Straight pipe

Ok, I have read the thread on this, but am looking for more specific info about my car. I have recently (well a year ago, but have barely driven it). aquired a 1998 Ford Mustang with the 3.8 v/6 engine and automatic trans. It is totally stock and has just turned over to 79000 miles. It seems to have been very well taken care of as the under side of the car, is almost as clean and rust free as my 2017 Nissan Frontier that has only 25000 miles. ( and it is good). Anyway I like for my old cars that are not my daily driver to have a little noise from the exhaust. I am thinking that I would like to remove the muffler. I will of course leave the cats. I have heard videos of that and it certainly isn't too loud. And it is something I could do myself. Also I have had many cars with 6 cylinder engines over the years with straight exhaust before cats became standard and liked the sound. BUT now I am concerned because I read that it will reduce my low end torque. Of course, I am not going to really race it ar anything, so if it it is just a little that wouldn't be noticed in normal driving, no problem. Also, would it cause it to turn on any check engine lights or anything like that. OR cause any other problems. I don't know how all this computer controlled stuff works . I know all about the OLD cars, but the "newer" stuff is all greek to me. I really want some sound, but don't want to mess things up.

It's going to sound like total ass as most lo-po V6's and 4-poppers do with no muffler. It should run fine and won't trigger a CEL. I'd discourage one from trying to get performance sound from a non-performance variant of a vehicle. The 4.6L may be slower than the 2nd coming in that era of Mustang, but it did sound decent with a cat-back.

It's going to sound like total ass as most lo-po V6's and 4-poppers do with no muffler. It should run fine and won't trigger a CEL. I'd discourage one from trying to get performance sound from a non-performance variant of a vehicle. The 4.6L may be slower than the 2nd coming in that era of Mustang, but it did sound decent with a cat-back.
Ok, as I said, I have heard videos of the same engine without muffler, and I am fine with the sound, mainly because I just want SOME sound as opposed to whispering. I may put on a short glass pack. My 65 200 c.i. has a long glass pack and I wish I would have gone short on no muffler. It is still too quiet.

If you want to mess with it, I'd put a catback on there and call it done. A guy I went to school had one of these new (98 3.8L convertible), he did a cheapo flowmaster catback that sounded decent.

Cutting the mufflers off will sound bad.

If you want to mess with it, I'd put a catback on there and call it done. A guy I went to school had one of these new (98 3.8L convertible), he did a cheapo flowmaster catback that sounded decent.

Cutting the muffler off will sound bad.
So is a cutback just a fake dual setup?

A V6 without a muffler, or even a cat back, sound like a frog farting underwater. Every 6 cyl I've ever owned did, including ones you would think wouldn't sound bad like the 225 dauntless V6 and the 4.3 GM (I was stupid enough to try that one twice). The 2.7 Ecoboob I had in my last F150 was especially embarrassing.

A V6 without a muffler, or even a cat back, sound like a frog farting underwater. Every 6 cyl I've ever owned did, including ones you would think wouldn't sound bad like the 225 dauntless V6 and the 4.3 GM (I was stupid enough to try that one twice). The 2.7 Ecoboob I had in my last F150 was especially embarrassing.
OK, I understand that some don't like the sound of a 6 without muffler. Personally I think sound is like colors, it is a personal thing. I totally know that it will never sound anywhere NEAR as nice a a v/8. But as I said, I just want SOME sound. I mean, some people think the ricers with the s**t can mufflers sound good. Not me but some people. I just wanted to know if it was going to cause any problems with the car mechanically, not if or not I would like the sound.

Remove it and try it out. It’s not going to hurt anything or cost you any torque. Just don’t try to race anyone.

I would try to find another muffler that would give you the sound you want. No muffler on that 3.8 will sound awful and wouldn't be surprised if you are ticketed.
As I said I may put on a short glass pack. Short is all that would fit to replace the muffler.

It can sound good - contrary to the posts so far. The idea is to replace the chambered muffler (stock) with a resonator style muffler. You will keep the deeper tone, but still keep the "rasp" down that is so annoying with V6's.

There is no concern of losing torque by doing this. If you keep your stock exhaust manifolds and cats, then for the most part there is little change in the performance of the exhaust system, even if you remove the muffler completely. You may gain a tiny increase in HP though...but not anything you would be able to notice.

So you take out the muffler and put in a straight pipe and see what's it's like. Not much invested. If it's too loud or sounds like farting frogs then you have a space to put something back. There has to be a Mustang forum where you can talk to guys who have done this on this car rather than opinions of guys who haven't.

Remove it and try it out. It’s not going to hurt anything or cost you any torque. Just don’t try to race anyone.
Just out of curiosity, if it isn't going to cost me low end torque, why shouldn't I try to race anyone. Other than of course it is a low power engine.

So you take out the muffler and put in a straight pipe and see what's it's like. Not much invested. If it's too loud or sounds like farting frogs then you have a space to put something back. There has to be a Mustang forum where you can talk to guys who have done this on this car rather than opinions of guys who haven't.
There is, and I have, and many say I will lose lots of low end torque, and mess up the "tune" of the engine. I also don't think that they (in general) know any more than the people on this forum.

Back