Strange oil consumption issue with '04 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rat407
I wonder how long you CAT will last at rate of oil use?

20 years. Most manufacturers spec 700mi/quart as the low end of acceptable. They would have to do longevity calcs based on that.

Not sure if you are using synthetic, but synthetic doesnt show smoke hardly on consumption. The only reliable test i have seen is toiletpaper/paper towel held over the exhaust tip while someone gives it gas... the paper towel will have tiny spatters..its a fine mist so very hard to see without the white toilet paper/papertowel.

My thoughts are a combination of leaking valve seals and coked/stuck rings. Neither can be fixed with any solvent.

If it were mine i would just buy a couple of gallons of 15w40 and drive it.

It's telling you that it's ready for rings, maybe pistons, valve stem seals, and/or guides. You've gotten a bunch of nearly-free miles out of that vehicle, sir---it's time to pay up for a well-deserved top-end job, or buy another one.

Last edited:
I had a friend's 00 Camry that did the same thing.
The oil sometimes is low down to only 1 qts and they were not good in getting oil check and change.

It was driven till more than 400K without issue other than the suspension is bad, etc.
Then it was wrecked anyway so we never knew how long it will last.

My advice, it is probably too expensive to fix it even if you know the cause.
Of course, you need to know the cause before fixing it.
So, just drive it as long as you can tolerate it and just keep checking the oil.
It is a Toyota, you probably have to shoot it to kill it. LOL.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
I wonder how long you CAT will last at rate of oil use?

I would say a good while yet since I just had it replaced at 300K miles...

Originally Posted By: khittner
It's telling you that it's ready for rings, maybe pistons, valve stem seals, and/or guides. You've gotten a bunch of nearly-free miles out of that vehicle, sir---it's time to pay up for a well-deserved top-end job, or buy another one.

A car with this many miles isn't worth the cost of doing that. I'll just keep driving it until it dies...

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
I had a friend's 00 Camry that did the same thing.
The oil sometimes is low down to only 1 qts and they were not good in getting oil check and change.

It was driven till more than 400K without issue other than the suspension is bad, etc.
Then it was wrecked anyway so we never knew how long it will last.

My advice, it is probably too expensive to fix it even if you know the cause.
Of course, you need to know the cause before fixing it.
So, just drive it as long as you can tolerate it and just keep checking the oil.
It is a Toyota, you probably have to shoot it to kill it. LOL.

That's exactly what I plan on doing....

With the sudden onset of oil burning, I would suspect that there is a restriction somewhere in the PCV system.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
When you changed the PCV valve, did you use an OE one or an aftermarket one?
Having said that, at 345K miles, one quart every 700 miles isn't horrible.

Aftermarket

Removed an OE one and replaced with aftermarket? I would get another OE one in there.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Aftermarket

Removed an OE one and replaced with aftermarket? I would get another OE one in there.

The PCV system is not just the PCV valve. There are hoses, connectors, orifices, oil separator, etc, any of which can become clogged or leak. A leak in the PCV system can also cause this problem because it can prevent the system from drawing a vacuum in the crankcase. And don't forget to check the fresh air inlet side of the PCV system.

A car with this many miles isn't worth the cost of doing that. I'll just keep driving it until it dies...

We all have different views on how to assess the economics of vehicle repairs. There's probably 20 hours of labor in replacing the head and rings + another $1K in parts. You know how the rest of the car is, and what parts you've already replaced, their expected lifespan, etc. I look at the cost of repairs, not as whether it'll exceed the current market value of the car (which is probably just scrap value now), but how many car payments I can avoid by paying for the repair. If the repair keeps the car useable for more than _____ car payments, it's worth doing. As long as the car's body/chassis is structurally sound, and not aesthetically displeasing, I can afford to buy a lot of repair costs with that sort of amortization. The limiting factors for the car's lifespan then tend to become how long the supply chain will continue to supply the parts I need, an actual change in my transportation needs, or some desirable technical advance that the present car can't match (crashworthiness, fuel economy, etc.). Of course, my approach would probably have dealers, manufacturers, and lenders going broke pretty quickly if it was widely adopted.

Aftermarket

I don't trust aftermarket PCV valves. Did you at least try blowing through it in the wrong direction to see if it let air pass through it before you installed it?

We all have different views on how to assess the economics of vehicle repairs. There's probably 20 hours of labor in replacing the head and rings + another $1K in parts. You know how the rest of the car is, and what parts you've already replaced, their expected lifespan, etc. I look at the cost of repairs, not as whether it'll exceed the current market value of the car (which is probably just scrap value now), but how many car payments I can avoid by paying for the repair. If the repair keeps the car useable for more than _____ car payments, it's worth doing. As long as the car's body/chassis is structurally sound, and not aesthetically displeasing, I can afford to buy a lot of repair costs with that sort of amortization. The limiting factors for the car's lifespan then tend to become how long the supply chain will continue to supply the parts I need, an actual change in my transportation needs, or some desirable technical advance that the present car can't match (crashworthiness, fuel economy, etc.). Of course, my approach would probably have dealers, manufacturers, and lenders going broke pretty quickly if it was widely adopted.

I wouldn't have car payments even if I replaced the car. I'd just buy another Corolla with 100-150K miles and pay cash for it.

Aftermarket

I don't trust aftermarket PCV valves. Did you at least try blowing through it in the wrong direction to see if it let air pass through it before you installed it?

It was a new part, why would I do that? I assume a new part would do what its supposed to do...

It's a Corolla; they consume oil because of the bad piston ring design.

Try a piston soak; it's so easy to do on them. Done it many times on my Corolla; just make sure and cycle the starter with the plugs out and paper towels jammed into the plug wells to get any residual fluid out. Do it right before an oil change.

If consumption improves, you know the issue. If not, then you're screwed and will just have to keep topping off with oil. That's what I do on my Corolla; even with about a dozen piston soaks, probably 2 dozen induction cleanings with every cleaner on the market, tons of oil additives like Rislone, BG Ring cleaner etc, the consumption improves to about a quart every 2,000 miles and after several more thousand miles, the rings load up, and it's a quart every 1,000 on the dot. I top off after 500 miles and run 10,000 intervals. Car still runs awesome, doesn't smoke, gets fantastic mileage etc.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
It's a Corolla; they consume oil because of the bad piston ring design.

Try a piston soak; it's so easy to do on them. Done it many times on my Corolla; just make sure and cycle the starter with the plugs out and paper towels jammed into the plug wells to get any residual fluid out. Do it right before an oil change.

If consumption improves, you know the issue. If not, then you're screwed and will just have to keep topping off with oil. That's what I do on my Corolla; even with about a dozen piston soaks, probably 2 dozen induction cleanings with every cleaner on the market, tons of oil additives like Rislone, BG Ring cleaner etc, the consumption improves to about a quart every 2,000 miles and after several more thousand miles, the rings load up, and it's a quart every 1,000 on the dot. I top off after 500 miles and run 10,000 intervals. Car still runs awesome, doesn't smoke, gets fantastic mileage etc.

How many miles does yours have?

I like the idea of going through the PCV system. Maybe it's plugged elsewhere.

Can you beg/borrow/steal a borescope? I think there's some cheap ones on ebay/amazon that work with smartphones. I'd think bad rings would leave a mess around the piston tops.

An OEM PCV valve for this car is about 8 dolars, quite affordable.

Aftermarket

It was a new part, why would I do that? I assume a new part would do what its supposed to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back