STIHL Brushcutters opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a heavy duty trimmer/cutter. The plastic string gets shredded too often as I have all sort of trees and shrubs.
I am looking at the Stihl models, STIHL FS 85 R

Stihl models

Any opinions on these? Clearly I will be using a metal blade that I assume is much more durable than plastic strings. I was told that the 85 model is powerful enough.

If you have a similar problem, have to deal with shrubs and tougher foliage what is your experience? How do you deal with them?

thanks

I have owned a Stihl FS85T for about 7 years for duty around my home. It has a split shaft onto which I attach 3 different heads, a string trimmer, a hedge trimmer or an edger. For the string trimmer attachment, I have a solid blade, which goes onto the string trimmer shaft in place of the string cassette, which I have used to clear typical Florida brush. It works quite well but when the "twigs" are larger than about 3/4 inch, it takes a couple of swipes to cut through. With the greater mass of the steel blade, the thing revs up much slower than with a string but it does have enough power to be quite effective with the blade. My blade is durable and has never needed sharpening though I carefully try to avoid rocks. When you cut heavy brush, there is a tendency for the blade to kick back; I keep my arms fully extended when I use the blade, well away from my feet. The only problems I have had with this piece, or my other Stihl equipment, is failure of the ignition coil. I am able to replace the coils myself but they are quite expensive, around $60 as I recall, as are all Stihl parts. One significant drawback of Stihl products is their archaic distribution system; they limit their dealers' ability to sell Stihl products and parts out their designated territories. In other words, you won't find Stihl being sold over the internet by authorized dealers. Occasionally, you will find a local Stihl dealer willing to play let's make a deal on price but it will take some shopping.

I already use a Stihl chainsaw and how coil issues. I am aware of their higher prices, but at the same time the chainsaw has been very reliable so worth the extra money.

3/4 inch would be plenty. Actually I am hoping to prevent them from growing so much by clearing the area more often. So most stems would be up to half inch or so. Besides the chainsaw can take care of the rest :)

Sounds like you are happy with it, except for the coil issue.
thanks

I've had a heavy duty Stihl brushcutter for 20 YEARS without anything but routine service-you can cut down just about anything with a sharp enough blade on it!!

I only used to think of Stihl when it came to OPE, but these days I use a Honda brushcutter (4 stroke, and very torquey) and a Dolmar/Makita chainsaw (probably the best power to weight ratio in the mid-larger pro saws of any brand)

Stihl are very good, but I tend to think there are as good/better at slightly more competitive prices in the market place these days.
Honda's four stroke technology is brilliant, and it's much quieter than the two strokes. I'd be a having a serious look at them if available near you. Start very easily and no two stroke mixing.
Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, Shindaiwa and Dolmar have/are releasing hybrid two/four strokes to get around looming EPA issues.

Shindaiwa brushcutters are very highly regarded by pro's too.

I don't know much about new 4 strokes. The salesman said that for small engines like in a trimmer/brushcutter it is difficult to keep oil flowing properly due to different orientations, movements, etc. I didn't see Honda machine anywhere around here.

I am aware that Stihl usually costs bit more than other brands of similar quality charge. Still I don't buy these things every day, so not worth the effort chasing a Honda dealer.

I already mix for my chainsaw, so no big deal.

I just ended up getting a Stihl. Actually it is much more stable and makes less noise than the usual Home Depot junk (got a cheap trimmer years ago). I used it some and works pretty well.

thanks for all the tips

Originally Posted By: bob_ninja
I don't know much about new 4 strokes. The salesman said that for small engines like in a trimmer/brushcutter it is difficult to keep oil flowing properly due to different orientations, movements, etc. I didn't see Honda machine anywhere around here.

thanks for all the tips

The Honda's have been out for years and I've never heard of any oil related issues. It's a Honda, remember
wink.gif

Your salesman was just doing his job, steering you towards his product.
I suppose we are lucky that the nearest reasonable size town has a Stihl dealer, and Honda, Husky, Shinny and Echo are sold from another OPE dealership. Shame they are getting a reputation as a [censored] dealer.....

Your Stihl will give you years of service, they are good bits of kit.

I have had a Stihl FS-250 for two years now. I have two words for it-AWESOME and expensive. I say expensive but it has been worth it. It is dang near impossible to bog down in weeds with the line on and I have cut down 6" plus trees with a blade on it (the blade will take care of anything but it's not as fast as the line when clearing weeds and light brush). I have used it HARD for these two years and have been very impressed with the quality. I would recommend bicycle style grips for anything heavier than just around the house trimming. I killed a Craftsman(Poulan) "brushcutter" putting through the same stuff the Stihl has been going through.

This is my first Stihl and I have never used a smaller Stihl model but if my smaller trimmer ever dies, I'll be looking at Stihls.

Well I have been using mine for about 1+ week now. We got colder nights and bugs are gone allowing me to go in and clear brush in front of the house. I use a saw like blade.
So far it has been working very well, cutting through as much as inch stems. It is great using the long handle to reach many places, low to the ground. I used a Stihl chainsaw before and it was tough.

That is basically my thinking. I paid extra money for a reliable machine that I know will serve me well for a long time. Nothing against 4 cycles engines. Just happens that I already use a 2 cycle Stihl chainsaw, so it is easier to make the same fuel mix for both, then have to worry about yet another engine oil changes. I already drive Honda cars, so good stuff. Still I have been using Stihl chainsaw for years and like their machines.

All in all, great stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back