Strange 5w-30 for my LS1 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, this site is wonderful. I just can't keep my eyes off from it.
Anyway, after seeing some UOA of LS1 engine with M1 5w-30, I thought I could try something thicker than M1 5w-30. Also, Patman has been telling people to go with thicker viscosity for LS1 engines. Over the Memorial Weekend, I changed oil w/ Motul Specific LL-01 5w-30.
 -

According to Product Data Sheet , it is 100% Ester-based synthetic and specially formulated to meet BMW Long Life-01 requirement. The viscosity at 100C is 12 cst, which falls into high end range for 30 weight. Since it meets the BMW LL-01 requirements, its HTHS is greater than 3.5 like GC 0w30. I hope HTHS is high enough for LS1 engines. So far I haven't driven the car much, the oil pressure at idle seems to be higher. I have to see how this oil will do for the summer. I am still looking for a holy grail for my LS1 engine. Hopefully I will fine the one like Patman found the one (GC 0w30) for his LT1 engine
smile.gif

I'm curious. Why do anyone buy Motul oil when there are so many other very excellent systhetic oil on the market that are easy to find and cost less??

Once you mail order, it doesn't make any difference which one you get and OTC's like MI are very average in his application. GC might be an exception but not always easy to find and not exactly proven yet. I've heard great reports about Motul's gear oils. Labatt Bear, let us know about the gas mileage you get with the Motul. They make some outstanding claims for that stuff.

427Z06, SSDude,
I sent you a PM.

I got this oil from a local independent MOTUL dealer. He sells 300V racing oils to local SCCA racers. Click 'Product Data Sheet' in the first message. It will direct you to his website.

The only reason I am using this oil is because it is ester-based synthetic. The only other ester-base synthetic is RedLine (GC maybe?) Ester molecules have polarity so they attract to the metal surface and form a layer to prevent a dry start. My T/A is not a daily driven car. Most of time it is in the garage. I guess I want every bit of engine protection.

quote:

Originally posted by Labatt Bear:
427Z06, SSDude,
I sent you a PM.

I got this oil from a local independent MOTUL dealer. He sells 300V racing oils to local SCCA racers. Click 'Product Data Sheet' in the first message. It will direct you to his website.

Gee,I'm glad BITOG can help turbofrog sell oil.
rolleyes.gif

I have to ask, and I apologise for being
offtopic.gif
, but do all motor oils in North America only come in 1 quart bottles ? Don't you have 5 litre / 5.3 quart bottles ?

I guess with the cheap price of oil over there, it doesn't matter too much, but I wouldn't like to buy all my oil in 1 litre / quart bottles down here - 1 litre bottles of Mobil 1 (any viscosity) is A$20 at my local Mobil service station !

[ June 03, 2004, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: Losiho ]

We do have 5qt jugs. Very convinient for those who have a 5qt sump (most vehicles) You can step it up a notch and go to Costco or Sam's Club (retail warehouses) where you can buy bulk oil by the drum (50 gallons)
wink.gif

Hey I use Kendall 5-40 full Syn and after beating the crap out of the car(road Race) it came out Great. 01 LS1. Might be something to try in the future. John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back