Steering wheel zero turn

Id like one of these in a 54in, like say a ZTS2due to my yard slope, and the fact I have to trim around alot. I borrowed brothers ZT2 -50, and while it was ok on slope , hard to trim close to stuff at any speed at all. My question is, how stiff is wheel to turn? My shoulders are getting bad. Is it as stiff as my rider? The rider pulls on the steering wheel quite a bit on rough ground. My shoulders really liked bros lap bar mower. I'm trying to save my shoulders , and cut down how long it takes me to cut 1.5 ac

Don’t take anyone’s assumption here. I would contact
Mowers Direct or a full line Cub Cadet dealer and ask. Cub Cadets steering wheel zero turns are supposed to handle grades better. I’m sure Toro makes something, too for golf courses but $&&&.

Yes you'd have to test drive to see if you like it.

Realize that a steering wheel zero turn is made by installing a complicated mechanical box in between the wheel and the two transmission control levers that ultimately control the drive. A two-lever zero turn is a simpler machine.

Yes you'd have to test drive to see if you like it.

Realize that a steering wheel zero turn is made by installing a complicated mechanical box in between the wheel and the two transmission control levers that ultimately control the drive. A two-lever zero turn is a simpler machine.
Not something I would buy from Cub Cadet/MTD.

How large of an area do you need to mow?

I have had a Cub Cadet 42" Zero Turn, steering wheel machine for seven years. I have had zero problems and love it. To keep the steering light, just grease the steering fittings every ten hours.

Thanks folks....None close at all to try unfortunately. I guess the question is, has anyone went from a regular rider to a steering wheel zero turn, and if so , how does steering effort compare. Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks folks....None close at all to try unfortunately. I guess the question is, has anyone went from a regular rider to a steering zero turn, and if so , how does steering effort compare. Thanks
I've had both Scag and Gravely zero turns and the steering effort is almost nil. My John Deere garden tractor type mower was much harder to steer. I have bad rotator cuffs so the garden tractor was harder on my shoulders than a zero turn. Go to a lawn equipment dealer and test drive one. I think you will be surprised.

Back