STP (AutoZone) filter failure almost blew up a customers Jeep yesterday.

I notice STP filters heavily promoted in a package deal with 5 qts of Mobile 1 syn. at Autozone. Similar deals at Advance Auto and other major chain parts retailers. Having installed many of the cartridge type on my German vehicles, would be hard NOT to recognize a poor quality/deteriorated or compromised gasket as they require some manipulation to place in the correct position beyond the threads. Difference story for the cannister type filters I use on my Triumph motorcycle, (Mobil 1 108A) taking care to be sure old gasket is removed and new gasket is well lubricated when installing.

Possibly. I know that I can hardly tear the o-ring apart on the Hengst filters I install on my BMW so to have one disintegrate on installation seems to be very unusual.
I did not install it incorrectly, honestly I have no idea what caused the failure. It's very possible the gasket was brittle already and I just didn't notice, after all the gasket came apart in pieces (as in broke off) when I pulled it off the filter cap. Those particular filters don't require much stretching to slip the new gasket on unlike a Toyota or VW/Audi filter where a bad gasket wouldn't survive install. We get some seriously dusty/old parts sometimes so maybe it was an old filter someone found in the stock room that had been hiding awhile.

Old brittle gasket.... jobber filter? meaning shop online white box stuff that consumers can't get off the shelf?

Obviously, issues like this should be pictured with any/all codes/dates of the box and cartridge for reference.

Scary stuff... to eat an engine because of a defective gasket. Still your fault... I would never use the discount 'part store' white box shop-only filters... always step up!!!! Perfect choices for a Wrangler.... Fram Toughgard, STP XL, Bosch, Purolator ONE, ChampionXL, EcogardSynth, FVP XL, OE...

Always price the upgrade for the consumer. And be proud to tell them about the quality parts/fluids/filters used.

I've installed thousands of the Jeep canisters.
The only time they don't seal properly is when the o-ring/gasket is not installed properly.
A torn gasket is something I've never encountered. We immediately check for leaks at startup using a
flashlight. A filter that leaks usually leaks right away. Multi tasking can be problematic as one is focusing
on the task ahead and not the task at hand.

It seizes to amaze me. Since my car runs great on the current fill of oil, I don't trust changing it ever gain... C'mon guys. The filter box comes with the o-rings, so use them.

Back