Craftsman WS2400 vs Husqvarna 128LD

I’ve had an assorted array of used trimmers and it was constant issues. Wouldn’t start, not enough power, too slow etc.

I picked up a new Husqvarna 223L 10 years ago and it’s been working great. Haven’t touched anything else outside of a few Ryobi electric trimmers, but they are practically useless even with a 40V battery. Can’t cut through the thick brush like my 223L. Anyways, my Husqvarna has been giving me issues lately so I’m looking for a new ine

Lowe’s has a clearance on Husqvarna 128LD and 329L. But 329 is sold out. 525L is abit more than I want to spend at $450.

So its really down to 128LD or Craftsman WS2400. The Craftsman supposedly had a “commercial grade” engine. Anyone know what that means? Is it supposedly more durable than a “non-commercial” husqvarna such as the 128LD?

My current work load is 4 lots once a month that require heavy use of the trimmer, and 3 regular lots that just need standard edge trimming. It’s half of what I used to do, hence I needed the 223L. Occasionally I need to use a shrub cutter or chainsaw attachment.

Would either of these trimmers hold up to my use? Are Echo trimmers worth looking at? Also, is it worth getting a 4 cycle? It’s nice not having to keep running separate fuel but it’s not a big deal if they are more reliable.

I wouldn't consider either for heavy commercial use, especially for around $180. The engines are smaller but it is usually the cutting head or gearbox which will be the first parts to fail.. They would be fine for residential use. For heavy commercial use, I would consider something better.

The Husqvarna 525L is 329 at Lowes. It is a light and powerful trimmer. The 525LS and 525LST are even more so. I have a Husqvarna 525L and a Stihl FS56C. For heavy stuff I like the Stihl better. The FS56C has bicycle handlebars and a shoulder strap. I can use it much longer without fatigue. The Stihl is not heavy and I have come to like it as well or better than the commercial Husqvarna. The Stihl is around 250 new.

Both machines you picked are 11 pounds. Your 223 is a nice operating machine at 9 pounds. You will notice the weight difference with either.

I have a 128LD that I use for powering attachments but I won’t use it as a trimmer due to its short shaft. Hurts the back in no time. Has served me well for 10 years now though.

I also have a 223L that I’m convinced is the best daily use trimmer ever made. Parts are common and cheap if you wanted to refresh yours.

If I was looking to buy new right now I’d consider the husky 322L or echo SRM225. I have the 225 and it’s a good machine just a tad heavy for its engine class.

I have a 128LD that I use for powering attachments but I won’t use it as a trimmer due to its short shaft. Hurts the back in no time. Has served me well for 10 years now though.

I also have a 223L that I’m convinced is the best daily use trimmer ever made. Parts are common and cheap if you wanted to refresh yours.

If I was looking to buy new right now I’d consider the husky 322L or echo SRM225. I have the 225 and it’s a good machine just a tad heavy for its engine class.

I’ve been throwing parts at my 223L lately. New trimmer guard, new Chinese carb, hoses, filter, spark. Keeps dying after it’s warmed up. Adjusted the carb yesterday. Still dies and hard to start once warm. Going to fine tune it again today to see what the deal is.

My only reason to buy a new one is I don’t want to keep throwing new parts onto a machine that’s starting to fail all over. Cheaper just to buy a new one.

Your 223L is a very nice unit. Most likely worth labor to fix. I would bet your crankcase is leaking when hot. The parts are dirt cheap however it is a good 2-3 hours of fun you will have. You will need both front a rear crank seals, and the crackcase splits off the cylinder with a rubber o-ring that fits down inside a groove.

In some cases the issue is just the 4 screws holding the crankcase together will be loose. Easy fix, but in other cases it is just time to refresh the seals. The reason this is worth fixing is there is nothing out there with the power to weight ratio this has.

Oh, and the craftsman uses a similar if not identical Ryobi full crank engine. While better than the cheap disposable half crank engines, they are not good, and not commercial grade. The bolts holding the engine together shear off, there are no internal engine parts available should you ever need them.

Do explore the echo and shindaiwa lines and do not limit yourself to just husky.

Back