STP S16 cut open - 3,000 miles

STP S16 filter from a 1992 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L my friend recently bought. The Jeep has 52,000 miles, and according to the service records from the previous owner, this filter was on for about 3,000 miles with "10w30" not sure which brand, and about a year. The media looked good, but the nitrile ADBV was hard as a rock, and the engine had a nice rattle on start-up. It was replaced with a Fram TG16, and Fram 10w30 high mileage oil which cured the rattle.

IMG_0302.jpg
IMG_0303.jpg
IMG_0304.jpg
IMG_0305.jpg
IMG_0306.jpg
IMG_0307.jpg

STP S16 filter from a 1992 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L my friend recently bought. The Jeep has 52,000 miles, and according to the service records from the previous owner, this filter was on for about 3,000 miles with "10w30" not sure which brand, and about a year. The media looked good, but the nitrile ADBV was hard as a rock, and the engine had a nice rattle on start-up. It was replaced with a Fram TG16, and Fram 10w30 high mileage oil which cured the rattle.

View attachment 210895View attachment 210896View attachment 210897View attachment 210898View attachment 210899View attachment 210900

Nice cut and post. I Thank You

Element looks good, basic value/jobber filter. When I look at topic application at AZ online, shows Champ Labs made filter. Locally the XL are Champ Labs (not PG), and basic blue, like topic have been made in China.

Thanks for c&p.

Thanks for the cp...
Looks decent besides the adbv issue.
Yep definitely pleased with the media and overall feel of the filter, the ADBV was the only issue, it was very stiff. This is a problem on this engine because on the '87-'92 Jeep 4.0L engines the filter faces down. When I pulled the filter it had almost no oil in it, so I doubt the ADBV was even doing anything at this point.

Here is an example of the oil filter adapter on the earlier engines:

9bd0786b9b404f3330c3d4941830e25c.jpg

Element looks good, basic value/jobber filter. When I look at topic application at AZ online, shows Champ Labs made filter. Locally the XL are Champ Labs (not PG), and basic blue, like topic have been made in China.

Thanks for c&p.
Every one I've seen is a champ jobber ecore with a silicone adbv.

Every one I've seen is a champ jobber ecore with a silicone adbv.
If it has a silicone adbv, sounds like the STP XL series sold at AZs locally here. Those look to be equivalent to the Super Tech MP series. The Champ jobber would be similar to the basic Super Tech white with nitrile adbv. I can't recall basic blue STP with silicone adbv.

Depending or region, AZ clearly uses different manufacturers for STP oil filters. I usually check some apps STP basic blue and STP XL oil filters when I go in to recycle oil.

Back