Question about GM OEM fuel filter and CEL P0171?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

A few weeks ago I got a CEL on my 2005 Saturn Ion soon after filling up my gas tank. It turned out to be P0171 which is 'Fuel Trim System Lean'. The CEL comes and goes every few days (it's intermitent). After some internet research I've found that it's possible that it needs an 'updated calibration' done by the dealer (apparently the CEL was overly sensitive). I have been trying to eliminate all possible causes before going to the dealer inorder to avoid paying for something that I could do myself. I cleaned the TB and MAF, checked for vacuum leaks and attempted to change the fuel filter (the car has 38K and the owners manual says the fuel filter is good for 100K) but maybe it has a slight restriction.

When I got under the car I see that the OE filter (for this 2.2 Ecotec) does not have the little plastic 'quick disconnect' tangs....but rather the fuel line goes right into the filter. The other side of the filter has 2 lines which have quick disconnects.

I didn't want to damage the fuel line until I found out how the single solid line is disconnected from the filter.

I have changed GM fuel filters before and was surprised when I didn't find the plastic quick connect on the OE filter. Can anyone advise me how to remove the filter without a problem? (The aftermarket Purolator has the plastic tabs so re-installatiuoin won't be a problem).

Also, anybody with advice/experience with the P0171 CEL on an early Ecotec would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not your engine, but on the Toyota side a P0171 is usually caused by a large vacuum leak. Many times coming from the intake manifold gasket. Suggest you test and see if you have that problem.

Right the line just goes into the filter. They call it a metal collar connector but the quick connector is just built into the fuel filter. You just need a fuel line quick disconnect tool that sticks into the connector (fuel filter). The tool comes in different styles. Here's someone using a different style: http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/howto-section/29475-fuel-filter-change-pictures.html

About the CEL there's a good chance it needs PCM recalibrated but changing the fuel filter and making sure the air intake is seated and tight on the throttle body would be reasonable first steps.

Last edited:
Thanks Mechanix....That's exactly what I'm trying to do (change fuel filter and eliminate things that the dealer will try to charge me an arm and a leg for). I cleaned the TB which did have some carbon build-up. I also ran a bottle of Techron through the system. Ironically, the car never felt better....that's why I'm thinking it's a calibration issue....covered under warranty, hopefully.

PS: That link was exactly what I needed...

Originally Posted By: pbm
A few weeks ago I got a CEL on my 2005 Saturn Ion soon after filling up my gas tank.

Did you check the seal on your gas cap? Before you go crazy I think I would invest in a new fuel cap and see what happens.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Jake
Originally Posted By: pbm
A few weeks ago I got a CEL on my 2005 Saturn Ion soon after filling up my gas tank.

Did you check the seal on your gas cap? Before you go crazy I think I would invest in a new fuel cap and see what happens.

I hadn't thought of that but I will give it a shot.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back