Subaru Dealer used Castrol products first oil change

Let me start by saying I'm not complaining Castrol products are in my engine. I took my 2020 Subaru Forester to the dealership for it's first six month/6000 mi oil & filter change/tire rotation/inspection and noticed on my receipt they used 5 qt. of Castrol 0W-20 for the oil change @ $4.22 a quart. Three months ago I went to the same dealer and requested 5 quarts of engine oil and a filter since I was planning (but didn't follow through) on changing my oil @ 3000 mi. At that time they sold me 0W-20 OEM Subaru Engine oil @ $7.10 a qt.. I guess I'm somewhat chuckling to myself due to what they sold me previously to what they used this oil change. So I guess my Warranty won't be voided when I switch to either Mobil 1/Idemitsu/Pennzoil/Castrol products after I use the OEM Subaru oil I already have on hand. Always learning new dealer protocol and what questions to ask next.

As long as the oil meets the viscosity and API ratings prescribed in you owners manual, then there is no issue when it comes to warranty.

Non-issue in my opinion. I don't think any non-independent dealer is going to risk their franchise by using a substandard oil or one not in spec when high quality oils are so cheap.

Castrol is excellent and all I use in my WRX.

I know with my fathers 18 Forester. When I took it for one of his free oil changes. They used Idemitsu 0W-20... I have heard of Idemitsu oil before but personally never used it. His car is under warranty so whatever the dealer uses for his car.
Personally I have used Castrol for 25 plus years. Love there oil. That is just me though.

I just thought it was "strange" the dealership sold me OEM Subaru oil 3 months ago but used a completely different oil for my oil change.

I just thought it was "strange" the dealership sold me OEM Subaru oil 3 months ago but used a completely different oil for my oil change.

They can’t sell you what’s in their bulk tanks. They can sell you individual quarts.

Why are you buying oil from the dealer???

They can't? I've brought my own containers and bought Marine 2-Stroke Oil out of the bulk tank for years.

From a Subaru dealer????????

I doubt many dealers would entertain what you might be able to do at...where ever you’re getting your 2-stroke oil from...

That is very common. Most dealer service departments are on a bulk oil program. The parts department generally sells the manufacturer's oil since it is a genuine part.

Not to change the subject but, why are you paying for your own oil changes in a brand new Subaru? My son bought a 2020 Impreza Premium in January and his first 6 oil changes and tire rotation are free of charge, including free cabin air filters every 12,000 miles, even windshield wiper blades as needed. Subaru is paying: it's not dealer specific he can get the service at any Subaru dealer. I presume you had to pay for it since you mentioned "5 qt. of Castrol 0W-20 for the oil change @ $4.22 a quart." on your receipt. My son just had his 18,000 service this Friday and everything was $0.00. Is that just something they tossed in to sweeten the deal?

Not to change the subject but, why are you paying for your own oil changes in a brand new Subaru? My son bought a 2020 Impreza Premium in January and his first 6 oil changes and tire rotation are free of charge, including free cabin air filters every 12,000 miles, even windshield wiper blades as needed. Subaru is paying: it's not dealer specific he can get the service at any Subaru dealer. I presume you had to pay for it since you mentioned "5 qt. of Castrol 0W-20 for the oil change @ $4.22 a quart." on your receipt. My son just had his 18,000 service this Friday and everything was $0.00. Is that just something they tossed in to sweeten the deal?
unless it a factory thing , like toyota or audi,i think they just threw it in to sweeten the deal. even at retail 6 oil changes cost the dealer $250 or less.

They didn't offer six free oil changes and tire rotations from any Subaru dealer.

Because somewhere in the deal, your son paid for that...whether it was a pre-paid service/maintenance plan or your dealer offers this to get people in teh door and then just doesn't offer the lowest price....nothing is free.

Back