Storing motor oil, how long should it last?

Sorry for the redundant thread but if buying oil and wanting to use it within say 6 months or so, how long should it really last? Id guess upon using it, I should give it a good shake or is that even really needed?

We're at the point where we need to buy oil when we see it, not when we need it... Sad.

I'm running some Maxlife from when the "Cars" movie came out in 2006.

The API (etc) certifications eventually get superseded. If your oil is as old as your car but not much older, you're probably good.

A stash of at least a couple of OCIs worth of oil, bought on sale, has always made sense to me.

How long should they last? However long until the cheapest jugs hit 30 dollars cause I'll probably kickdoor you and jack them. lol

They should last at least 5yrs in storage without concern so 6 months is nothing. I pour most of the jug into the sump first then leave 1-2 quarts left to shake it up very hard even if it foams a bit to get any additives that may have settled before pouring the rest. Shaking a full jug is silly. I do that even to new oil just to be sure.

How long should they last? However long until the cheapest jugs hit 30 dollars cause I'll probably kickdoor you and jack them. lol

They should last at least 5yrs in storage without concern so 6 months is nothing. I pour most of the jug into the sump first then leave 1-2 quarts left to shake it up very hard even if it foams a bit to get any additives that may have settled before pouring the rest. Shaking a full jug is silly. I do that even to new oil just to be sure.
Can they store in a garage that gets cold

Can they store in a garage that gets cold
It will be fine. shelved oil isn't effected by the ambient temp. Only if the ambient temp is enough to freeze it to where you cant pour it but doesn't get that cold up there. But if you want and the missy doesn't get prissy put them inside. Or better yet put them under the bed saying the high saps keeps the environmental boogeymen away to screw and get a rise out of her once she finds the under bed hoard. I once put the oil in the fridge to get a rise.

Here’s a thread about a thread about shelf life:

In case anyone else is interested, here is a good thread with several manufacturers claims on shelf life

Sorry for the redundant thread but if buying oil and wanting to use it within say 6 months or so, how long should it really last? Id guess upon using it, I should give it a good shake or is that even really needed?

We're at the point where we need to buy oil when we see it, not when we need it... Sad.
That's your view and you are entitled to it. There has been far too many cases on here here where even "free" oil that turns out unneeded has been an issue to dispose of when the vehicle it is intended for is either sold, scrapped, wrecked or otherwise disposed of.

You fit right in on here. Personally I don't drink that flavor of Kool-Aid.

That's your view and you are entitled to it. There has been far too many cases on here here where even "free" oil that turns out unneeded has been an issue to dispose of when the vehicle it is intended for is either sold, scrapped, wrecked or otherwise disposed of.

You fit right in on here. Personally I don't drink that flavor of Kool-Aid.
I'm saying I'm in need of an oil change within the next 6 months. I don't mean hoard it when we see it.

Basically a year ago, we would say well I need an oil change tomorrow, let me get some today. Now we need to plan a head for that OCI

Honey found in Egyptian pyramids lasted several millennia;
1642287432426.jpg

Motor oil is just;
1642287788992.jpg

I recently used motor oil from probably the 1990s, certainly early 2000s. For oil this old, I'd pour it into a clear container first to ensure no separation and no contamination.

If sealed, I've never seen problems. For opened partial containers, probably 10% have had milky water contamination. So once you open it plan to use it promptly. Unopened, stored intelligently (indoors, no extremes, no moisture, etc.) I'd say definitely 10 years, probably 20, maybe 30.

The other factor is the containers. Some containers will spring leaks over long periods so it would be smart to store oil in tubs in case of leaks.

Score!

In my storage shed, I found a long-lost 12-qt box of Chevron Supreme that's SN-rated and is at least 5 years old. I have zero problems using ever last drop ... and soon!

My Gen III 5.3L loves this stuff.

There has been far too many cases on here here where even "free" oil that turns out unneeded has been an issue to dispose of when the vehicle it is intended for is either sold, scrapped, wrecked or otherwise disposed of.
There are online places for just those scenarios called Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. Maybe look into that. I had two jugs of Castrol bought for $30 I didn't need anymore after buying 55 jugs of the 10 cent Mobil 1. Sold them for $35 pretty quickly.

Back