Strong Smell in Bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently moved into a new to me house (built in 2005). I have an issue that I can't seem to figure out with a smell in the bathroom. It is a strong ammonia type smell, not unlike cat urine. No cats in the bathroom by previous owners. When I first smelled it it was after the shower had been used. Trying to pinpoint it, I drano-ed the drains, cleaned and scrubbed the tub several times, washed the new shower curtains, etc. smell is still there. After trying again, noticed it seemed to come from the hot water. So I drained the tank, flushed it, replaced the anode rod, smell seems to have gone away from the water, but after a shower it's back even though water itself doesn't smell. No other taps or drains in the house smell. The house has no leaks, slab floor, standard vent plumbing, and it's driving me nuts. Anyone got any ideas?

Toilet wax ring, a dry trap or organisms living just under the rim of the toilet bowl.

If it really is from the water itself you should smell it in other bathrooms or kitchen/laundry room, which you don't.

Is your plumbing properly vented? If not, sewer gas could be bubbling up. The wax ring under your toilet is a potential source for gas too. Make sure all of the drains have a trap.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Is your plumbing properly vented? If not, sewer gas could be bubbling up. The wax ring under your toilet is a potential source for gas too. Make sure all of the drains have a trap.

^^ this probably.

I'd also guess that the shower drain isn't vented (or the vent is plugged) and the water going down the drain is displacing sewer gas up.

If you fill the tub and then open the drain does it drain normally?

Do you have baseboard heat? That traps smells and lets them out with humidity. Hard to clean all the little fins.

Fiberglass insulation has some form of urea in it. Maybe the bathroom walls were not prepared correctly and the insulation is getting wet somehow.

Thanx to all for the responses.
Spackard-- it ain't me or family. No smell in the other shower.
Pop rivit-- I thought about that too, already planned on replacing that next.
Bandito-- as far as I can tell venting is ok, all drains go down quickly.
Bepperb -- drains fast
Blaze-- I'll check them again.
Nebroch-- not sure of the actual month
Friendly-- oh geez!!!! Lol!!!!!!!
Eljefino-- no base heating, just standard heat pump
Bottom feeder-- no evidence of any leaks, and I have been pulling hair out looking!!!

I figure on doing the toilet seals first, I have a choice of wax or a newfangled rubber type double seal made by plumbers in America. Might try that one

Chinese drywall? Is the shower tile or one of those pre-formed units? What is on the floor? Tile? Vinyl? carpet? (you never know....).

I'd pull the toilet, replace the wax ring, then lay down a good bead of caulk around the base upon installation to thoroughly seal off all vent leaks.

I'd also recommend pulling the P-trap in the sink and having a look. What's in there? Blast it out with a garden hose. Upon reinstallation, be sure the nut attaching it to the wall makes a tight seal and they're no leaks. Be sure to run the water in the sink to refill the trap....

Did you check if the smell is coming from other drains in the bathroom ? Like the bathtub or shower or sink drains ?
Try plugging them overnight and see if the smell goes away. If it does then you probably want to put some drain cleaner in those.

I keep a gallon of white vinegar around to pour a little bit in drains after I pull the hair and crud out of them.

Keeps everything moving well, and no harsh chemicals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back