Storage Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200 with 3300 miles from a woman who lives in Florida. She has had the bike in her heated garage in NH for the last 2 years and has not ridden it.

The bike is blocked in the garage (other toys) and I wont be picking up for a couple of months. My question is this, should I just take it home change the oil and filter and drain the fuel from the tank and carbs put fresh gas in and then fire it up. Or should I try to start it when I pick it up to make sure that I runs. The woman I bought it from told me that if there is a problem with it then she will refund my money.

I looked the bike over the best I could and it looks great. I needs a bath and it looks like it fell over at some point as the brake lever is bent a bit and there are some scratches on the exhaust and engine cover. Nothing major and no grind marks ( been there ).

Is there anything else I should do as far as the engine goes. It needs a battery and some air in the tires.

Thanks

I would take a fresh battery and start it (if it will start with 2 year old fuel) You might wish to take a 2 gallon can of fresh 91 octane gas, a portable fuel pump or siphon hose to empty tha tank as much as possible and empty container to drain the old fuel into. drain the tank and fill with new fuel.....disconnect the spark plug wires, install battery and cycle the engine on the starter a few times to pre-oil the motor. The recomnnect the plug wires and fire away. Do NOT rev the engine until it runs for at least 5 minutes just let it idle until warm. Some guys will take a can of starting aerosol fluid (ether) to spray in the carb if this is a carbed bike. But I hesitate to use that only as a last resort. Have fun.

Do you think that the fuel is all gumed up in the carbs and lines. It has been 2 years although it is a heated garage.

The heat won't make much difference. If the fuel was shut off with a petcock the carb will be dry and have some varnish but I think you can get it started just make sure you get a good battery. I have started cars that sat 10 years with no issues. I would be hesitant to buy it if it won't start.

Another question now would be rust in the tank. When I looked at it she did not have the key with her so I could not look inside the tank. The fuel gauge showed 1/2. Am I garanteed to see rust when I open the tank?

not necessarily but if you do see rust don't start the bike as the tank will have to be removed and cleaned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back