Struggling with fuel filter quick disconnect fitting

Those are the wrong fittings for nylon line. Lines like the stock ones usually are made up in a factory due to the very high force required to push the tubing on.

sometimes pliers over do it.
This is a very good point. If you crush it with pliers it will grab onto the filter nipple a different way and not come off.

This will be easier if you remove the metal line at the back and unbolt it first. If those two operations also cause problems you really should rethink replacing it at all. Spending any time or money on an old Saturn that already runs seems to be a folly.

I would be trying to not need to use those if I’m honest. The plastic fuel pipe is shrunk onto the connectors and I would think will need to be warmed very carefully to get it to give any flex to either fit over the connectors or then seal.

That plastic pipe got very soft very quickly when warmed.

Got the filter removed. Had to cut one of the fittings off, but the other one came out fine as well as the metal line on the other side. Now the problem is I can't press the filter on the metal line to click on. Tried for over an hour. Thought these are supposed to go on pretty easy, but no. It came off easy but the old one is a slightly different design with a plastic retainer. The new filter does away with that and has these metal prongs in the filter.

IMG_4404.JPG

IMG_4406.JPG

IMG_4408.JPG

I would be trying to not need to use those if I’m honest. The plastic fuel pipe is shrunk onto the connectors and I would think will need to be warmed very carefully to get it to give any flex to either fit over the connectors or then seal.

That plastic pipe got very soft very quickly when warmed.
those replacements will work they come with clamps to crimp on and work very well used many of them because of these rust on problems

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Those are the wrong fittings for nylon line. Lines like the stock ones usually are made up in a factory due to the very high force required to push the tubing on.

This is a very good point. If you crush it with pliers it will grab onto the filter nipple a different way and not come off.

This will be easier if you remove the metal line at the back and unbolt it first. If those two operations also cause problems you really should rethink replacing it at all. Spending any time or money on an old Saturn that already runs seems to be a folly.
those replacements will work they come with clamps to crimp on and work very well used many of them because of these rust on problems

I have encountered some filters and fuel lines that required a special small tool (not expensive at all). Usually found at a NAPA or AutoZone. They are used very easily to unclamp the connections without any damage to either end and no fighting with all
types of wrenches. OOOPs too late. I see you got it off and going with something else.

Interesting, I wouldn’t have thought that the nylon pipe would deform enough with those crimp clams to make a good enough seal.

I don’t think I would feel comfortable with that set up on my car so definitely wouldn’t be using it on a customers. Put a new pipe on. You cannot put a price on safety and I don’t think it’s safe.

Looked up those fittings at the SUR&R website. They have multiple applications available for different fluid applications. Banding that fuel line by hand is a new one for me. PEX for the car. Equal or better than metal that fails eventually.

It's like the one at 0:30

That is a good video of different types. I see what you had. Maybe as you said. RUSTED n swollen. The ones at 02:30 + 03:45 are the types I had to deal with a few times on Fords. Looks like a witch..... you may have to engineer your own set up if you cant replace with OEM which would not surprise these days.

Back