Sticker shock on PP and PU at Auto Zone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading some of the PCMO posts on great buys on full syn and syn blend. I decided to stop by a AZ and a Adv Auto in the Columbia, SC area. First the AZ had Pennzoil Plat 8.19 and Pennzoil Ultra for 8.69- both by the qt. A 5 qt. jug of PP was 29.99. Royal Purple was 8.99, only .30 more per qt than the PP. All of the above is 10w/30. I went to the Adv Auto nearby and found that per qt prices were cheaper by about .50. However, I ended up buying a 5 qt. jug of Mobil 1 EP -yes, Extended- and a Mobil 1 (12.99 reg. price) oil filter all for 32.99. Note: I have been using Pennzoil Ultra 10w/30 and really liked it. My LT1 Chevy V8 liked it.

I only buy oil when its on sale. The list price for oil that is not on sale is crazy. Having a stash allows me, and many other Bitog members to wait for the sales.

My local Walmart is around $1.75 cheaper per quart on PU than my Autozone. Even when Autozone has a sale, WM still beats them by a nickel.

Yeah I always buy oil at Walmart, because for the average 4-5 quart jug of oil, autozone usually charges about 6-7 dollars more than Walmart does.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I only buy oil when its on sale. The list price for oil that is not on sale is crazy. Having a stash allows me, and many other Bitog members to wait for the sales.

I agree. Buying oil on sale, specially with rebate, can save up to 70-80% regular price.

Regular price at auto parts stores is too expensive. If someone needs to buy oil without waiting for sale, then WM is the place to go to.

You gotta buy on sale at the auto parts stores. Just look for oil deals right here on Bob.

along these lines, sometimes the stores artificially inflate the price of the items to entice you to buy it at sale price.

For example that $9/quart may really have a standard market rate of $6. But they may have just had a sale or going to start one up, so the savings seem greater then the actual market rate.

Originally Posted By: Funster226
My local Walmart is around $1.75 cheaper per quart on PU than my Autozone. Even when Autozone has a sale, WM still beats them by a nickel.

Agreed. Was out oil shopping last weekend cause of the APP sale and the PP 5qt jug at my autozone was $29 and was $22 at WM. I got it at app with the p1 though. They also had great prices on QSUD and QSAD at WM. I think the advanced durability was like 12 bucks for the jug and ultimate was under 19...maybe a local sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back