Subaru BRZ

Al

Definitely looking at this next year. I believe it will come out in early summer. 2.4. It will have the FA24 NA engine. Puts out 228 HP with Toyota's port and direct FI. 6 speed toyota transmission. To me its the perfect car. At 2800 lbs should be pretty quick. Considering your average turbo sport utility is 250 HP..correcting for the lighter weight BRZ would have 300HP. More than likely I'll be buying one.

It certainly looks better than the first generation but I'm apparently in the minority who think so.

Would be a fun toy for sure. I just wished I fit in cars that size better than I do.

I want to like this car so much but the last gen I drove was a disappointment. Hopefully the bigger displacement engine will help, I wish they would put the turbo in there.

Same.

Unfortunately anything they do to make it better will make it more expensive...

So just go buy a used Cayman if you want a fun two seater.
LoL that's exactly what I did. 2016 Cayman GTS, drive it every chance I get. But at 6'3" 240lbs I look ridiculous getting in and out of it :)

I own one of the first gen twins. It certainly is a fun car, and I lover the super close ratios on the six speed. I am curious to learn more about the new generation, and which parts are shared with the previous gen.

My biggest complaint with my car is the lack of alignment adjustment (camber is not adjustable like it is in a Miata). Many people lament the lack of horsepower, but I went into mine knowing it was slow. I guess it is all about managing your expectations. I'm not trying to be an apologist, because the 1st gen cars are most definitely slow, but if you're expecting this car to have strong acceleration, then you're kind of missing the entire point of this vehicle.

I'm not really understanding the comparison to a Porsche. They are in two completely different price points. If you're discussing new 86 vs. used Cayman, then that is a completely different argument with a different set of pros/cons. The Cayman is a superior vehicle in every aspect, as it **** well should be.

“Many people lament the lack of horsepower”.
Driving a slow car fast is more satisfying that driving a fast car slow (to stay out of jail). I’ve never driven a BRZ but from what I’ve read they are great handlers, a true drivers car ie fun. I could live with that.
Yeah, but man, it's still $30K-ish for one loaded out and it's not exactly an Elise. The S2000 would have been a GREAT! goal post for the FRS/BRZ twins. Instead they chose last generation's Mazda Miata base model, it seems.

Yeah, but man, it's still $30K-ish for one loaded out and it's not exactly an Elise. The S2000 would have been a GREAT! goal post for the FRS/BRZ twins. Instead they chose last generation's Mazda Miata base model, it seems.
I completely understand what you're saying. The value just isn't there for some people, and I can 100% empathize with that. (a V6 Camaro or Ecoboost Mustang are at the same price point, and are much "faster") This is without a doubt a niche vehicle.

I don't think the S2000 is a fair comparison for this car either, in the same way that a Cayman isn't a fair comparison. The 86/BRZ is $30k today. The S2000 sold for $32k when new... 20 years ago. What is that in today dollars?

I'm sure I may sound like a fanboy to some, and while I probably have some bias, I am also trying to look at the vehicle and its competition objectively.

I completely understand what you're saying. The value just isn't there for some people, and I can 100% empathize with that. (a V6 Camaro or Ecoboost Mustang are at the same price point, and are much "faster") This is without a doubt a niche vehicle.

I don't think the S2000 is a fair comparison for this car either, in the same way that a Cayman isn't a fair comparison. The 86/BRZ is $30k today. The S2000 sold for $32k when new... 20 years ago. What is that in today dollars?

I'm sure I may sound like a fanboy to some, and while I probably have some bias, I am also trying to look at the vehicle and its competition objectively.
Look at a 1990 mustang GT vs today, and compare performance and cost adjusted...

It looks to be a significant improvement over the original, but I already have a momentum car in the garage.

I wonder how the automatic transmission on this car will be. I drive quite a bit so an auto is necessary. I skipped over the last generation because of this issue but I am now interested in this new one.

It seems like too little, and too late. Thanks for trying to make a nice Japanese compact rwd tho!

Old one put out 200hp with something like 145-ish to the wheels. Unless they engineered the drivetrain loss out with the new one you’re only looking at 28 more hp. Now if it was 28hp AND tunable, then it would be a great entry level performance car. Issue with the NA engines in general is you can’t get any more power out of them unless you add forced induction. IMO the dollar per HP gained isnt that great. Anywhere 5-10k otd puts you at 300hp until you start building the block.

I had a 13 BRZ limited 6 speed. Catback exhaust was fun but it’s not my cup of tea. For a $25k track car yes. Interior was too “cheap” for me to feel like it was a quality product. I get the intention was to save weight but again, not my cup of tea when the doors sound hollow. I think the recent Supra 2.0 is a much more balanced overall

Lack of torque making it a gutless daily driver.
156 lb-ft @ 6400 rpm
Laughable^^^^^*
Try 184 ft. lbs and 228Hp in a 2800 pound vehicle. Very few 2 Liter Turboed small suv's and very few daily drivers will keep up with it.

“Many people lament the lack of horsepower”.
Driving a slow car fast is more satisfying that driving a fast car slow (to stay out of jail). I’ve never driven a BRZ but from what I’ve read they are great handlers, a true drivers car ie fun. I could live with that.
The problem with original was that suspension and car as a whole had much more potential than engine. There are many on track here where I go and I absolutely obliterate each one of them with my 328i, which is not the fastest thing. I drove several, and there is just that constant feeling how it is simply underpowered. When you drive car like that at 5,000ft altitude, it quickly turns into miserable experience regardless of handling.

Try 184 ft. lbs and 228Hp in a 2800 pound vehicle. Very few 2 Liter Turboed small suv's and very few daily drivers will keep up with it.
I am not sure why SUV is competition to car like that?
But any BMW 330i, Audi A4, A3, GTI etc. will obliterate it on the road.

Back