Subaru Forester 2.5L Interference Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here know if the 2.5L SOHC engine in the 2007 Subaru Forester is an interference engine? I'd also like to know if the water pump is driven by the timing belt. I've found conflicting sources on the interference issue, and nothing on the water pump.

I know a mechanic who has a book which lists engines and whether they have interference or not. I suggest you check with a local mechanic to see if your engine is listed - or you could try asking the dealer (sometimes the guys in the parts department are helpful when the service guys don't want to share such info).

All the subaru 2.5l are interference motors. The older 2.2l engine had some non-interference versions, and all the much older 1.8l are non-interference.

I can't say I've heard of any breaking a belt before 100k, headgaskets are much more a concern than timing belts or waterpumps on these motors.

That list is full of mistakes, take with a grain of salt. All EJ series engines have a timing belt driven water pump, yet it only lists a few. It's more wrong than right.

Thanks for the replies.

A friend is considering a 2007 Subaru Forester and the salesperson said that the SOHC 2.5L is non-interference and the DOHC 2.5L is interference. From what I gathered on the my searches, both are interference but the DOHC also has exhaust to intake valve interference. I don't know how much this changes my opinion on the vehicle. I don't like the idea of a timing belt driven pump on an interference engine, but should I really be concerned? If the water pump seizes, would it take out the timing belt before the engine gets hot enough that it would have needed to be shut off anyway?

Any other thoughts or opinions on the vehicle are appreciated! I did some searching and it sounds like Subaru owners are usually happy with them.

Quote:

I can't say I've heard of any breaking a belt before 100k, headgaskets are much more a concern than timing belts or waterpumps on these motors.

I've heard about the headgasket issue, but was under the impression that the problem had been fixed a few years ago. Is it still a problem on the 2.5?

I have a 2.5 SOHC Forester and I did the timing belts and water pump in 2005. Not as tough a job as Hondas but a good challenge. Similar to Hondas the harmonic balancer pulley retaining bolt is really tough to break. Good tools are essential. My understanding is the engine is an interference engine.

Regarding water pump driven by timing belt, this is same arrangement used successfully by Honda for over 20 yrs. I regularly monitor posts on Honda forums and I've never heard of a water pump siezure. Sure, water pumps fail, but they do so by first leaking by the drive shaft, and finally begin to squeal as bearing begins to fail. If you continue to drive for a very long time, it might sieze. You would have to be quite unobservant to miss the problem. Still, I wouldn't argue that it's impossible.

good luck

Well, she bought the Forester "Columbia Edition" 5 speed. It's $2000 more than the base model here, and adds a huge sunroof, aluminum wheels, heated seats, tonneau cover, splash guards, and a $500 gift certificate for Columbia clothes. It's mostly a vanity/luxury package, but I think it's the best trim level for the money on the Canadian Forester.

Congratulations! Very nice car. I just finished draining/refilling my wife's Forester ATF, Turkey-basted her PS fluid, and changed the oil and filter. These cars are pretty rugged if you take care of them.

Quote:

Quote:

I've heard about the headgasket issue, but was under the impression that the problem had been fixed a few years ago. Is it still a problem on the 2.5?

Yep. Fixed. Non-issue with the newer ones.

My Subie 2.5 is from 2004. Outback. do I need to worry about head gaskets?

What I am concerned about is that the clutch may not be fully disengaging. The tranny grinds a bit when I shift into first if I'm still rolling.

Your head gaskets are the newer variety, should be fine. Your transmission glitch is something that COULD be related to your fluid. If Specialty Formulations ever comes back, try their MTL-R, I think that's what they suggested...it sure improved my Subaru transmission shifting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back