is mobil 1 5w30 that bad for lt1/ls1 motors

Status
Not open for further replies.
CATERHAM, I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying "0w-20 + 4718M = ok for a 5w-30 spec'd Vette"....?

I know that 4718M is the "Corvette Spec", but does that mean any (i.e., a lighter viscosity) 4718M approved oil is ok?

I'm sure it probably could be safely done for nerdy Vette drivers who drive conservatively like I do, but is there a reason why one would *want* to use 0W-20 in their Vette over a 5w- or 0w-30?

(Thanks in advance, I enjoy your posts)

CATERHAM is correct. Mobil, for reasons unknown to me, had their 0w20is approved against GM 4718M. It's on GM's approval list.

Originally Posted By: quint
CATERHAM, I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying "0w-20 + 4718M = ok for a 5w-30 spec'd Vette"....?
I know that 4718M is the "Corvette Spec", but does that mean any (i.e., a lighter viscosity) 4718M approved oil is ok?
I'm sure it probably could be safely done for nerdy Vette drivers who drive conservatively like I do, but is there a reason why one would *want* to use 0W-20 in their Vette over a 5w- or 0w-30?

As Buster mentioned, I don't know why Mobil submitted their 0W-20 for the 4718M test; perhaps to make a point. I do know that no 30wt dino has passed the high temperature 4718M test.

Since you drive conservatively, I have no doubt that you could run M1 0W-20 without issue. I believe your '96 LT1 Vette has an oil pressure gauge. As long as your OP at high rev's stays above 50 psi, the oil you're running is not too light.

If your complaint is their 5W-30 too thin use their 15W-50. It has a lot of TBN and ZDDP. It I were going to beat a vehicle sensless that oil would be my choice. I am going to use it for my '67 GTO's next oil change.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Do some of you realize how small these particle are? You cant see them, shoot 20 parts per MILLION is so insignificant I dont understand why people split hairs.

Yes, but wouldn't you rather have an oil that results in 10 parts per million wear instead of 20 ?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

As Buster mentioned, I don't know why Mobil submitted their 0W-20 for the 4718M test; perhaps to make a point. I do know that no 30wt dino has passed the high temperature 4718M test.

Since you drive conservatively, I have no doubt that you could run M1 0W-20 without issue. I believe your '96 LT1 Vette has an oil pressure gauge. As long as your OP at high rev's stays above 50 psi, the oil you're running is not too light.

Agree. I think you could use a 0w20 in the Corvette without problems. They may have done it to make a point, as you said.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Do some of you realize how small these particle are? You cant see them, shoot 20 parts per MILLION is so insignificant I dont understand why people split hairs.

Yes, but wouldn't you rather have an oil that results in 10 parts per million wear instead of 20 ?

Not if those parts per million are larger
wink.gif

Or, not if the oil with the lower ppm of Fe is leaving pesky deposits behind which cause exponential increases in engine wear.

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Agree. I think you could use a 0w20 in the Corvette without problems. They may have done it to make a point, as you said.

That would be a nice 'qualifying oil' for the road race teams!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back