steering wheel sqeaks when turned

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my Saturn's. Steering wheel started squeaking today. Sounds like styrofoam rubbing together. Im not to worried about it its probably nothing major but it sure is annoying. Any idea why it would squeak? Thanks guys

my wife's SL does it too. Plastic on plastic. Like when a fat girl wears cordurouy pants.

Seems like all makes and models have the intermediate shaft noise. i just grease it, last a few years, do it again.

My Pathfinder's steering wheel squeaks too sometimes. It sounds like it's coming from the spiral cable, but I found a TSB that claims it's from the steering column and the fix is to replace the entire steering column assembly.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
My Pathfinder's steering wheel squeaks too sometimes. It sounds like it's coming from the spiral cable, but I found a TSB that claims it's from the steering column and the fix is to replace the entire steering column assembly.
33.gif

Read THIS Ignore the TSB years, many makes and models use the same concept. Maybe some of it applies for yours, have a close look. I've greased a bunch of different makes with the Toyota kit, saves a 1k steering column job! Don't even have to remove. I even use it on pulley bearing along the serp.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
How do you grease it

See above reply^^. Look at the diagram, see how close your saturn is. Should be the part that goes from under the dash to the engine compartment. turn the wheel and listen while your under there. you could make something that does it, or get that one for $14

Somewhere in there should be a bearing or bushing that gets to the point it needs grease or replacing. Sometimes there is a dust barrier below. This is the worn out one that was on my Corvair, and a "new" donor bearing I greased and installed.

page16-1007-full.jpg

That inner part is what goes tightly around the shaft while the outer part goes in the column.
page16-1006-full.jpg

Obviously things have changed over the years, but somewhere there is a bearing surface.

How do you grease it

On my Toyota Sienna the rubber boot that connects the steering shaft to the fire wall squeaks when it gets cold. Spray it with some silicone spray and it should go away.

How exactly would I got about greasing that bearing? I'm pretty sure the noise is coming toward the top. It sounds like its ckming from where the steering wheel is bolted on

Originally Posted By: JC1
How do you grease it

On my Toyota Sienna the rubber boot that connects the steering shaft to the fire wall squeaks when it gets cold. Spray it with some silicone spray and it should go away.

Use grease at the metal boot ring as well as greasing the internals of the intermediate shaft. Silicone spray is not recommended, it dilutes and breaks the grease down. The boot is just a dirt shield and outside air insulator for the knuckle, doesn't connect to anything.

Sometimes that sound is the clockspring. I was thinking the sound like when George wore those polyester pants to his interview.

That Toy TSB was initially issued approx. 3 yrs to deal with the 1st round of squeaking/clunking issues RE: Toy steering wheel intermittent noise (clunking) that the re-greasing of the shaft splines didn't completely resolved it, more like delaying the noise problem til later.

2 subsequent revised intermediate shaft released later, the problem was finally resolved.

Wifey's 04 camry LE suffered from the very same clunking noise like most other camry of that same generations when I test drove them; while almost all Toy tech referred to this TSB to keep the customer's noise level down, 2 senior toy tech told me that this was an issue due to parts provider (in this case: the intermediate shaft OE supplier to Toy) insufficient heat treatment to the splines. As the spline wear and the clearance increases, the clunking appears.

As for boot noise: it seldom happens but when that happens, see if you can recover a bit of grease between the shaft surface and the boot inner lip to re-grease the contact area?

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
That Toy TSB was initially issued approx. 3 yrs to deal with the 1st round of squeaking/clunking issues RE: Toy steering wheel intermittent noise (clunking) that the re-greasing of the shaft splines didn't completely resolved it, more like delaying the noise problem til later.

2 subsequent revised intermediate shaft released later, the problem was finally resolved.

Wifey's 04 camry LE suffered from the very same clunking noise like most other camry of that same generations when I test drove them; while almost all Toy tech referred to this TSB to keep the customer's noise level down, 2 senior toy tech told me that this was an issue due to parts provider (in this case: the intermediate shaft OE supplier to Toy) insufficient heat treatment to the splines. As the spline wear and the clearance increases, the clunking appears.

As for boot noise: it seldom happens but when that happens, see if you can recover a bit of grease between the shaft surface and the boot inner lip to re-grease the contact area?

Q.

+1 agreed. If your not a tinkerer pay the money to have it replaced. Not cheap, but worth it.

I was a certified mech so no challenges on my part (I replaced/service my wifey's intermediate shaft all by myself), vehicle has gone over 70,000kms so far and no more clunking...

Q.

So are you guys takiing about the boot that is where the steering nuckle down by the rack? It sounds like its ciming from right behind the wheel

So are you guys takiing about the boot that is where the steering nuckle down by the rack? It sounds like its ciming from right behind the wheel

Yes. Try grease around that boot hole. The intermediate shaft noise does sound like its behind the wheel when your sitting in the drivers seat. I don't know why. But as others have said, its a temp fix, the only way to stop it is swap it out. make sure you mark the shafts, or your steering wheel will be crooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back