Station wagons. Coming back or still bad memories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Red91
If I accomplish nothing more in my life, I will live in the country with a yard full of Roadmaster wagons and assorted B bodies to keep them going.

After having over a dozen B body cars, including 2 96 Impala SS's, they are one of GM's best platforms they should have stuck with for many reasons.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
I love my Accord Wagon.

The 5th gen Accord wagons, IMO, were absolutely the best looking in the product line. I really liked them!

I agree
thumbsup2.gif

I remember back in the day with the LTD wagon and a Vista Cruiser wagon. Had many fishing/camping trips with them. Even a Valco aluminum boat on a trailer hitched to the LTD wagon. If I remember it had the 400 in that one.
There were a few times I didn't feel like pitching the tent (canvas pole tent) so would throw it on top out of the way or out on the ground, and the wagon was plenty enough room to crawl in a sleeping bag and fall asleep, sometimes with a AM/FM portable radio on low volume (not all plastic radio either - one that took D batteries and also had a decent carry handle). And the stupid 6-volt lantern (save the Coleman white gas lantern for out of the vehicle).
They served my purpose back then to include daily driving and out of town trips.
And yes they would do donuts
grin.gif

add - I think I ran the Sears RoadHandler tire back then on those wagons - and either a Sears battery or Roddy (local relabeled battery).
That Ford & Olds served me well, then the trucks replaced them. One bad move back then was one of the trucks a Ford with straight 6 and 3 on the tree struggled the hills loaded down towing a bigger boat. Badly pulling up steep boat ramps. But the Chevy w/454 no problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: bigjl
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I personally would rather drive a station wagon than a sedan.
chrysler-300-wagon-007.jpg

foto-xf-2-sp_04-6gsivq3px1aaioijmfwsh8oupe1ijm3z1c66yhna534.jpg

BUT
this is where I draw the line.
AeroWagenwebpage-1.jpg

I would too. That second one is an abomination.

The 2nd one or the 3rd?

Because the XF Sportbrake is not what I would describe as an abomination.

That last one. The second pic didn’t show in my iPhone because I didn’t scroll down. Thanks for pointing this out.

Can't disagree with your opinion on that model of Ferrari

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Why dirty butt? Also doesn't SUV / CUV has the same road noise issue due to open cabin/trunk/hatch?

No idea--all I know is my car was perpetually dirty on the rear hatch. After six or so years you could see lines in the rear glass from the wiper. Something about that car, just simply made dirt stick to the rear. Maybe if I washed it more than once a month it wouldn't have mattered.
21.gif

I'd think yes, an SUV/CUV would have the same road noise issue. Which is why I decided I wanted a sedan when I was done. I do have an overgrown station wagon, but its cargo area is completely isolated from the passenger area.

Originally Posted By: Red91
If I accomplish nothing more in my life, I will live in the country with a yard full of Roadmaster wagons and assorted B bodies to keep them going.

I have a 92 Caprice wagon and 1996 Roadmaster wagon.
smile.gif

My dad had a white 1969 Chevy Impala townsman wagon with a big block plenty of vacations in that wagon. Traded in his 64 GTO for it.My mom also just got her driver's license bought her a 1969 RS Camaro. I remember my dad as a joke teaching mom how to burn rubber and my two brothers and I getting thrown all over the back of that station wagon.Boy could that big block wagon leave rubber.

My dad had a white 1969 Chevy Impala townsman wagon with a big block plenty of vacations in that wagon. Traded in his 64 GTO for it.My mom also just got her driver's license bought her a 1969 RS Camaro. I remember my dad as a joke teaching mom how to burn rubber and my two brothers and I getting thrown all over the back of that station wagon.Boy could that big block wagon leave rubber.

In Europe they are very popular, especially among people that drive long trips. I would say they are even more popular than saloons/sedans. Compared to the SUVs they handle better, have better economy, look better IMO. Only downside would be lower roof line and seating position compared to the SUV-older people might find that challenging. Road distance is also quite low on modern Euro Estates and with long wheelbase it can be troublesome for rural areas. Built for Autobahns.

I currently have one, it handles, brakes and dives like normal car yet it has large boot of 500l with seats up. As for added noise, I've found that Euro makes are very good insulated and on pair with saloons. Certainly there shouldn't be any difference to the SUVs as they are same in body configuration.

1988 was the last year that Nissan sold a Maxima station wagon in the USA. A few years later, there was no more Stanza or Sentra station wagon.

I remember it quite well because a friend in my neighborhood showed my how his mom's Nissan Maxima station wagon worked. He showed me how all the Knight Rider stuff worked, and asked me if my mom's Maxima sedan did the same things. Everything was basically the same except that the station wagon had a windshield wiper for the back window.

My mom said that we she got her Maxima sedan, she was offered a good price on the wagon, but there were few takers. She said buying a buying a sedan was a way of rebelling against parents who drove station wagons.

Maxima station wagons are popular here, maybe still are. My neighbour has a Nissan Stagea, basically a Skyline station wagon, his is AWD. Same colour as and very similar to my Volvo 850 wagon. When I see it go past I wonder who's taken my Volvo out.

800px-Nissan_Stagea_001.JPG

I would like to get a aspen/volare wagon with a 4 spd and a slant six or a 318 maybe even an auto with it or the dream one -a super six.Or the rare factory Load Runner(a play on the road runner name)option.I would also take an Aries/Reliant 5 spd wagon.Unfortunately every time I run across one for sale I am broke at that time.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back