Strong Smell in Bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to bring it up and scare the OP but that smell COULD be
the residual element of meth manufacture. I hope that the house was never used to manufacture the stuff. You MIGHT want to have the house tested.

Depending on the laws, if the house has meth residue on walls or other surfaces, you may have legal recourse if the seller or
realtor failed to disclose the issue.

Its definitely the toilet. Pulled it up and appears someone removed it and tried to reinstall it without replacing the wax ring. It's pretty deformed and noticed a small amount of 'leakage' around the ring itself.

Wax seals can be problematic, especially if there is any floor flex.
And when trying to position the toilet perfectly centered and over the bolts with no help to guide.

I replaced a wax seal, with one of these, then the owner bought a new toilet, and no scraping up of old seal, didnt have to touch it, just dropped new toilet on top easy peazy.

I'll never use a wax seal again
http://www.amazon.com/Sani-Seal-Llc-BL01...s=toilet+gasket

I've smelled male cat graffiti many times and it's never smelled like ammonia.

It has it's own very distinct, pungent smell.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Its definitely the toilet. Pulled it up and appears someone removed it and tried to reinstall it without replacing the wax ring. It's pretty deformed and noticed a small amount of 'leakage' around the ring itself.

That's good news! The large wax ring I referenced previously should do it.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
What is the prize for correct answer?

I think you get the old ring.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
Wax seals can be problematic, especially if there is any floor flex.
And when trying to position the toilet perfectly centered and over the bolts with no help to guide.

I replaced a wax seal, with one of these, then the owner bought a new toilet, and no scraping up of old seal, didnt have to touch it, just dropped new toilet on top easy peazy.

I'll never use a wax seal again
http://www.amazon.com/Sani-Seal-Llc-BL01...s=toilet+gasket

I use the same thing.

I had a different reason. My new toilet flushes with such force, that a basic wax ring can't take the pressure.

Does the OP have a toilet with an extra powerful flush? Some high performance Eljer toilets would always blow out the toilet gasket.

Does the Sani-Seal work in original builder installed toilet? Looks like I have to do this for one of the upstairs bathroom. The tiled bathroom is original in a 15year old house. This would be the first time I would be tackling anything like this, so I want to have every possible piece of "may need hardware" on hand before going at it. I already put the Kroil on the nuts which look shiny and don't see any corrosion around. The toilet is not rocking. Could I still have a broken/corroded flange underneath?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I hate to bring it up and scare the OP but that smell COULD be
the residual element of meth manufacture. I hope that the house was never used to manufacture the stuff. You MIGHT want to have the house tested.

Depending on the laws, if the house has meth residue on walls or other surfaces, you may have legal recourse if the seller or
realtor failed to disclose the issue.

you're employing Occam's razor -- the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.therefore, it HAS to be a former meth lab.it can't be plumbing related.no.

has anyone considered a random alien visit ? an alien COULD have thought that the bathroom was a cowl, and went to pee in it. that makes as much sense as the meth lab theory.

I like the way you think, man. thanks for the laugh. have a good day.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01

That would do it. Leaky seal at the wax ring would allow sewer gas to vent into the room, since the trap in part of the toilet. That is about as simple as the problem could turn out to be. Kudos for finding it.

Sniff all the soaps in the bathroom. Some soaps, especially those containing milk, may sometimes emit a strong ammonia smell. First time it happened I thought the cleaning lady had accidentally gotten some household cleaner on a bar of body soap. I got nauseated by the smell. Later I found out that milk soaps often smell very pungent, especially if not properly cured. Kidney failure can result in a phantom ammonia smell, but you would smell it not only in your bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back