Stepping it up a grade for high mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wdn
You do realize that most of these engines requiring 0W-20 grade engine oil are "world spec" engine oils not "CAFE oils", right? The California state legislature has nothing to do with it. This has been shown again and again repeatedly, by someone actually looking at the owners manual for Japan, Europe, Asia, Oz etc. for the same make/model of car and posting it. Same 0W-20 for all of them.

Sorry guy. No one is pushing thinner and thinner oils because they protect engine parts better. Is simply a matter of what is just good enough and also offers maximum fuel economy. Enough engines went to xW-20 then back to xW-30 to see sometimes they went a little far and had to backtrack.

Does the voa of the same grades show any diff between HM and regular oil from the same company? Not that voa shows everything ... Would "Seal conditioner" show up in voa ? What is the chemical composition of it? Is it like oil of olay?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by BLND1
Originally Posted by wdn
You do realize that most of these engines requiring 0W-20 grade engine oil are "world spec" engine oils not "CAFE oils", right? The California state legislature has nothing to do with it. This has been shown again and again repeatedly, by someone actually looking at the owners manual for Japan, Europe, Asia, Oz etc. for the same make/model of car and posting it. Same 0W-20 for all of them.

You can find just as many examples of conflicting oil grade recommendations in different markets.

Subaru FB20 engines spec 0w20 in the US and 5w30 in euro markets.

Subaru FB20 engine's motor oil spec is 0w20 in the US and in Australia.

When I had my Subaru Impreza serviced by an independent service outlet recently they used 10w-40 semi-synthetic oil, not the 0w-20 synthetic oil specified in the owner's manual. When I queried them I was told that 0w-20 is too light and that it isn't available in Australia. Am I being taken for a ride?

See answer here (or not) but for Australia the answer is 0W20

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-advice/q-and-a/right-oil-for-impreza-7526

Again, nothing to do with CAFE which is a US law.

I have found the best oil for the money without going to boutique oils like Amsoil or Redline are the following:

Pennzoil Euro oils...the 5W30 Euro L C3 variety has a thickness of CST 13 which is 5W40 territory. I prefer the mid to low saps variety as I put a lot of miles on engines and want to protect the cat. Also lower saps oils seem to play better with direct injection engines.

Mobil Delvac 1 5W40...seems to work well in whatever I put it in.

The Toyota Tacoma/Hilux 4 cylinder is the most durable engine out there. If I was stuck on an island or had to run an operation in a remote place this truck in 4 cylinder 4 wheel drive is what I would choose. The 6 cylinder version is more reliable than all American 6s but not as reliable as their 4 cyl. I would say the oil doesnt matter so much with Toyotas. Just change it out at 5k, but I personally wouldnt use 0W20 or 5W20. I would use a 5W30 and get the best one at Walmart for $22 which is Pennzoil 5W30 Euro L.

In general turbo and high mileage engines best to go thicker in general.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BLND1
CAFE is real, and it's effects are real.

Agreed

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Does the voa of the same grades show any diff between HM and regular oil from the same company? Not that voa shows everything ... Would "Seal conditioner" show up in voa ? What is the chemical composition of it? Is it like oil of olay?
grin2.gif

No, a VOA would not "show" seal conditioning agents (SCA's). SCA's can be many.. in general they soften the rubber making them pliable again and in some cases can increase the volume, returning it to normal size. Some seal materials like Viton and silicone are very resistant to chemicals so only a handful of very specific type (like some low molecular weight esters) of SCA's work on them.

Originally Posted by wdn
Subaru of Canada, 2020 Impreza owners manual, with the FB20DI direct injected 2.0L engine:
https://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebPageID=16400#

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

That was clearly written by an engineer that designed the engine! 0W-20 syn, or 5W-30 conventional, are the only things that will work in that engine. LOL. It was certainly not some accountant or secretary somewhere. No way.

The fact that it is in Imperial measures with litres in brackets would suggest this chart is intended for the US market, not the rest of the word which wouldn't have Imperial as an alternative.

Originally Posted by harry j
I use a 0W-30 oil in my civic, now with 572,000 miles / 920,544 km

^^^^^^^↑^^^^^^^^^^^^

And his car looks is in very good shape too. And the engine compartment is in great condition too...

It is common practice over here as well.

As far as I know my engine received 15W-40 from the dealerships when new.

In winter, I use 5W-40 or 10W-40.
In summer when it is hot (sometimes > 100 F) and the car idling for long times during city driving, I prefer something thicker as its still on its original bearings, oil pump etc.

Also I want to be on the safe side for longer highway runs @
I recently had the chance to acquire some cheap cans of Penrite 15W-50 so that's going through her now through the couple of next summer OCIs.

Originally Posted by hatt
I stepped up from CAFE oil the first oil change.

Why ?

Originally Posted by talest
Originally Posted by hatt
I stepped up from CAFE oil the first oil change.

Why ?

Because I'd rather have a little more margin in the engine protection department vs the imperceptible mileage increase it offered.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
I have never had to go to a thicker oil. If your vehicle is not burning or leaking oil I would keep running the recommended oil. If it's not broke don't try to fix it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If your vehicle is showing signs of needing high mileage oils, first try the same viscosity numbers as prior. If after a couple OCIs the leaks and/or consumption plague does not improve, kick the viscosity grade up to the next numbers..... ie..... 5w20 to either 5w30 or 10w30.

Are there any 0w40 or 5w40 high mileage oils?..... I haven't looked for - nor seen any.

Valvoline has a Euro 5W-40 MaxLife: https://www.valvoline.com/en-europe/our-products/engine-oil/maxlife

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...bd1/5b9c9ce1-cff4-e811-9c1b-ac162d889bd1

I'm not sure why they don't sell it here for Euro cars...

Originally Posted by Silk
The fact that it is in Imperial measures with litres in brackets would suggest this chart is intended for the US market, not the rest of the word which wouldn't have Imperial as an alternative.

I gave the link to the Subaru Canada website where you too can download that same manual yourself. It is the Canadian owners manual. Imperial quarts are used in Canada. Maybe not in New Zealand, but they are in Canada. Likewise, gasoline is sold in imperial gallons in Canada.

I also posted that the same Subaru FB20 DI engine in Australia also uses 0W-20. If you happen to have access to the 2020 Impreza owners manual for New Zealand though I would be interested in seeing it.

So far I have posted two countries that are not ruled by US CAFE laws, that specify 0W20 in that very new engine.

Originally Posted by wdn
Originally Posted by Silk

I gave the link to the Subaru Canada website where you too can download that same manual yourself. It is the Canadian owners manual. Imperial quarts are used in Canada. Maybe not in New Zealand, but they are in Canada. Likewise, gasoline is sold in imperial gallons in Canada.

Canada has used Metric since the 1980's. Our gas is sold in litres, oil is sold in litres, nobody uses gallons or quarts. Back before the metrification of things, we did, but that was a long, LONG time ago now.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
^ YES

Mazda has different 0W-20 for US only, 5W-30 for Mexico and all others.

NO

Mazda Canada also specifies 0W-20. Canada is not "US only". Here is the page from the Mazda Canada, 2019 Mazda3 owners manual (February 2020 printing) from here:
https://www.mazda.ca/en/owners/manuals/

Originally Posted by wdn
Subaru of Canada, 2020 Impreza owners manual, with the FB20DI direct injected 2.0L engine:
https://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebPageID=16400#

I'm going to go out on a limb here and infer from that page that they probably use the same manual for all english-speaking markets, which is why it has US gallons, litres (what we use in Canada) and Imperial gallons on it. Most marques will do a US/Canada manual that has US and Metric on it, for example, this is from the RAM 1500 manual:
[Linked Image]

Canada doesn't typically get its "own" manual, or specs, we get whatever is indicated for the USA for the most part with the odd exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back