Stripping screws on my chonda engine

I was having a starting issue with my Chonda engine on my Westinghouse generator. I watched some Youtube videos and figured it would be easy enough to clean the carb. I got the carb off easily and when I went to remove the bowl using an appropriate-sized Phillips head with almost no force the screw centers stripped. At that point, I found a replacement carb for $30 and figured that was just easier to replace it than keep messing with the old carb. At that point, I had nothing to lose, and when I tried to take out all the rest of the screws every one of them stripped. The new carb is on and it runs beautifully.

Is this typical with say a Honda or BS engine or just a feature of the cheaper built engines?

Yup, it is a combination of cheaper/softer metal and the screws always being crazy tight on them. I just finished replacing a recoil starter on a Chinese Honda clone engine on a snowblower. It is probably 2-3 years old, barely used. All of the bolts snapped and there wasn't even any rust. :(

Threads stripped or screw head stripped?

I recently bought a JIS screwdriver set and was quite amazed at how well it grips Philips screws.

I wonder if they have a threadlocker to prevent any issues with loosening up after assembly?

Saving on parts cost is almost always done via poor metallurgy. Ask Hyundai/Kia owners about early engine failures.... An exhaust valve can be made from mild steel, recycled steel, stainless steel, coated Ti, or 21-4N steel alloy, or maybe even Inconel. Guess what material the cheap manufacturers choose? Guess the price savings between steel and a super-alloy?

Threads stripped or screw head stripped?

I recently bought a JIS screwdriver set and was quite amazed at how well it grips Philips screws.

I wonder if they have a threadlocker to prevent any issues with loosening up after assembly?
Screw heads. Just placed the screwdriver and with very little force the + became an o...

2x on JIS screwdrivers or bits. Japanese Industrial Standard is what those Phillips head screws are. Worth buying and no more issues.
All the Pacific rim built stuff use JIS, even those cheap screws that come with those curtain brackets your wife has you putting up.

2x on JIS screwdrivers or bits. Japanese Industrial Standard is what those Phillips head screws are. Worth buying and no more issues.
All the Pacific rim built stuff use JIS, even those cheap screws that come with those curtain brackets your wife has you putting up.
Hmm, I thought this screwdriver that I bought in the past was JIS, but I don’t see it in the description now that I’m looking. That said, I’ve been impressed with it’s ability to deal with screws all the same. Much better grip than my usual go-to’s in my toolbox.

I really like the screwdrivers by Vessel. Don't seem to cam out as bad.

img_20210325_214828573-jpg.51153

img_20210325_214913148-jpg.51154
img_20210325_214739726-jpg.51155

Japanese Industrial Standard. Thank you, Supton and usual suspects, I learned some things from reading this thread. To quote Inspector Clouseau: "A mystery is solv-ed" Does Ace carry JIS bits? Also 20 yrs of old BMWS spoiled me for fasteners. Anytime I fought with a bolt on the Ranger ,most of them, I replaced with a similar bolt from my stash of BMW hard ware. Not just Fords, GM and Jeep stuff was none too great either:cool:

Back