Stock Market - Pathetic Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y_K

The closing action that is still going on futures doesn't promise anything positive. Looks like January 3-4 will be busy days in DC with all the political theatre on .
Check your parachutes and keep your powder dry

Originally Posted by eljefino
Never tired of all this winning!

Did you tire of the winning from March 2009 - Sept 2018? That was 9.5 yrs of winning in the financial sector. Housing did ok too from 2011-2018. What didn't you win at up to the last 2 months?

Originally Posted by 69GTX

Did you tire of the winning from March 2009 - Sept 2018? That was 9.5 yrs of winning in the financial sector. Housing did ok too from 2011-2018. What didn't you win at up to the last 2 months?

Qualitative Easing has caused a bubble.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
Originally Posted by Eddie
Getting close to "Time to purchase" again.Ed

Correct thinking right here!

Yes! Big gains to be had over the next 5 to 10 years.

Worst week in 10 years. How much further will it drop? Dunno.
For those who can wait it out, they should be OK.
Others will suffer.

It will also affect those who depend on the generosity of others if the others need to cut back.

I've lost $50k on paper these last couple months. Discouraging but hopefully a big bounce in 2020 for the following 8 years @10% a year.

About 2 months ago read this

Looks like we are getting close to an initial support level. Anyway, out of 18 post-war mid-term elections 18 ended with markets higher a year after.
Democratic House and Republican Senate were especially good for the markets.

Got my eye on a few things at the present time.

Upping my pre tax contribution to superannuation, and will consider pulling some money out of the home loan to buy some already undervalued stocks that have followed the trend.

Dumping stuff now and realising losses isn't my nature.

Long term capital gains rate is capped at 20% this year, with about the first 40K being tax free. This huge, enormous, tax cut will show soon in tax revenues in 2019. Who knows what will happen.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

For those who can wait it out, they should be OK.

Sadly, that is not always the case. Certain "good" stocks never fully recover. Also, it's good to remember that when adjusted for inflation, some stocks are far behind what they seem to be.

The example of widely held GE stock is interesting. As GE is lower recently ($7) than it was during the 2009 crash! Sure it rose nicely after 2009. But it never again regained it's 2000 peak of near $60. Each subsequent peak was lower at $40, then $30, and now it's at $7.

GE's peak of $59 in 2000 is equal to $87 today.
GE's low of $8.50 in 2009 is equal to $10.15 today.

In 1997 GE's inflation adjusted value matches it's 2014 peak of $32.

This is a long way of saying, purchase low and sell high.

Originally Posted by sloinker
I've lost $50k on paper these last couple months. Discouraging but hopefully a big bounce in 2020 for the following 8 years @10% a year.

Probably not. A major washout will still be due if the market rebounds and goes to fresh highs in a final melt up. The fallout from that will be monstrous....on the same order (or worse) as the 1930's SM crash. We have 80-90 years of excesses to wash out. The overall US housing market is not slated to fully complete its bottoming cycle until around 2033. I think the 2020's will be mostly a rough haul.

The main markets were due for 40/80/120 yr cycle lows back around 2012-2014....which was entirely circumvented by govt QE. And then Trump's election extended it another 2 yrs. So as I see there's still the requirement to pay up. The last major 120 yr cycle low was 1894....the first great depression. Count 5 major waves off the 120+ yr rally. There will be a MAJOR retrace of that 120+ yr move. It's just the way TA and markets tend to work. Some good books on the "4th turning" which are major generational changes now occurring as Boomers check out and Millenials take over.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69GTX

The Fed left interest rates extremely low from 2008 until 2017 via QA (coincidence or helping somebody's economy look good)....now they are raising rates (and threatening more raises unnecessarily)...possibly to make somebody's economy look bad.....

I've been telling people I know to transfer 401k money into a money market account but they never did. I guess greed got in the way and now there paying the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back