Struggling with fuel filter quick disconnect fitting

I'm trying to change the filter on the Saturn Ion. It's got those fittings where you squeeze in the tabs to release it, but been I been at it an hour with no luck. Twisting, pressing in and prying out. Don't want to risk breaking the plastic fitting. Maybe rust on the filter has expanded so it's stuck? Should I spray some lube on it? Cut off the nipple flush with the filter and deal with the broken end stuck in the fitting more easily?

filter.jpg

I struggled with this same setup on my Cobalt, and I was worried I'd break it. It is almost certainly the same as on your car.

Hi
i have never encountered anything like this, but it could possibly be rust.
I would try spraying penetrant inside the joint and some light tapping and wiggling of the hose to try and free it.

Have you been able to break free the bolt on the opposite side of the filter? I would start there, then after removal of the bolt, try turning the filter in a circular motion. That may help free up the connector.

My fear would be once the push on connector is off, the bolt on part of the filter is frozen with rust.

Have you been able to break free the bolt on the opposite side of the filter? I would start there, then after removal of the bolt, try turning the filter in a circular motion. That may help free up the connector.

My fear would be once the push on connector is off, the bolt on part of the filter is frozen with rust.
That's some kind of push-on on connector.

my vw Jetta + now audi TT have the fiddly fittings as well glad fuel filters last a long time, thats a great vid + everything is EZE when NOT in a confined space for sure!! i will take a simple "hose" clamp any day!

There are more than a few types of GM fuel filters. Below are pics of two of the more popular. If you filter has the nut on one end, I suggest removing that side first. I suspect it is frozen with rust, and will take multiple days off penetrating oil to have a shot at breaking free.

640X640.jpg
71oYU4-7MTL._AC_SX679_.jpg

There are more than a few types of GM fuel filters. Below are pics of two of the more popular. If you filter has the nut on one end, I suggest removing that side first. I suspect it is frozen with rust, and will take multiple days off penetrating oil to have a shot at breaking free.

View attachment 150235View attachment 150234
No nut. Push on connectors all around.

IMG_4348.JPG

IMG_4349.JPG

@atkovi
ok, but if the other side comes off easier, it will give u more flexibility and i would hope the possibilty to turn the canister and see if it is indeed frozen or not.
just a few thoughts

How many miles on it?

I really struggle to see the use of changing a fuel filter, unless you are experiencing a fueling problem at WOT.

Only ONCE in my mechanic career did I see a drive ability issue which was resolved with a fuel filter. That was a service truck with an 8.1L with 150k miles. Think about how much gas went through that filter....

That said, I'd leave it alone unless its leaking.

@atkovi
ok, but if the other side comes off easier, it will give u more flexibility and i would hope the possibilty to turn the canister and see if it is indeed frozen or not.
just a few thoughts
Don't think it's any easier. There is even less access on the other side.

How many miles on it?

I really struggle to see the use of changing a fuel filter, unless you are experiencing a fueling problem at WOT.

Only ONCE in my mechanic career did I see a drive ability issue which was resolved with a fuel filter. That was a service truck with an 8.1L with 150k miles. Think about how much gas went through that filter....

That said, I'd leave it alone unless its leaking.
200k+ Just doing routine maintenance. Rather change a $15 filter than a $150 pump. It's not leaking now, but as rusty as it is, I'm not waiting until it does.

1st get some lube into the connectors
2nd unbolt the filter from the mount point
3rd disconnect the other fitting on the other side that looks like it’s got a big clip on it
4th turn the filter while pinching the tabs on the connector. You might be better doing this by hand as sometimes pliers over do it.
5th be gentle it will come off eventually!

Like the others suggested, give it a steady stream of penetrant of your choice, like 5 seconds at least, aiming into the open ends. Let it sit a bit then blast it with compressed air for another 10-15 seconds. Might be full of fine grit and debris that mechanically is preventing the clips from compressing to release. Or hit it with the torch :cool:.

Like the others suggested, give it a steady stream of penetrant of your choice, like 5 seconds at least, aiming into the open ends. Let it sit a bit then blast it with compressed air for another 10-15 seconds. Might be full of fine grit and debris that mechanically is preventing the clips from compressing to release. Or hit it with the torch :cool:.
Now that you say that, I wonder if there’s an O-ring in those push-fit connectors that got rust jacked. I had a similar struggle with a Ford quick connector.

Back