STP Oil Filter - Cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.

e40

Here is an STP oil filter, cut open after a 5000 mile run of Quaker State Horsepower on a 2003 Toyota Sienna. I don't usually run this filter, I got it as part of an Autozone oil change package.

stp1.jpg

stp2.jpg

stp3.jpg

Are those cardboard end-caps? Didn't know Fram made STP filters....

Held together pretty well, though.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Are those cardboard end-caps? Didn't know Fram made STP filters....

Held together pretty well, though.

It's a Champ Labs filter.

Come on! Nippon Denso doesnt use ANY endcaps! Nothing wrong with paperboard endcaps for normal interval OCIS. The Filter media is "paper" - should that be ST-Steel mesh too?

As a guy how does FMEA on high technology mil and automotive components - these cut open filters show me NOTHING! 1) Wash the filter down and look for glue separation. 2)Cut the thing open with a tool that DOESNT add particulate to the filter and perform a particle mass and count. 30 Check pliability of ADBV.

Last edited:
I saw a filter cut open here one time that had a rubber band holding the media together. Can`t remember what kind it was but there`s no way I`d want an oil filter held together by a rubber band protecting my engine`s oil.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
What was oil b4 the qhp - YB? Looks like cleanup sludge.

All 5w30 full synthetic for the past 11 5000 mile OCI's:

QHP (Latest)
QHP
Valvoline Full Syn
SuperTech
SuperTech
QHP
M1
M1
(Can't remember any further than this, mostly M1, but there might have been a QHP in there somewhere..)

Dealer dino every 5k from new to 72k when I bought it...

Looks normal. BTW, thats not cardboard for the endcaps. It's a stiff felt like material. Actually does some fine filtering of its own. No problem running STP, ST, or any of the Champ clones. Even many of the AC Delcos are now Champ Lab.

Thanks for the pics. I would use it if I got it part of an oil change package. But I would not buy it, there are better filters out there.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I saw a filter cut open here one time that had a rubber band holding the media together. Can`t remember what kind it was but there`s no way I`d want an oil filter held together by a rubber band protecting my engine`s oil.

The rubber band or string only serves a purpose during assembly.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

All depends what the rubber band was/is made of. The valve is also made of somekind of rubber like material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back