autozone cut open filters..

Status
Not open for further replies.
just got back from browsing around autozone.. and to my suprise they had 3 cut open oil filters in front of the oil filter section. they showed valucraft, stp, and bosch. valucraft and stp both had e-cores and were labeled good, and better if i remember correctly.. then the bosch as best with a fram style center tube. funny.. they didnt have a cut open fram on display. anyone else see this at autozone? same filters cut open or different?

I don't remember where as it has been a few years ago, but I saw something similar which did have a FRAM oil filter cut open. I couldn't believe how cheaply it was made. I can still remember those paper ends on it whereas the other oil filters had nice metal ends on them.

yup, numerous members on this board have cut open a number of oil filters in the past.. and frams always appear to have very cheap materials. im just suprised that a national retailer is starting to do this

quote:

Originally posted by Buford T. Justice:
I don't remember where as it has been a few years ago, but I saw something similar which did have a FRAM oil filter cut open. I couldn't believe how cheaply it was made. I can still remember those paper ends on it whereas the other oil filters had nice metal ends on them.

You may have seen that at NAPA. I saw their display recently that compared their NAPA Gold Oil Filter (made by Wix) to a Fram. It was like night and day. Fram sux!

Like it or not, for most auto parts retailers, Frams bring the traffic through the store. You could have a cutaway showing Frams made of dog poop and most would still buy them. Fram would have Autozone's butt if they had a cutaway of a Fram on display.

Hootbro

15 years ago I thought Motorcraft were junk and Fram were high quality
pat.gif

Pepboys had this display of oil filters cut open that showed the insides of a Fram, Purolator Premium Plus and a PureOne

Looking inside any ff oil filter makes you wonder, that fuzzy stuff is the only thing between my engine and crud.

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
15 years ago I thought Motorcraft were junk and Fram were high quality
pat.gif

Pepboys had this display of oil filters cut open that showed the insides of a Fram, Purolator Premium Plus and a PureOne

Meijer had this display too, when they carried Purolator filters....

Around 1970 give or take a few years, Purolator used to sell a kit for taking filters apart for comparison. I've always kind of wished I would have bought one back then. Back then I remember seeing a lot of oil filters cut open for comparison. Purolator wasn't afraid of showing the insides of their product even then.

Yeah saw that display recently at my local Zoo (oh sorry AutoZone) and they had all kinds of filters.

valucraft, stp, and bosch, K&N, Mobil1, fram, AC Deleco, motorcraft and I am might be missing one.

Lots of the Champ labs new plastic and felt homogination filter. Mobil1, K&N, and Motorcraft were the metal capped ones and who could forget the lowly FRAM Oil paper ends.

NO MORE FRAM. Heck even afraid of their air filters and fuel filters etc..

quote:

Now if we just had some good data on media quality.

What? You can't tell by just looking looking at it?

I'm pretty sure there's a couple on this board with the media quality add-on to their eyeballtestometers......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back