Straight pipe

My 6.2L V8 L9H has been the hardest engine in the world to "keep quiet" - it has two mufflers, and two resonators, long tube headers, but still drones on the highway, it is known in the exhaust industry for being hard to keep quiet.

Along the way I have learned it is more about reducing the higher frequency sounds, which can normally be done with careful design or the resonators I suggested.

One thing I have always wanted to try with my truck is a 1/4 wave resonator pipe (side branch) to see if I can eliminate the drone on my truck.
I wonder if an H-pipe would make any difference on your 6.2, assuming it has true dual exhaust. Or an X-pipe, but they seem to add a higher pitch to the sound.

Maybe it's an apples-to-oranges comparison, but I blew up the muffler trying to start my 1970 Grand Prix one cold morning, and had duals with long glasspacks installed on the stock manifolds. My ears were ringing after 30 minutes on the highway, so we put in an H-pipe. That smoothed the tone right out, even with headers later on.

It sounds like the OP has single exhaust, but until now I've never thought about how an H-pipe would affect a V-6 with duals.

I wonder if an H-pipe would make any difference on your 6.2, assuming it has true dual exhaust. Or an X-pipe, but they seem to add a higher pitch to the sound.

Maybe it's an apples-to-oranges comparison, but I blew up the muffler trying to start my 1970 Grand Prix one cold morning, and had duals with long glasspacks installed on the stock manifolds. My ears were ringing after 30 minutes on the highway, so we put in an H-pipe. That smoothed the tone right out, even with headers later on.

It sounds like the OP has single exhaust, but until now I've never thought about how an H-pipe would affect a V-6 with duals.

Thanks for the thought...it has an X-pipe
The large displacement small block LS engines are just impossible to keep quiet

Long tube headers -> Xpipe -> 2 Aero Turbine mufflers -> 2 huge resonators -> pipes all the way to the back of the truck

Still loud under cruise conditions.

Yes it will sound like ass and you may have difficulty having conversations inside the car while driving. But no, just removing the mufflers will not hurt anything except your relationship with the neighbors.

Reactions: 4WD
Yes it will sound like ass and you may have difficulty having conversations inside the car while driving. But no, just removing the mufflers will not hurt anything except your relationship with the neighbors.
I disagree. I like the sound.

There were a group of people drag racing the last version of the V6 mustang here at PBIR. I loved the sound, and the good ones ran in the 12's.

Loud exhaust is just plain beyond annoying anymore, except for the person shouting, listen to me!!!

There were a group of people drag racing the last version of the V6 mustang here at PBIR. I loved the sound, and the good ones ran in the 12's.

The 3.7L is a significantly more powerful engine than the old 3.8L, so I would expect it to sound better.

Here's a vid of what the OP is proposing, it sounds like a tractor at idle:

Here's one with duals:

This is what I remember my buddy's sounding like with the long-tubes on it (pretty decent, not like a tractor):

This one on the other hand, has that really tractor/warble sound I mentioned earlier:

The super loud vehicles here in my area, which right now are mostly trucks, with a growing number of full-size suvs like tahoes and expi’s, are becoming so loud, that it gives the rest of the modestly loud cars a bad wrap. I’m sick of hearing them. There probably aren’t that many, but if one out of every hundred cars has a loud exhaust, I have one per minute driving nearby until 9pm at night, with 2 nearby major roads.

To me loud is just loud. A sleepers a keeper. I mean, I actually like a nice awesome exhaust, something tuned right, but theres so many of them blaring into my yard from half a mile away it’s just, to me, gotten old.

It should not affect the check engine light. As long as it isn’t too noticeable you should be fine. In my area you’ll get a faulty equipment ticket if they catch you without a muffler.

I wouldn’t do it. It’ll sound like an angry bee. Or it’ll make it sound “worn out” like it has something wrong with it. To make a V6 sound good,you have to get a V6 specific performance exhaust system.

My 3000GT had an excellent stock performance exhaust that gave it a good rumble sound,but it was also really quiet.

I like glasspacks, i just think it would sound better with a longer one. The short ones sound raspy, farty.

I have typically used glass packs on my vehicle since the late 60’s. Overall I find they sound best with little or no tail pipe after. Sometimes results vary. After listening to everything on YouTube, I found nothing I liked on a 300 Pentastar.
I replaced the the resonators, which are enormous, with 9” steel packed Total Flow Race mufflers. It was a crapshoot that paid off!
It’s loud but the installer and my daughters boyfrIend say it sounds like a Ferrari.

Back