Shame on them!! The FB engines in 2013/2014 used oil. All subaru engine lines have no problems from '15 to present.

Once you addressed the HG issue in the early 2000s The engines typically were good for 250,000+ miles. The FA engine series introduced in 2012. Has been named 10 Best engines three times. The FA20 (2000 cc) has been moded to 500+ HP with no internal mods.

Ditto. I jumped into this thread because I'm helping a 21 year old friend of the family shop for a car. Several 2011 thru 2015ish Subies have popped up, but I'm REALLY concerned about the oil consumption issue.

There is NO WAY she will check the oil often enough, esp if it's using more than a quart every, say, 3500 or less. To read reports on Subaru forums one quart every 1000 isn't *THAT* rare and if that happened she'd seize her engine within a year or less.

How do these vehicles survive in the hands of oblivious drivers?

I'm not bashing Subaru, I'm asking because it would otherwise be a good fit for her.
I've yet to understand why Asian OEM's have not put in an oil level sensor--the skeptic in me says it'd be an admission of fault, but otherwise it escapes me. It can't possibly cost that much to do.

And I do believe this issue goes across all the makes. Save the ones with oil level sensors, of course.

the REAL subaru GURU is Mr Subaru, check out his great vids + the latest on the subaru oil filter issues!!!! i like subies BUT would NEVER buy one especially since all the manual shifters are gone + at times the engine MUST be pulled for certain repairs on them when said repairs can be done cheaper in most other configurations!!!

We’ve just purchased our fourth six cylinder Outback: one 2014 3.6R and three Gen III [2005 to 2009] 3.0R’s.

The sixes and turbos had the 5EAT transmission and VTD drive system through 2014.

VTD is a true full-time AWD system with a center planetary differential with 45/55 default torque. These cars also have rear LSD and VDC, Subaru’s AWD skid control system.

We retired the first one at 255,000 miles. It was replaced with a 2005, currently 145,000 miles. We bought the 2014 but it was totaled by a texting driver: my daughter was unhurt.And I didn’t particularly like the Gen IV, which was more SUVish than wagon.

We bought a 2008 last fall, which is a slightly facelifted body. We bought it with 97,000 miles. My daughter just drove it out to Colorado to go skiing so it’s at 105,000.

Also owned two Gen I Outbacks and a 2009 WRX. So driven Subarus somewhere between 650,000 and 700,000 miles.
HKWKbHH-0%21sizeoriginal.jpeg

Last edited:
Back