Stihl vs Echo???

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ "...and when that VTEC kicks in, the weeds really go flying - yo."

Just kidding. I'm sure it's a great machine. I'd actually love the little Honda tiller -- as posted in another thread.

get a stihl. Never heard anyone say anything bad about them--EVER---well except price, but if it is for a business, then you will appreciate the investment with easier servicing and less down time---there is a reason every commercial crew you see is using them. my dad still has a stihl chainsaw from about 20 years ago without any trouble.

I got an Echo SRM-210 gas powered string trimmer.

Love it.

The string quit coming out of one side, one time but it's great. Never even have to wind it up all the way to trim tough things.

tom slick: "What brands does your pro store carry?" For me - Echo and Stihl. Doesn't help the OP.

I was comparing Echo, Stihl and Honda about six years ago when I bought the house. I didn't really have awareness of brands like Redmax and Shindaiwa (sp?) at the time.

Double VANOS: the reason not to look at Honda is weight. They were obnoxiously heavy a couple of years back, I don't think they've made any huge strides in that department, but I could be wrong. That combined with the price took Honda out of the running for me.

When I compared Stihl and Echo in 2003, I found that Echo had recently-upgraded engine designs to meet 2005 emissions regs and Stihl was still selling relatively old designs which were far less fuel efficient and didn't meet 2005 regs. The dealer recommended "either" but I gravitated to Echo SRM-210 for lower weight, longer warranty and newer, cleaner engine design.

I have an ongoing complaint about the carb. It has an EPA carb (which perhaps the older Stihl may not have had) and never seems to run quite right. I could swear that the display model I saw had blatantly obvious red and blue needle adjustments (great! I thought). My new unit did not have that carb on it.

I used to consider it hard to start but I have the routine down now and since switching to Amsoil Saber from Echo PowerBlend it is noticeably improved. It takes 5-6 pulls, with different incantations of throttle and choke each pull but I always get it started. While running I generally find that it exhibits signs of being simultaneously too rich and too lean. I feel part of the "problem" is that my suburban property may not have enough trimming for a commercial-grade tool. It's just really getting going and we're all done. Once warmed up a couple of minutes it runs like gangbusters at full throttle but I simply don't need or want it wide open for all of my trimming (around the bottoms of fences and the like).

Last edited:
I went to the local equipment dealer where I bought my Scag and told him I wanted the lightest, easiest-starting string trimmer he had and I didn't want a bump-and-feed head. I came home with a Kawasaki KTF27A and an Echo Rapid-Loader head and I haven't had buyer's remorse for even a second. It starts so easily, and I just cut 7-inch pieces of line to stick in the Rapid-Loader head when a string breaks. However, more to the point, Stihl and Echo make quality products but stay away from the lower end of the line.

Originally Posted By: baddad
Echo is the only manufacturer with a 5 year warranty for homeowner use on all it's models including the base models that HD sells(1 year commercial use)! All are rated at 300 hours of use and still can meet EPA guidelines. Engines are rated either 50, 100 or 300 hr use. All brands of two stroke engines are tagged with this rating system. Guess where weedeater would fall. Stihl & husky have some good stuff available, but they (among others) offer homeowner, farmer/rancher, & pro quality goods. Don't buy just the name, do a little reading , ask questions, & find a dealer you can depend on.
And yes, I'm an echo dealer------------ Bob

Just bought a new Echo hedge trimmer, 24" 165 model and all I can say is wow. The finest piece of yard maintenance equipment I have ever owned!! Sold on Echo.

+1 for Echo

Commercial stores used to sell a ton of them until HD took them on.

My Eho waadwacker is about 13 years old and running great as is my Echo Blower which is even older.

Secret...Amsoil Sabre' Professional at 50:1

Originally Posted By: baddad
Echo is the only manufacturer with a 5 year warranty for homeowner use on all it's models including the base models that HD sells(1 year commercial use)! All are rated at 300 hours of use and still can meet EPA guidelines. Engines are rated either 50, 100 or 300 hr use. All brands of two stroke engines are tagged with this rating system. Guess where weedeater would fall. Stihl & husky have some good stuff available, but they (among others) offer homeowner, farmer/rancher, & pro quality goods. Don't buy just the name, do a little reading , ask questions, & find a dealer you can depend on.
And yes, I'm an echo dealer------------ Bob

It' possible because of the merger with Shindaiwa. It's Shindaiwa technology that is instilled in Echo. Echo is NOT the same company years ago for home usage.

Most all of the Stihls that I own have gone through at least one coil. Some coils, like the one on the MS250 chainsaw, approach $100. Genuine Stihl replacement parts are not readily available on the internet from Stihl authorized dealers.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Johnny is right, an FS 90 would be plenty for what you want to do. One thing about these "new" 4 mix technology units Stihl puts out is that you really should be running the white bottle full syn Stihl oil. The other oils were leaving carbon/calcium deposits on the exhaust valve, whereas the full syn oil does not.

Just bought some of this full synthetic Stihl stuff in the white bottle. Definitely smells different than the regular stihl two stroke oil. Without wanting to use a "weasel word" here, it smells waxy. I can definitely tell I am using a different oil though. Can smell it right away. Good to know this stuff lessens the deposits. Am using it in my Stihl chainsaw and leaf-blower as well as my Echo line trimmer. I'm even blending mixed gas at a rate of 1/3 with 2/3 regular gas into the pit-bike I race on wednesdays. The guys that follow me say they can definitely smell it too.

Stihl strength is their chainsaw. Shindaiwa is closing the gap, in fact I believe Shindaiwa sells more chainsaw than Stihl on a professional level. Shindaiwa is the leader on small engines worldwide. Echo is a name brand for North American application but were never on that high end on the professional level. The merger makes sense Echo is a Shindaiwa with a different name tag. Echo has name recognition. Put it this way Makita has good balance, quality and is very smooth. As is Shindaiwa. Shindaiwa is a notch ahead in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: flanso
Most all of the Stihls that I own have gone through at least one coil. Some coils, like the one on the MS250 chainsaw, approach $100. Genuine Stihl replacement parts are not readily available on the internet from Stihl authorized dealers.

I thought stihl had lifetime replacement for coils on their saws?
Anyways for Stihl Vs Echo IMHO
Pro level: Stihl is much better
Midrange: I call it a draw
Low end: Echo is a bit better

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: flanso

I thought stihl had lifetime replacement for coils on their saws?
Anyways for Stihl Vs Echo IMHO
Pro level: Stihl is much better
Midrange: I call it a draw
Low end: Echo is a bit better

My point, Echo is basically an upstart company with Shindaiwa tech...I have high regards for Stihl...nothing funny about it. Their chainsaws are first rate.

Here is my honest opinion after owning all of them. For weed wackers and blowers it Shindiawa all the way. I own stilh, echo and shindiawa and its not even close imo. For chain saws Im not sure. I have a stihl and cant compare. Its a hard pulling son of a gun but runs great.

Shindiawa is just top notch from my experience and is hard to beat. Its expensive but maybe for a reason. In just my opinion I would rate them as Shindiawa 1, Echo 2 and Stihl 3. I know there are a lot of stihl fans out there but that is my experience. We recently had a dud stilh blower that was a fiasco. They dealer sucked and that made it worse. None of them are bad and it beats the heck out of what you would get at lowes.

I think that says it all. Stay away from the box stores but Shindiaw gets my money everytime from now on.

I've heard many Stihl owners having a hard time starting their chainsaw. Just wanted someone who had real world experience having this problem.

Shindaiwa I believe is a step ahead over Stihl.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
I've heard many Stihl owners having a hard time starting their chainsaw. Just wanted someone who had real world experience having this problem.

Add me to your list. My stilh chainsaw is a b@tch to get started but once I get it going it runs like [censored] and its strong. Its a MS 250 I think. My buddy has a cheap poulan and it starts great and runs good as well. I have really scratched my head wondering why I paid so much more. Stilh is over rated imo.

They make good stuff but its over rated. I will take my chances with Shindaiaw from now on. I have had excellent results with their products and Echo is pretty good also but not as good imo. Shindiawa is the best of the best and they are all pretty good and you cant go wrong with any of them.

Originally Posted By: nomochevys
Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay

Add me to your list. My stilh chainsaw is a b@tch to get started but once I get it going it runs like [censored] and its strong. Its a MS 250 I think. My buddy has a cheap poulan and it starts great and runs good as well. I have really scratched my head wondering why I paid so much more. Stilh is over rated imo.

They make good stuff but its over rated. I will take my chances with Shindaiaw from now on. I have had excellent results with their products and Echo is pretty good also but not as good imo. Shindiawa is the best of the best and they are all pretty good and you cant go wrong with any of them.

Thanks for the feedback. There are no Echo dealers here and I believe there will be none. I talked with the head Shindaiwa salesman and evidently Shindaiwa will carry the Echo products. How much of impact on the market here hard to tell. Shindaiwa is strong here can't change people.

Shindaiwa is made in Japan which they have strict quality control. For long term and many hour usage Shindaiwa is built solid, high quality.

I have a Stihl Farm Boss saw, a Stihl string edger, and a Stihl leaf blower. After 15 years, this is the 16th season, every one of them still works perfectly and none of them have ever failed to start! Yes, they have always been difficult to start, meaning at least 7-8 pulls with the correct choke, many more without the correct setting; but 15+ years of without a problem is incredible. I can't same the same thing about my Honda Harmony mower--the pull cord broke once!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back