Strange Issue on 2019 F150

Went out for dinner with my wife Thursday evening in the Suburban. Came back home to get some items out of my F-150. It is a 2019 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost, extended cab.

I hit unlock on the fob/remote/key... nothing. I hit the lock button a few times -- nothing. I hit remote start -- nothing. OK, I figured the battery died in the remote. I unlocked the door with the key and no interior lights. Figuring perhaps I turned the lighting off, I put the key in the ignition to start the truck. Not a thing, stone dead, deader than dead -- as if someone had the battery disconnected.

I assumed the battery had died completely. This truck is on it's OE AGM battery. I went inside to grab the other fob, and came back outside. In this time frame, about 5-7 minutes, maybe 10 minutes have passed. I hit lock, then unlock on the remote/key in the house -- the truck locked, then unlocked. I hit lock and unlock on the key/fob I had in my pocket (that I started with), and it locked and unlocked again. I remote started the truck -- started just fine. I unlocked the truck, all interior lights are lit, truck is running. Acting as if nothing had happened. I popped the hood -- both battery terminals are tight as can be, I can't even wiggle them loose.

I got in the truck, put the key in. turned it fully on, and drove around. All is just fine. Truck has been driving fine ever since.

The strangest issue I've ever seen. Anyone else ever see this? I am a bit hesitant to go to the dealer... they would prob think I'm nuts when I bring a just fine running truck and explain this issue.

Is it possible that the proximity sensor in the key fob or key that wasn't working is not functioning correctly where the other set of keys appeared to work the ways that should might be a problem with the proximity sensor in the non-working

Convert

Bad connections can happen anywhere, even inside a battery.

You need to know if it was a lack of power or a computer problem. Trying to think of something that is not controlled by a computer, maybe the brake lights could be checked?

Like you said, no mechanic can tell while it is working properly. Have to wait for it to happen again. Have a voltmeter ready to check if primary "always hot" circuits in the underhood fuse box have power.

Went out for dinner with my wife Thursday evening in the Suburban. Came back home to get some items out of my F-150. It is a 2019 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost, extended cab.

I hit unlock on the fob/remote/key... nothing. I hit the lock button a few times -- nothing. I hit remote start -- nothing. OK, I figured the battery died in the remote. I unlocked the door with the key and no interior lights. Figuring perhaps I turned the lighting off, I put the key in the ignition to start the truck. Not a thing, stone dead, deader than dead -- as if someone had the battery disconnected.

I assumed the battery had died completely. This truck is on it's OE AGM battery. I went inside to grab the other fob, and came back outside. In this time frame, about 5-7 minutes, maybe 10 minutes have passed. I hit lock, then unlock on the remote/key in the house -- the truck locked, then unlocked. I hit lock and unlock on the key/fob I had in my pocket (that I started with), and it locked and unlocked again. I remote started the truck -- started just fine. I unlocked the truck, all interior lights are lit, truck is running. Acting as if nothing had happened. I popped the hood -- both battery terminals are tight as can be, I can't even wiggle them loose.

I got in the truck, put the key in. turned it fully on, and drove around. All is just fine. Truck has been driving fine ever since.

The strangest issue I've ever seen. Anyone else ever see this? I am a bit hesitant to go to the dealer... they would prob think I'm nuts when I bring a just fine running truck and explain this issue.
Had this happen on my 2018 F250 not to long ago. Did this twice........put a new battery on and hasn’t happen since

Option 1 is a bad battery.

Option 2: I have a facility I visit roughly every two weeks. Doesn't matter where I park in the spots, my key Fob does not work and the truck is just wonky when I open the door manually with the key (ie: Alarm goes off or comes up with the warning to stop the alarm, start the truck, etc. )

It never happens anywhere else I go. Ever. But nearly every time at this facility this happens. (2016 F150 with the 2.7 for reference).

I've concluded there is some sort of signal interference there. What, I don't know.

My 2018 F-150 has had dozens of strange electrical occurrences in almost 3 years. 80% of them have been a blank infotainment screen for several minutes after first starting. This can last from 20 seconds to 2 hours. Strangeo_O

Bad batteries can have some really strange effects on electrical. Before winter my mom complained that sometimes when she would start the Lincoln the engine would shake for a minuet and then smooth out. The car would start right up and never had any other issues. She took it in for oil change service and she mentioned that engine shaking at start up. They tested and replaced the battery with no issues or shaking since then.

My Jeep was doing all kinds of strange stuff a while back. For a week or so things were not working or working in a strange way. Then one day at work the battery was dead. It had been a low battery the whole time causing me to question my sanity. A new battery and all was well.

If you feel like eliminating several possibilities ... Have battery load tested, clean and secure battery terminals loosen/clean then secure all grounds.

Back