Clicking/popping noise when turning steering wheel.

03 Deville makes a clicking or popping noise when turning wheel either way. More pronounced when left turning. Thought was bad wheel bearing. Replaced whole hub and noise is still there. Tie rods look ok no fluid. Car goes straight and turns as its supposed to....just makes a noise. Noise is more pronounced when turning wheel in park. Friend who is a shade tree mechanic is coming over tomorrow to help me with it. Ideas? Suggestions? Almost has metalic sound.....not clunking or banging....mostly a click.

All replies appreciated.

Since it does it in park, open hood, have a helper turn wheel while you look around for source.

I'd wonder about the upper strut mount.

Tie rods look ok no fluid

What does tie rod fluid look like? ;) I'd still check the TR ends for play and boots for rips/cracks, though you should feel that steering when moving, play in the wheel or wondering vehicle path when going straight. I'd also jack up each side of the front, one at a time and wiggle the wheel and look for anything loose, poking and prying on every joint.

Last edited:
Steering shaft.

That era of GM vehicles had issues with them and the original fix was to remove and lubricate. That didn't work long term so they have a revised design shaft. Had this on my 01 Aurora and 06 GMC...was a lot of vehicles effected. The shaft is loosened under hood and under the dash and remove - be careful NOT to allow the steering wheel to turn when disconnected or you will damage the clockspring. It would have to move a lot but still be careful. You could, as a test, spray it down with some grease at the u jount and splines and see if it gets better. It is annoying i understand.

My 05 Yukon sounds like the steering shaft is falling apart, but it was just design that was not ready for use in production. Mine steers fine just noisey and definitely not confidence inspiring.

Reactions: D60
Steering shaft.

That era of GM vehicles had issues with them and the original fix was to remove and lubricate. That didn't work long term so they have a revised design shaft. Had this on my 01 Aurora and 06 GMC...was a lot of vehicles effected. The shaft is loosened under hood and under the dash and remove - be careful NOT to allow the steering wheel to turn when disconnected or you will damage the clockspring. It would have to move a lot but still be careful. You could, as a test, spray it down with some grease at the u jount and splines and see if it gets better. It is annoying i understand.
That was my 1st. thought. That coupler!
Was the 2001 Granp Prix SE affected by that issue?

Back