Strange filter location in oil pan on my Grand Am

First time I've ever seen this. I guess when you think about it, it's a clever idea, placing the filter right where the oil is stored and easy to change right next to the drain plug. And I use the term, easy, with sarcasm. Removing the drain plug does not drain the filter. When you unscrew the filter cap you get a good drenching of oil. Then when you pull out the filter, with pliers, you get a second drenching of oil as does the pliers.

Oil filter.JPG

Oil filter2.JPG

Oil filter3.JPG

yeah... is that car from the 80's. seem to remember GM doing it that way on several cars..

My Grampa's 89 Celebrity was that way, one of the downsides to the last interation of the Duke, if the filter doesn't seal well on the pickup and you have no oil pressure then you have to make a mess to get to the filter again, at this point I think all the filters for these are out of production as most of them were scrapped a long time ago, my gramps got rid of that Celebrity probably a good decade ago at this point and it was pretty rusty. At one point the filters for this thing were on closeout at Rock Auto for like 50 cents a piece but who knows how old they are, at least you can inspect them for brittleness the only thing I'd be worried about is the pickup seals having hardened.

First time I've ever seen this. I guess when you think about it, it's a clever idea, placing the filter right where the oil is stored and easy to change right next to the drain plug. And I use the term, easy, with sarcasm. Removing the drain plug does not drain the filter. When you unscrew the filter cap you get a good drenching of oil. Then when you pull out the filter, with pliers, you get a second drenching of oil as does the pliers.

View attachment 188695

View attachment 188696

View attachment 188697
I had 87’ skylark with the iron Duke 4 cyl engine. Filter was used from the 87’ year to who knows. Good engine.

I had a BMW 1500 inline 4 cyl motorcycle that had the spin on filter inside the crankcase. You took a plug out to drain the oil. Then you took off a round plate to reach up and grab the filter. Only problem was the filter was wet with oil. Try loosening a spin on coated with oil. Even wiping it off didn't work. I only changed the oil one time then sold it.

They also did it that way on the Aurora 3.5 V6 models.
Is it the exact same way, I found someone changing the oil on a 2000 Intrique that should be the same engine, it just looks like the cartridge housing goes through the pan but it also has a drain plug, the duke the drain plug and the cartridge housing are one in the same so it always makes a mess since you have to drain the oil through a 3in plug.

Only $7.88 and free shipping ... :D
That's actually a decent price given that it looks like a champ labs synthetic filter ala Royal Purple/Amsoil/Fram Endurance, although it looks like it was manufactured in 99, but most of the filters you can buy for these may be 20+ years old at this point.

Back