Stihl vs Echo???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jeff8407
I have a Stihl Farm Boss saw, a Stihl string edger, and a Stihl leaf blower. After 15 years, this is the 16th season, every one of them still works perfectly and none of them have ever failed to start! Yes, they have always been difficult to start, meaning at least 7-8 pulls with the correct choke, many more without the correct setting; but 15+ years of without a problem is incredible. I can't same the same thing about my Honda Harmony mower--the pull cord broke once!

I believe 15 years ago Stihl was the leader in small engine. There was no Stihl dealer here until recently. It's important to have a dealership when dealing with high end commercial products with small engines of these type.

Shindaiwa had a dealership for many years here. For Stihl to have been a leader, they had to be first rate. Personally I just believe overall Shindaiwa today is a step ahead.

The Displacement Myth

Some manufacturers would have you believe that the only way to a powerful engine is large displacement. But at Shindaiwa, we know that compression, port size and shape, carburetion, and a host of other factors come into play as well. That's why our machines deliver more horsepower per unit of displacement than our competitors'. To get equivalent power from them, you have to buy a unit with a bigger, heavier engine that consumes more fuel, generates more emissions, and is, often, more costly.

We dare you to compare Shindaiwa's impressive standard features and reliability against models of equivalent horsepower. We know you'll appreciate how much lighter, easier, and more efficient is a Shindaiwa.

It's under the Shindaiwa company info.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay

Well, its nice to say all that, but in chainsaws atleast, shindaiwa is no where when it comes to pro models. The Stihl 361, 441, and Husky 346, kill the equivalent shindaiwa models in power to weight. Even my 10 year old design husky 372 still has a better power to weight ratio. I read that the few guys that do use them find they are good saws, but heavier and some what slower. 1 or 2 lbs is big difference after a few hours of cutting...

Originally Posted By: jeff8407
I have a Stihl Farm Boss saw, a Stihl string edger, and a Stihl leaf blower. After 15 years, this is the 16th season, every one of them still works perfectly and none of them have ever failed to start! Yes, they have always been difficult to start, meaning at least 7-8 pulls with the correct choke, many more without the correct setting; but 15+ years of without a problem is incredible. I can't same the same thing about my Honda Harmony mower--the pull cord broke once!

I believe 15 years ago Stihl was the leader in small engine. There was no Stihl dealer here until recently. It's important to have a dealership when dealing with high end commercial products with small engines of these type.

Shindaiwa had a dealership for many years here. For Stihl to have been a leader, they had to be first rate. Personally I just believe overall Shindaiwa today is a step ahead.

The Displacement Myth

Some manufacturers would have you believe that the only way to a powerful engine is large displacement. But at Shindaiwa, we know that compression, port size and shape, carburetion, and a host of other factors come into play as well. That's why our machines deliver more horsepower per unit of displacement than our competitors'. To get equivalent power from them, you have to buy a unit with a bigger, heavier engine that consumes more fuel, generates more emissions, and is, often, more costly.

We dare you to compare Shindaiwa's impressive standard features and reliability against models of equivalent horsepower. We know you'll appreciate how much lighter, easier, and more efficient is a Shindaiwa.

I agree with you 100 percent. My stihl bg55 is over ten years old now and has been a jewell. We just bought a new one this year and it was a total lemon. The dealership made it even worse with their lack of service. We also bought a Ms 250 chain saw this year and it has been pretty good knock on wood. Its kinda hard to start but when you get her going it will cut like a champ.

I just dont think they are as good as they used to be or maybe the compeition has caught up. From here on out Shindiawa will get my money and Im a guy that likes to support American companies but not for the aggravation of hard starting two strokes.

Originally Posted By: nomochevys

and Im a guy that likes to support American companies but not for the aggravation of hard starting two strokes.

err, Stihl is a privately owned German company
wink.gif

(ok, some of the consumer saws you get in the US are assembled at Virginia Beach)

I've heard many Stihl owners having a hard time starting their chainsaw. Just wanted someone who had real world experience having this problem.

Shindaiwa I believe is a step ahead over Stihl.

My Stihl Chain Saw is a pain in the *ss to start, but cuts like a champ once it's started. A real pain though. My still leaf blower starts in 2-3 pulls.

Originally Posted By: tdi-rick
Originally Posted By: nomochevys

and Im a guy that likes to support American companies but not for the aggravation of hard starting two strokes.

err, Stihl is a privately owned German company
wink.gif

(ok, some of the consumer saws you get in the US are assembled at Virginia Beach)

I did not know that but thanks for the education. I thought Stihl was American. shows what I know. I really think they have slipped some. Our new Bg55 blower was a total pos. Had to fight with the dealer and they finally admitted it was not right and replaced the carb and then tried to charge me for it!!!!! I was furious because first off I have one 10 years old that is perfect and second it was only a couple of months old. Its still not as good as the older one but at least you can start it without 70 or 80 pulls which it used to take. Now its only 12 to 15 and the older one starts in 3 for the most part.

My shindiawa starts in one of two pulls every single time and I dont care how long it has sit. And, it runs like a house of fire.

Sometimes its the luck of the draw and I guess I could get a bad shindiawa but you seem to read of less problems with them.

The Stihl is a piece of junk,they break down a lot,very expensive to fix and the parts are expensive.My father has a Stihl,nothing but problems with it.It has carburator problems and his Husqvarna which is 25 years old outcuts it.Stihl is German made.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
I've heard many Stihl owners having a hard time starting their chainsaw. Just wanted someone who had real world experience having this problem.

My Stihl Chain Saw is a pain in the *ss to start, but cuts like a champ once it's started. A real pain though. My still leaf blower starts in 2-3 pulls.

The problem is, it doesn't "almost start" noticeably enough to know when to move the choke to 1/2 choke from full choke. If I used it enough, I'd probably know how many primer squirts, how many full choke pulls before half choke. Partially user error I'm sure.

On the other hand, my stihl leaf blower starts very quickly, and quicker than my echo line trimmer, which needs to warm up for a minute or so before it builds full power. The stihl leaf blower seems to go from nothing to flat-out, even after sitting all winter.

I'm going to go out tomorrow and see if I can't get that chain saw started inside 5 pulls. I always seem to flood it.

The problem is, it doesn't "almost start" noticeably enough to know when to move the choke to 1/2 choke from full choke. If I used it enough, I'd probably know how many primer squirts, how many full choke pulls before half choke. Partially user error I'm sure.

On the other hand, my stihl leaf blower starts very quickly, and quicker than my echo line trimmer, which needs to warm up for a minute or so before it builds full power. The stihl leaf blower seems to go from nothing to flat-out, even after sitting all winter.

I'm going to go out tomorrow and see if I can't get that chain saw started inside 5 pulls. I always seem to flood it.

Update:

Started the chainsaw in 4 pulls. Just have to detect a slight bit of resistance in the pull after full choke. Feel that resistance, switch to half choke, fires right up.

I was just doing it wrong. Nothing wrong with this Stihl.

Update:

Started the chainsaw in 4 pulls. Just have to detect a slight bit of resistance in the pull after full choke. Feel that resistance, switch to half choke, fires right up.

I was just doing it wrong. Nothing wrong with this Stihl.

A friend ask me to try starting his new Stihl chainsaw as he couldn't get it started. It took me about 3 hours to figure this out. I used an air compressor to blow the flooding out. I almost gave up I couldn't figure it out. Finally I had an instinct it had something to do with the choke. I took me about 6 pulls.

It's a solid chainsaw, good power per ratio. Had no experience with any Stihl product prior, first one in my hands.

The new Shindaiwa chainsaws has good power per ratio and it fires up quickly I feel comfortable with it. Also good balance.

Both good products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back