STP S8765 Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up 2 STP oil filters for the GM 3.6L. This is the open element style, not the can. I've used them before and knowing they were made by Champion Labs in USA I felt it was a decent filter. I get home and notice that the 2 filters I got were each different..same number and box look but different. Seems Autozone changed from USA made Champion labs to a Chinese made Best Products version. Comparing the 2, the box on the USA made one is 99% efficiency and 93% on the Chinese. But I have to say the Chinese made filter looks BETTER, nice tighter pleats and COMES with the new O-ring! The Champ labs version did not include an O-ring.

So, I am happy and, besides the slightly lower efficiency rating, the new Chinese filter looks better and the O-ring is a welcome addition to the box.

Sorry no pictures - if you really want some, I will need help doing that lol

Last edited:
You said, "The Champ labs version did not include an O-ring."

So what is someone supposed to do, pick off the old, possibly hardened O ring, and reuse it?

My car uses an element and O ring and every filter I've ever used has an O ring included.

No O ring is an unacceptable feature.

Like to see some pics of the cartridges, but understand the technical difficulties. In some parts of the country (west) AZ has changed suppliers from Champ/(fram) for the standard/base STPs (now M&H Puro) spin ons at least.

The STP XL is made in Korea by Daewha, say manufactured for and distributed by Best Products, Memphis TN. So just speculating, perhaps the STP Best Products cartridges are now made by Daewha too.

If you buy an AC Delco PF457 cartridge filter for a GM vehicle, it does not come with an O ring. A dealer told me that
the original BLUE O ring is lifetime, unless it is somehow damaged. In which case you can buy another for about $3.50! My Ecotec is coming up on its third oil/filter change, still with the BLUE O ring. No leaks so far, so I will continue to use it.

Originally Posted By: Kira
You said, "The Champ labs version did not include an O-ring."

So what is someone supposed to do, pick off the old, possibly hardened O ring, and reuse it?

My car uses an element and O ring and every filter I've ever used has an O ring included.

No O ring is an unacceptable feature.

That is correct, the old style never had the o-ring included. AC Delco, as tc1446 said, also has no o-ring included. I've noticed FRAM and Wix also include and o-ring. Granted, I know people who have NEVER changed the o-ring and it's fine but I prefer to change it. GM actually does not require every oil filter change to replace the o-ring and the factory blue color o-ring is very durable and better than the replacement ones included with filters. I know people pushing 100k miles on their 3.6L's and ecotec Colbalts who never replaced that OEM o-ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back