Study on Engine Noise Level vs Oil Formulation

Some need to accept that certain individuals have greater sensory gauging.

Our Odyssey started having the blower motor noise happen so I took it to the dealer as there's a TSB for it. They had it for 2 days and told me they couldn't replicate the noise. The next day, I took a 2 minute long video from several positions in the van where it was plain as f***, even on video. I took van back and was like, here's an effing video of it to the service advisor. They took the van and she called me like 20 mins later and goes, "oh, yeah, now we hear, thanks for the video."

/blink

/blink

Some need to accept that certain individuals have greater sensory gauging.

Flimsy argument. The intention probably is, you (or anyone else arguing that
way) has "greater sensory gauging" and anyone who has a deviating opinion
has not. Not that of a smart attitude, don't you think?
I agree that engine noise can't be fully ascertained by measuring sound levels
since noise isn't noise. It has to be complemented by subjective testing and
that's why this is even performed by all passenger car manufacturers. However
this needs to be done by double-blind testing to make for as much impartiality
as possible.

Just to make sure we are comparing apples to apples, I read on page 1:
Vehicle tests show that the consumption of fuel oil for vehicles using research and development engine oil will drop by 12%, and noise will drop by an average of 7dB.

Now what is "research and development engine oil"? Is this a special lube they came up with for the purpose? I know they talked of getting the best selling 20 & 30 grade oils for use in their testing later on in the paper. But what type of oil did this--the best selling 20 grade, or something one of them concocted?

EDIT: OK I see this R&D oil is what they call their "debugging oil." that is what did better on their test. What exactly is that?

For the record, I don't doubt that an oil that reduces friction to the point of a 12% increase in fuel consumption will be quieter. I was just wondering what is being compared to what, that's all.
"The actual vehicle test was selected as a 1.5L
displacement vehicle on the market, and A, B lubricants and debugging oils were sold on the market."

That Chinese study is the poorest lube-related study I've ever seen. It doesn't even tell anything at all about physical data of the lubricants used and anything at all about test equipment used. Perhaps for reasons. Conclusion: Completely worthless. Garbage. Thanks for wasting my time.

That Chinese study is the poorest lube-related study I've ever seen. It doesn't even tell anything at all about physical data of the lubricants used and anything at all about test equipment used. Perhaps for reasons. Conclusion: Completely worthless. Garbage. Thanks for wasting my time.
Does it really matter? Think the main jist of the study was to show that oil viscosity and formulation can make a difference in engine performance, including its running noise level.

Does it really matter? Think the main jist of the study was to show that oil viscosity and formulation can make a difference in engine performance, including its running noise level.
Someone's not listening and has covered his or her ears. :D

All I know is any 5w30 quites my 2020 Tundra down..Not in my head either. The tick is gone. Anything between 9 and 11 cst.

it´s not always about sound, unintentionally i was lugging small engine in 5th at city speeds..
to my surprise, it did not sounded like it would fall apart.
in the past oci without organic tungsten, it would be impossible do so, harsh. i love this tech.

it´s not always about sound, unintentionally i was lugging small engine in 5th at city speeds..
to my surprise, it did not sounded like it would fall apart.
in the past oci without organic tungsten, it would be impossible do so, harsh. i love this tech.

That is more to do with the computer adjusting timing and such instead of tungsten. Any oil additive will not have that kind of effect on a engine.

Back