'97 Mercedes rear wheel noise when decelerating

An annoying noise is developing at a rear wheel. It's a chirping noise that happens while decelerating at low speeds and matches the rotation speed of the wheel. It is more pronounced around 35km/h and lower.

At first i thought that it was happening while braking but just decelerating seems to be enough to cause this.I don't think it's a caliper problem, the disc is barely warm to the touch after driving, just like the other side.

What do you think? I can somewhat replicate the noise by shaking the wheel as hard as i can while the car is parked.

Benz had CV joints on the rear drive axle if memory serves correctly.. CV joints tend to click when they wear.

but best bet is to remove the rear wheel and make a good visual inspection and see if you can find the issue

Removed the wheel again and i really can't see anything wrong. If i rock the wheel back and forth without the parking brake applied there's no squeal at all. Washed the car today and the noise didn't happen for the first few hundred meters.

Something else i've tried is applying the parking brake slowly while the car is moving at very low speed and i can hear a light clunk happening or the right side.

I'm starting to think that parking brake mechanism is the problem here...

Brake pads may be thick, but are they lubed properly with all of the hardware installed?

Well it seems my issue definitely isn't coming from the brakes. Now it appears 100% of the time while coasting in neutral below 45kmh. Had someone listening with me in the car and he thinks the noise comes from the driveline, not the wheels.

Back