Stubborn drain and fill plugs/Nissan 5 speed/MT

Status
Not open for further replies.
After posting a couple questions about what oil to run in my 95 Nissan MT truck,I decided on the Amsoil GL4 mt oil. I went into the garage and got everything ready to drain the tranny and the check/fill plug will not budge! I tried the ratchet first then the pull handle and finally the impact wrench all to no avail! I shot some PB blaster on both plugs but still can't get them to budge! I have focused on the check/fill plug since I will need it out to fill it up if I ever get it off. I'm assuming the drain plug is going to be a bear also. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks

Good luck! At least you tried the fill plug first.

Your best bet is probably going to be a long cheater with the truck on a lift if possible, though if an impact wrench didn't get it off, I don't know if that will either. How long did you give the PB Blaster to work? Give a few liberal sprays over a day and see if it loosens up the next day.

Also, try loosening it with the trans warm. A manual is only going to get so hot, but it may be enough to help loosen the plugs. Not so sure I'd take a torch to it, just try driving around for a little while.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

This! Good call.

Yeah, give the Blaster a day to work and try a breaker bar.

Trick: If you can get the wrench in a position where you need to push it up to loosen the bolt, slide a floor jack under and let gravity help you.

Originally Posted By: ABerns
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

This! Good call.

Yeah, give the Blaster a day to work and try a breaker bar.

If it all fails, try a very small gas jet to heat the plug after you drain the oil. Then repeat with WD40 and the impact wrench. I've had occasions when force and fluid failed, but heat first always budges anything not fully corroded in.

in general:
dont use an impact they can be more likely to break/damage the housing.

use a 25" breaker bar and hang on it if needed

you can also try tightening it slightly to move it then loosen.

Last edited:
Perhaps more specifically direct the gas flame to warm the area around the plug since the aluminum will expand more than the steel plug.
Tapered plugs are like battery terminals - there's a built-in mechanical advantage that may not be obvious to the person tightening it.

I drove mine and got the tranny casing hot. That made the drain bolt come right off. Give that a try.

Last edited:
gman -

You are smart to check the fill plug first!
For anybody else reading this, think about it!

Use a 6 point flank drive socket in 1/2" drive. Go spend $6 at an auto parts store.
If you can, hit the head of the bolt with the socket on it straight on with a hammer - this often loosens things [don't go crazy and crack your trans!].
And use a breaker bar with an extension.
good luck

Try a 50/50 mix of acetone and tranny fluid, give it an hour or so.Best liquid wrench I have ever used!

Thanks for all the replies, I had to heat the plugs to get them out. A small gas jet around both plugs for about 1 minute each did the trick. Got it filled with the Amsoil GL4 MTF and it shifts like buttah! Thanks again. Gman

For anyone else, follow Mechtech's advice--get a wrench that fits just right. If you have a hex head on the plug, get a six point socket (more contact area).

Also note that Nissan drain/fill plugs on older models are 13mm, not 1/2" (12.7mm). Harbor Freight sells a drain plug socket set which includes a 13mm 3/8" drive socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back