Subaru Gurus

And your point? I said after 2009 is when they started correcting the issue. That car is a 09. Ive watched that video and it's an oil leak, not coolant burning.
It's an oil leak from a head gasket in the video. Even if Subaru's don't eat head gaskets any more (and I question that) why would you buy a vehicle that requires the engine to be pulled to do a head gasket job? I bet that's still the case.

It's an oil leak from a head gasket in the video. Even if Subaru's don't eat head gaskets any more (and I question that) why would you buy a vehicle that requires the engine to be pulled to do a head gasket job? I bet that's still the case.
I have pondered that myself, why stick with the boxer engine? A nice upright inline 4 would probably fit, and I loved working on our 03 4cyl Tracker, not that it needed much. It did need the oil pan replaced and that required dropping the front subframe/diff as the engine was on top of the front axle. That I think is pretty common with body on frame 4wd vehicles?
I guess with the Subaru's, with engine in front of the front axle, the boxer setup keeps as much weight as possible close to the front axle, and also keeps the weight low, which is the same reasons Porsche sticks with the boxer as well.
Perhaps if Subaru does a small 3cyl turbo they might consider a vertical inline 3?

I’ve notice quite a few Subarus running around lately and have some question for those who own or know about them. How are they, really?, noisy? Quiet, good handling? What is the real difference between outback and forester, other than forester seemingly taller? How’s the 2.5L engine? Amy issues ?
Plenty of Amy's drive the Forester without issues, or at least that was the cliche years ago. Personally, unless it's the WRX and it's variants, Subaru's are kinda snooze-mobiles.

I was wondering when that was gonna pop up. After 2009ish they corrected the issue. Pretty much any 2.5 with timing chains (2013+) is not gonna have head gasket issues.

2011 is when the finally started correcting the issue, as that is the first year the Forester got the FB25, though the turbos had to wait until 2014 to get the FA20 :sneaky:

In the older Subaru Legacy/Outback were vastly superior to the Impreza based Forester in ride, handling, noise and rigidity etc.

I imagine this has morphed over time to both using Legacy/Outback platform.

Personally I prefer the Outback/Legacy especially 2015 - present.

My parents have a 2000 Forester with 198k since new that trouble free except alternator, muffler, radio, and wheel bearings. AC still blows ice cold.

They also have a 2015 Outback with 52k that has been trouble free.

We have a 2017 Outback with the boxer four banger. We purchased it new.

The front windshield shattered for no apparent reason while going done the highway in February. I saw nothing fly up from the road and we were well back from any other traffic. Usually when a windshield is hit by debris you have an impact point where everything radiates out from it. Not in this case, the cracks were even from side to side and top to bottom. There is a class action lawsuit on this issue, which we have joined. Was expensive to replace as we have the camera system that works the adaptive cruise control and lane monitoring. Front end alignments are also more expensive due to having to be tuned to the cameras.

It uses about a quart every 5K miles and I'm using Castrol Edge 0-20W. Subaru will only replace the short block if oil consumption is greater than one quart for every 1K miles. Supposedly this is due to the pistons being a little looser in their bores to reduce internal friction and increase fuel mileage.

It has proven to be reliable so far, with about 55K on the clock. You have to manually update the maps in the navigation system but we use our cell phones instead. Bluetooth hook up with my iPhone is a bit spotty, sometimes I have to manually tell it to find my phone.

Road manners are fine for a car with a tall suspension. I'm 6'1" and it has just enough leg room for me.

I put an oil drain valve in it and can change the oil in about ten minutes and don't even have to crawl under the car. Replaced the battery with a slightly large one by Interstate and had to cut the heat jacket down a corner to get it to fit. Original batteries are short lived.

Ours is a bit noisy on start up but once it warms up you just hear the valve train make sewing machine noises.

Power is adequate, we can get on the highway no problem and can cruise as fast as we care to. We get about 29 mpg.

We only run tier one fuel, mostly straight gas or 15% ethanol blend. Runs fine on either. Once or twice a year I put Chevron fuel cleaner through it.

I had an outback for a long while (2014 with 2.5 engine). I loved it, power for me was adequate and the CVT gave me no problems through the 100k miles before I sold. I will mention however:
-A/C was likewise adequate even in South Florida during high summer, but it takes a few minutes to kick in
-gas mileage was at best OK for the weight of the vehicle, the AWD is a drag on MPG, plus the CVT had some level of engine braking when coasting which didn't help the MPG.
-definitely test drive it, not everyone is satisfied with the acceleration of the 2.5

YMMV

Just learn how to change out head gaskets and you'll be fine.
That’s a past problem we had with our ‘98, the design is now totally different, and better. Early versions of the revised engine had oil consumption problems due to low tension oil rings but Subaru paid for new short blocks in that case. We have a ‘17 Forester with about 60,000 on it, it doesn’t use any oil over a 5,000-6000 mile change interval. Repairs:
A/C condenser (extended warrantee)
Front sway bar bushings (Same)
Rear hatch struts (same)

Last edited:
I have never seen material differences in consumption between a xw-20 and xw-30 - it is simply too small of a viscosity difference.
I have seen it on the past on my Forester and Crosstrek forum. I still continue to say that you are sacrificing wear by using a 20Wt. when a 30 weight is available.

I have a 21 Ascent and I've got a couple buddies with Outback Wilderness's. I do love Subarus, but the 2.4 turbo and the CVT (HT-TR690) don't get along well at times. Get into the throttle (around 50%) like merging on the highway and now all of a sudden it wants to pretend like its a regular transmission and make up gear ratios. It wouldn't be so bad if the shifts were smooth, but they can get a bit jerky at times. It seems like there is conflict between the engine and transmission sometimes. I wish Subaru would let the CVT do what a CVT is designed to do. No one is asking for programmed gear ratios. Another notable thing about the CVT in the 2.4T vehicles is the chirp going into drive. It's louder in some more than others. These characteristics are known on all 2.4T cars.

The 2.5 vehicles are ironed out well at this point. None of the same CVT annoyances as the 2.4t. The 2.5's get better fuel economy and I think they are decently powered. The 2.4t certainly moves a bit better than what you expect for the specs on paper.

Older Subarus have always been great for me. Not much needed other than normal maintenance. Heck even resurrected a few that owners thought were going to cost too much to repair that ended up being simple fixes.

I know my rant at the beginning is a bit expressive. But I come from a technician (Toyota)background and one of the areas I excelled at was diagnosing very particular customer complaints regrading squeaks, rattles and drivability. One of my buddies with the OB Wilderness is the same way I am and he notices the same things I see with my Ascent. The Ascent is a fantastic vehicle if you can get over those annoyances. I deal with them because it's my wifes car primarily and it is fantastic on road trips. It's cheaper than the Highlander and more room inside. We have the Touring (top spec) with the captains chairs and the second row is comfy for adults and adults can even sit in the 3rd row comfortably. I am Toyota fan mostly and really wanted us to get a Highlander. But for an equally optioned non-hybrid Highlander was close to $10k more than our Ascent. Plus the additional interior space really sealed the deal for us. I really wanted the Highlander Hybrid, but that was even more.

My inlaws at one point had 2 2018 Forsters spec'd identically except for color. They traded those in around 21 for a new Forester and an F150 for my Father in law's business.

Back