Steering bind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a weird thing happen with my truck today that hasn't happened before. I stopped at a store that had tight parking and I had to turn the wheels all the way to the left to get the truck in the parking spot. I didn't really think about it, threw the truck in park, and went inside. When I came back out and started the truck, the steering would not move in either direction, the check engine light came on, and the truck would not move in any gear. I turned it off, shook the steering wheel some, and started it back up. The steering moved like normal, there were no lights, and no noises. I guess I just managed to get it in a bind? Is it possible I did any damage? Everything seems completely normal now.

The steering is rack and pinion BTW.

Sounds like the steering wheel lock. The vehicle stops and put in park. Cars moves an inch or so and it's bound up. Shaking the steering wheel did it. JMO. Ed

Always park with the steering wheel straight, and if on an incline be sure to use the parking brake.

Shaking the wheel will release it most of the time, but I have seen times that it would not. Seems to occur more when it's hot outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back