Street Triple: Finding oil in Quebec/Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a hard time finding a good deal for motorcycle oil up here. I have a Triumph Street triple, the user manual says I should put 10w40 or 15w50 semi or full synthetic oil in it.

I found some Motul semi-synthetic 10w40 at the motorcycle store, priced 14$/L. The triumph dealer has the "triumph approved" oil for 75$ (assuming it's 4L, and I think it's Mobil racing 4T). I ended up going for some Mobil 1 mx4t 10w40 (not sure if it's just old or they haven't updated the name in canada to racing 4t) that I found at Canadian Tire. I payed 16$/L (seemed to be worth the extra 2$ for full synth).

Canadian tire also has the Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 at 11$/L but I'm not sure I should put this in my bike. I think the box said JASO-MA approved but it seems like the new one isn't JASO-MA anymore. I'm not sure if we just have old batches of oil up here...

What do you guys use? What do you recommend? I want to keep my bike in good shape without having to spend tons on oil. Where do you guys buy your oil in Canada?

My dad has a truimph not the t100 but the regular one. its a 2010 and is bone stock. The dealer says the Motorcycle Mobil 1 10w40 stuff is the stuff to use. I know they dont know jack about oil but they never see oil related probs and the bikes run great on the stuff. I was pretty stoked to hear that my pops put Mobil 1 in his bike and its syn as well. You should try walmart for good mobil prices and even consider Buying online. I dont use amsoil products and dont think they are the best but i do know they are really good and PABLO can get you some great prices and it may be cheaper than 75$ per 4L (ouch)
even after you ship it. Buying a couple cases could save you the $ you want. Pablo heeeellllppppp. We need some $ amount for some amsoil motorcycle oil.

Anyone know if the MX4T to Racing 4T name transition also included some modification to the product itself? I don't find Racing 4T other than at the overpriced triumph dealer.

Btw, Walmart is where I payed 16$/L for MX4T.

Originally Posted By: ldiamond
I don't find Racing 4T other than at the overpriced triumph dealer.

Btw, Walmart is where I payed 16$/L for MX4T.

Here in Central Indiana ive bought MOBIL 1 4T full synthetic racing oil for the past couple of years. $9.xx a qrt Valvolines version of the same thing is $7.xx a quart, BOTH at our walmart superstore in the motorcycle section. Ive used both and noticed zero difference.. matter-o-factly i have Rotella on the shelf thats going in the bike next..

Try the Rotella T6 (5W40, full synth), the Rotella Triple protection (15W40, dino) or Mobil 1 15W50 (full synth). All are proven in bikes and come on sale at Canadian Tire fairly frequently.....

BTW, congrats on the Triple, very nice bike
smile.gif

Last edited:
Possibly, but I haven't seen this oil in any big retailers. It's not at Walmart, not at Canadian Tire either.

Originally Posted By: Mik
Try the Rotella T6 (5W40, full synth), the Rotella Triple protection (15W40, dino) or Mobil 1 15W50 (full synth). All are proven in bikes and come on sale at Canadian Tire fairly frequently.....

BTW, congrats on the Triple, very nice bike
smile.gif

But these are not JASO-MA approved (for wet-clutches).

But these are not JASO-MA approved (for wet-clutches).

The Rotella T6 and Triple Protection are both JASO-MA rated.

Possibly, but I haven't seen this oil in any big retailers. It's not at Walmart, not at Canadian Tire either.

Amsoil you order for delivery. Or the closest warehouse for PC pick-up is in Toronto.

Thanks,

Paul

I found the Rotella T6 online and it's about half the price compared to Mobil 1 MX4T. Wondering if it's worth saving that 35$ or if the bike will run better on the oil recommended in the user manual.

I found the Rotella T6 online and it's about half the price compared to Mobil 1 MX4T. Wondering if it's worth saving that 35$ or if the bike will run better on the oil recommended in the user manual.

I would use the most expensive oil possible and change it at half the interval recommended by the manufacturer.
laugh.gif

Unless you're using your bike on the track, any modern oil that conforms with the manufacturers recommendation will be just fine.

Are you in or near Montreal? Moto international (BMW-Harley dealer) on St-Jaques has the best price for 4 liter jugs of Motul 5100 semi synthetic. Last summer they where charging $29.99 per 4 liter jug same price as shell rotella. They have 10w40 and 15w50. Motul 5100 has got to be the best smelling oil I have ever used!

I have been using the Amsoil 10W-40 (that Pablo posted) on my 2009 street triple for a good 2k miles and has not burned one drop. Shifting is very smooth, don't seem to have any issues turning over the engine when is cold outside and I feel pretty confident with a long oci after seeing some uoa's out there. It was much cheaper for me, cuz I got the preferred customer discount and bought a couple of changes at a time (including my other vehicles) to save on shipping.

Bought the bike with 2600 miles with Mobil 4t in it, noticed the shifting was a bit clunky and the oil had less than 1k miles on it. You could get away with using 20w-50, I just don't see the need after seeing how great the 10w-40 has performed for me.

correction, I changed the oil it had to mobil 4t at 3k and ran it up to 5.5k miles. Changed to Amsoil 10w-40 at the time and currently have 7.7k miles. Reason for the change was because I was going on a 1.5k miles + and the shifting was a bit clunky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back