Storage of my oil stash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have enough oil stashed to last me about 3 years for 2 of my cars, and about 5 for the other 2. I used to keep it in the basement, but have just moved to a MUCH nicer house, and the wife would prefer I don't keep it there. I do have a cabinet in the garage where it could go, but I don't keep the garage at an even temperature. May get to below freezing at many times in the winter, and then be warmed up to the 50's to do some work, then it will reach 90's in the summer. Will this be a problem for the oil or should I insist that it go in the basement. Some of the stash is full syn, some semi, and some conventional.

Won't be a problem! Back in 2010 I used up a small stash of late 80s/early 90s Mobil1 that my father had sitting in the garage ... since the lat 80s/early 90s

Originally Posted By: old1
I have enough oil stashed to last me about 3 years for 2 of my cars, and about 5 for the other 2. I used to keep it in the basement, but have just moved to a MUCH nicer house, and the wife would prefer I don't keep it there. I do have a cabinet in the garage where it could go, but I don't keep the garage at an even temperature. May get to below freezing at many times in the winter, and then be warmed up to the 50's to do some work, then it will reach 90's in the summer. Will this be a problem for the oil or should I insist that it go in the basement. Some of the stash is full syn, some semi, and some conventional.

Stashing oil a [censored] shoot. Since you already bought it, I would keep a good eye on it. My .02.

I bought some M1 TDT jugs on clearance in the winter of 2013. 3 or 4 of them starting leaking on me. The messes they made is enough for me to buy oil for 1 OCI at a time. The only way I'd "stash" (buy and store 2+ jugs of oil) is if I serviced a few vehicles that could use the same oil.

I store all my vehicle fluids in the basement.
Their on a 'black' wire (5) shelves unit that has wheels. Bought at Lowes.
All the bottles are clean and it looks very neat / organized.

Most liquid items say to store in a Cool, Dark place.
The basement is ideal. Especially if you run a dehumidifier.

Your Wife needs to reconsider her opinion.
If stored correctly, you will be envied.

Wow, you people act like this is fine wine. it's been in the earth for millions of years but it turns into toxic sludge if not kept at exactly 74.5 degrees facing west. it protects your entire engine from 40 below to 150F, yet it can't survive sitting on a shelf in Minnesota.

Originally Posted By: old1

The basement would be ideal, if you are truly "worried" about it.. otherwise the garage will suffice...
As I like to tell my friends that try to give stuff such as this "feelings" ( it's too cold, I want to be "nice" to it...)

" It doesn't know " !!

It's meant to be in all the conditions you are describing !!

BurrWinder

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Wow, you people act like this is fine wine.

It is!!

Actually I keep most of mine in the garage in Minnesota. NEVER had a leak or ANY problem.

Thanks all. So to me it sounds like it is not a problem either way, and so to keep peace I will leave it in the garage and not sweat it. Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Wow, you people act like this is fine wine.

Well a good oil if treated like fine wine will retain it's goodness for many years, and could increase in value. Not only the oil, but it's packaging may be subject to deterioration if kept in adverse conditions. Better safe than sorry.

I posted to wrong thread...

-I keep my oil stash, about 12 Jugs, in a large black Pelican ice fishing sled that has high sides.

That way, if a jug lets go, I won't be cleaning up 5 Litres of oil (or more if 2 break).

I feel a lot better about it that way!!

I would personally store it in your house, but the garage would also be fine. I don't stash oil, completely pointless. I have 1 quart of MaxLife, 1 quart of Castrol Edge & half quart of Platinum all 5W-20 to use in case I need to top up. That's it. I always buy my oil & filter about a week before the change.

So strange, I dont understand it. I buy my oil/filters one week before I plan on changing at that's it. Is it just some compulsive over-analytical disorder to want to horde the oil? I find this odd.

Originally Posted By: Guitarmageddon
So strange, I dont understand it. I buy my oil/filters one week before I plan on changing at that's it. Is it just some compulsive over-analytical disorder to want to horde the oil? I find this odd.

I don't understand it either... if I had a bunch of oil & filters laying around then I'd want to change my oil way too often, I'd be wasting oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back