Stereo stuff...

For @Astro14

1704946399543.jpg

How did you know!?

I was looking at 1970s receivers just the other day…
I still use a 1970s receiver for our home theater system. No remote, so I have the volume set as close as possible for movies, and plugged into a smart outlet, so I tell google assistant "turn on the stereo" and then the old receiver comes to life. An odd mix of old and new tech.

If only I had kept all of mine :rolleyes:. Had some pretty esoteric pieces, including my Mac C22 tube, but all went over the years (including my vinyl). Wife got evil this year and bought me a Jimmy Buffet album for Christmas released on Calypso Blue vinyl. Started looking at turntables and she was like"why are you looking at more stuff to buy?" I said it was her fault and how was I supposed to play my new Christmas gift? Needless to say, a Pro-ject Carbon EVO is on the way.

Still listen to my records every time I'm home alone. Got one spinning right now. First time I listened to this set (box set of 8 albums) and boy did they put a lot of bass in the mix

The turntable is about as old as I am, but the amp is only 20 years old

The younger generation doesn't know what they missed. Those tube amps also warmed up a room nicely on a cold winter's day.
While I never had tube equipment, friends did and they seem sound better. Guitar amps,,, tubes are by far better sounding

I paid $150 for a Sansui 9090DB 20 years ago, and just put $400 in parts and about a week's labor into restoration. I could sell it for $2500 today, and still have no desire to do so, because it has presence in the room and just sounds spectacular compared to the modern stuff I have. I regularly play vinyl and even have a bluetooth interface on the aux input that I stream through at times.

I have a rather nice Kenwood KR-9600 that I restored too. It doesn't handle the low end as well as the 9090DB, and the fear of damaging an unobtanium TA-200W power pack is real.

My home receiver is a 1968 Fisher. I have cassette and turntable as well but the music we listen is streamed from phone via bluetooth.

I have a collection of about 15 Marantzes and Pioneers as well that need to be sold.

Ages ago. I was into Vinyl as I couldn't afford a nice vacuum tube reel to reel - or the pricy tapes :)

Went from a BIC 960 with a SURE M95HE, To a DUAL with a Signet then some b&0 carts, then to an AR with a Grado F3E+ with a Linn Basik Las Vegas 10 (aka: LV X) tonearm.

Tried some upscale cartridges for a bit, kept improving the preamp trying the middle conrad-johnson PV series and Hafler DH110 kit and then an SAE Mark XXX.

Finally settled on a Thorens TD-160 with a Grace F9E and the Audible Illusions Modulus 2B preamp. Still wasnt wild about the Modulus. Sort of grey cast and noisy. SOmtimes a lowly, inexpensive Radioshack discreet preamp box was more liquid and sweeter - though it had very narrow sound-staging.

Then it was on to try and get good sound from CD. Uggh. What a flawed medium not ready for prime time.

I am mostly deaf now above 7 Khz, so it is just headphones HP chip on board sound and flawed std YT. Thinking of improving my desktop setup with a outboard DAC and a belt drive CD transport. Maybe check out lossless streaming too. Sounds complicated.

- Ken

While I never had tube equipment, friends did and they seem sound better. Guitar amps,,, tubes are by far better sounding
Correct. There's a distinct quality of sound that only tube amps can produce.

I had a Yamaha receiver from the late 70s-early 80s, model CR620. Wish I could get it back after I foolishly sold it for a relative pittance. It was so great with the 2 channel analog stuff compared to the late model receivers.

There was something really nice about quality 12 inch woofers powered by a hefty amp way back when. Strangely, it is difficult to replicate today. I tried, and while what I have sounds good, it's not the same.

Silly picture, but those are my Polk Rti A9 speakers. Tall, with 3ea 7" woofers, and completely devoid of any real bass.

HIjOznX.jpg

I had a Yamaha receiver from the late 70s-early 80s, model CR620. Wish I could get it back after I foolishly sold it for a relative pittance. It was so great with the 2 channel analog stuff compared to the late model receivers.
I think I just picked one of these up for a restore...

Correct. There's a distinct quality of sound that only tube amps can produce.
I used to visit manufacturers for product safety certification inspections (Think UL or CSA) and one of our customers was a prominent guitar and amp manufacturer.

I'll always remember a conversation I had there about the amps and how, as you said, you can't replace vacuum tubes. And that the best vacuum tubes come from this shop of old ladies in Russia.

I still use a 1970s receiver for our home theater system. No remote, so I have the volume set as close as possible for movies, and plugged into a smart outlet, so I tell google assistant "turn on the stereo" and then the old receiver comes to life. An odd mix of old and new tech.
My wife says we need a newer one with a remote.

Attachments

• 20221027_195128.jpg
    20221027_195128.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 26
I had the CA610 II Still have the brochure. Nice looking silver face unit with wood case and cute little meters. Thing was bright and strident as all get out - unless you were running old Bozaks :)

My last Yamaha was the A1 integrated. Pretty decent for Yamaha-ha, A good phono stage. Top of the Mid-fi heap. But, I think Nikko and Hitachi made better consumer level stuff.

yamaha ca 6010ii.jpg

yamaha A1.jpg

What many call Tube Sound is mainly the V-I Output Transformer coupling. They exhibit a signifcat reduction of Damping Factor and exhibit a pretty significant frequency response modification to the loudspeaker.

But they are quite mellifluous - even in a gain stage or as an inter-connexion input filter. I played around with them (1:1) a bit in the CD age trying to fix wrongs.

But an ecc83 RCA dual triode makes a decent gain stage, resistant to EMI RFI that just decimates the typical and ubquitous IC op amps- and our environment is now overly saturated with radio

If you heard a few different modern low-distortion tube preamps, they are anything but warm.

Back