Streaks of Adhesive / Glue in Premium Guard PG4612

Look closely. They have a streak where they shouldn't.
Not really apparent in those YT video shots, like in your photo. Hard to say for sure in these shots, maybe one small streak.

1717028535660.jpg

1717028576597.jpg

The listing was removed.

got it.. well under official Premium Guard on Walmart, even the cheapest single filters they have are almost $10.. So if you were buying a case.. first of all that is a major red flag IMO if it is under $10 and it could of been through Parts Geek on Walmart which is a major seller of Premium Guard so they probably just had some cases of seconds.

The cheapest pack of filters from PG official on Walmart is around the $50 mark and that is for a 6 pack.

I would return those right away.

got it.. well under official Premium Guard on Walmart, even the cheapest single filters they have are almost $10.. So if you were buying a case.. first of all that is a major red flag IMO if it is under $10 and it could of been through Parts Geek on Walmart which is a major seller of Premium Guard so they probably just had some cases of seconds.

The cheapest pack of filters from PG official on Walmart is around the $50 mark and that is for a 6 pack.

I would return those right away.
No, they were shipped from Premium Guard in Memphis TN. It was posted here. It's anyone's guess as to why it was priced so low. I think it was a pricing error.

No, they were shipped from Premium Guard in Memphis TN. It was posted here. It's anyone's guess as to why it was priced so low. I think it was a pricing error.

ah.. I missed that thread.. and looks like the OP cut one open which was a little more sloppy than usual.

ah.. I missed that thread.. and looks like the OP cut one open which was a little messier than usual.
The one OP cut was from Home Depot:
Interesting. So, I had gotten a few individually when HomeDepot was selling them for $2.35 each. Thats the one I cut open on page 2 of this thread. Made in China. The first case I received was also made in China. Second case I got today made in Vietnam. Date codes for both cases were 24XXXXX XXXX similar to what you posted. The ones I got individially from HD were date coded 23XXXXX XXXX.
I didn't see streaks though. I wonder if the China ones are (generally) cleaner in that regard.

It's a Honda it will eat anything and never die. But seriously I wouldn't recommend it.
None of my vehicles with the exception of my crate motor Jimmy are precision instruments. I've never looked inside of the 100's of filters I've put on other then when pre-filling them. Even if I saw it beforehand I'd still put it on.

I poked around with a plastic tool and removed some bits without too much effort. It doesn't feel brittle. Maybe like an epoxy. I'm reconsidering how I want to handle this... C&P's have shown sloppy glue on the inlet side of filters. Those bits are probably as likely to dislodge and get through via bypass...

Last edited:
The one I cut open was made in China. Date code started with 23. This filter was not part of the case deal shipped by Premium Guard, but purchased at Home Depot when they were selling them for $2.35.

I bought 2 cases, shipped from PG. One was from China, the other Vietnam. I looked through them and do not see any streaks, but do see the glue around the base of center tube. The picture below is pretty much what I'm seeing (this was from the C&P of the Home Depot PG4612: (Whip City on youtube cuts a bunch of PG filters. Almost every one I see has the glue like this. If it had streaks, however, I worry about that....)

1717073476681.jpg

Last edited:
The one I cut open was made in China. Date code started with 23. This filter was not part of the case deal shipped by Premium Guard, but purchased at Home Depot when they were selling them for $2.35.

I bought 2 cases, shipped from PG. One was from China, the other Vietnam. I looked through them and do not see any streaks, but do see the glue around the base of center tube. The picture below is pretty much what I'm seeing (this was from the C&P of the Home Depot PG4612: (Whip City on youtube cuts a bunch of PG filters. Almost every one I see has the glue like this. If it had streaks, however, I worry about that....)

View attachment 222095
Mine have all the visible glue like this picture, but no streaks like in the OP’s pic. I assume this pic is normal with nothing to worry about? I don’t recall ever seeing so much glue at the bottom of other filters.

Mine have all the visible glue like this picture, but no streaks like in the OP’s pic. I assume this pic is normal with nothing to worry about? I don’t recall ever seeing so much glue at the bottom of other filters.
Every PG I have ever seen has the glue around base, so no, not worried about that. That glue isn't going anywhere.

The little tiny blobs and streaks, however, I worry about that. OP should send that picture to PG and see what they say.

How about the bits of glue on the outer part in the 3rd picture? They're on the inlet side of the filter, but if they come off and the filter goes into bypass, seems they could also get through...

IMG_4448-glue.jpg

Every PG I have ever seen has the glue around base, so no, not worried about that. That glue isn't going anywhere.

The little tiny blobs and streaks, however, I worry about that. OP should send that picture to PG and see what they say.
The big bead (around the circumference of the center tube) and big blogs (like in post 31) are stuck down very well. The glue PG uses is stout and sticks to metal and media very well, not like the black flimsy rubber type glue used in some other filters. However, I agree that a small spot or small thin streak of glue might be more apt to come off verses the big bead or blobs of glue.

This is act a very interesting point to be made…

I laughed because of how you worded that… Sounded like the way I would say it.

Others said theirs were all fine, so maybe they were lucky, maybe I was unlucky... or maybe the glue doesn't even matter.

How about the bits of glue on the outer part in the 3rd picture? They're on the inlet side of the filter, but if they come off and the filter goes into bypass, seems they could also get through...

View attachment 222127
Honestly, if this was an issue, we would have a ton of cars on the side of the road right now. Doubtful that is a problem at all.

This has plenty of glue in bottom of center tube . Looks to be solid . Also , dated 23 . Have the 85334 on the '18 Accent and plan to keep it in place until sometime in October . Sad that so many things are undependable in quality . Mostly about quantity (💲) .

IMG_4952.JPG
IMG_4949.JPG

IMG_4948.JPG

Last edited:
The black glue Purolator uses is what worries me more. I think Whip City found this glue much harder to peel off.

This is concerning as well. Have the MOBIL 1 E.P. M-110A on the '13 FIT . It's staying on until October and hope (🤞) for the best . So many issues with different brands of oil filters . No in between . :rolleyes:

IMG_4961.JPG
IMG_4960.JPG

I just watched a bunch of Whip City Wrencher's videos where glue was mentioned. There are so many examples of excess glue on the outer surface of the metal end caps, including ACDelco, Bosch, Champ, Fleetguard, Fram, Mahle, Microgard, Mobil1, Motorcraft, Napa, Purolator, Wix... I do realize there are only a few manufacturers making the filters for these brands. I guess at least that glue has to get through the bypass valve.

Back