Station wagons. Coming back or still bad memories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Subaru will absolutely not refer to it as a station wagon. But I view my Subaru Outback as a station wagon.

Station wagons (as well as mini-vans and a few other vehicle types) are considered very uncool by a good chunk of the buying public who by and large would rather be seen taking a bus or hitchhiking before they would be caught dead in a station wagon or mini-van.

This is one part of the automotive society that just cracks me up. People think it's an atrocity to be seen in a minivan, or a station wagon, but yet they somehow think SUVs and CUVs are cool. Talk about sheeple being brainwashed by the masses. All of these vehicles are basically nothing more than boxes on wheels, but for some reason, SUVs and CUVs being less practical somehow makes them cool...

Toyota marketed the Venza as a cross over vehicle. It is for all purposes a Camry wagon. Their marketing department felt that the Highlander did everything the Venza could do and discontinued the Venza a couple of years ago. The Venza was about one of the most up to date wagons I've seen. Roomy, great stance, great driving postion. It felt like a full size wagon that I grew up with as a kid. I like wagons but the buying public has voted with dollars and it is SUV and Trucks as far as the eyes can see.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tdog02
Toyota marketed the Venza as a cross over vehicle. It is for all purposes a Camry wagon. Their marketing department felt that the Highlander did everything the Venza could do and discontinued the Venza a couple of years ago. The Venza was about one of the most up to date wagons I've seen. Roomy, great stance, great driving postion. It felt like a full size wagon that I grew up with as a kid. I like wagons but the buying public has voted with dollars and it is SUV and Trucks as far as the eyes can see.

If they had just made an AWD Camry wagon that might've done better? Raise it a touch and market it like the Outback, practical and rugged. The Venza looks a bit exotic/expensive and with the 19" or 20" rims it must be a bit expensive to get good tires for it even now, let alone when it came out.
It has the same cargo volume as a CRV but I don't know if it would take the 3 bikes like my CRV/Focus does. I guess I should have a look at the Venza in person, but it didn't come to mind when looking for a practical AWD SUV/wagon.

Wagons are awesome! I don't know why 'mericuhans hate them so much. I have owned 4 so far. Wish they brought more of them here.

When I was in Germany, all the cars that were hauling [censored] the fastest were wagons.

Audi-RS3-Avant-rendering-2.jpg

bmw_m135i_12_03.jpg

adv1-rs4-avant-rs5-wagon-lowered-bronze-black-wheels-w-1170x792.jpg

Last edited:
Just bring back the Vista Cruiser. Dad used to go to Oldsmobile dealers and test drive Vista Cruisers with the whole family. We kids thought the dome roof was the coolest thing ever, and the fact that it was sort of like a domed observation car on a streamlined train also didn't hurt the cool factor.

Here's my wagon swinging around the cones.

I don't know if its just the weight distribution of the wagon, or all Foci rotate as easily, but the car is easy to fling around on the faster transitions.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Just bring back the Vista Cruiser. Dad used to go to Oldsmobile dealers and test drive Vista Cruisers with the whole family. We kids thought the dome roof was the coolest thing ever, and the fact that it was sort of like a domed observation car on a streamlined train also didn't hurt the cool factor.

It really was a unique style. Back in the days pre-seat belt laws you could cram a lot of school kids in one for field trips.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

I have pulled a trailer with a buick estate wagon. weight distributing hitch, low center of gravity. Would probably handle a travel trailer better than my avalanche.

With a modern fuel injected 6.0, a 411 rear, and overdrive. It would tow well. But won't happen due to cafe.

Screen-shot-2014-11-10-at-5.38.18-PM.png

I liked my wagon but over time noticed a few things I didn't like, so when I was able to split driving duties into two vehicles, away it went.
-dirty butt all the time
-longer to heat/cool due to larger interior
-more road noise due to empty trunk area
-FWD and low clearance did mean issues in snow

It was very utilitarian and I loved it, and was the best suited vehicle for the job at hand, when I could only have one. But I'd be lying if I didn't state that I prefer a 4 door sedan for single person commuting and light kid duty.

We had a 88 Plymouth Aries similar to this one. No bad memories with it. One of the first cars my parents kept long term. My sister and I liked to fight and they thought a minivan would be better.. it wasn't! Our Escape is basically a station wagon.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
I love my Accord Wagon.

The 5th gen Accord wagons, IMO, were absolutely the best looking in the product line. I really liked them!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Marketing is pure genius!! They try to make you think you're a "bad mom" if you're not driving your rugrats around in the newest kewlest SUV!!

To be fair now that we're supposed to use rear-facing car seats (a hassle to load the kid in/ out) for 24 months and not supposed to use the front passenger seat until age 12, it takes a bigger vehicle to haul the same kids than it did a generation ago.

We stuffed our kids in a saturn s-series, but the front passenger seat was fairly far forward in its track to make room for the rear-facing seat.

This.

Car seats have gone massive with those extra foams and steel beams, rear facing till 4 years old, stuff like that.

So you can't really pack them too tight, and because of rear facing mom wants to sit NEXT to the baby and the older ones sit in the 3rd row. And therefore every good dad will end up with a 3 row SUVs because minivans are uncool.

We have 2 kids only, 3 years apart. So we ask the older one to "transfer" things from front row mom to the rear facing toddler. So far it works out ok with the "wagon" Prius V. Flat loading "trunk" is good for diaper changing too.

Originally Posted By: supton
I liked my wagon but over time noticed a few things I didn't like, so when I was able to split driving duties into two vehicles, away it went.
-dirty butt all the time

It was very utilitarian and I loved it, and was the best suited vehicle for the job at hand, when I could only have one. But I'd be lying if I didn't state that I prefer a 4 door sedan for single person commuting and light kid duty.

Why dirty butt? Also doesn't SUV / CUV has the same road noise issue due to open cabin/trunk/hatch?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: supton
-dirty butt all the time

Why dirty butt? Also doesn't SUV / CUV has the same road noise issue due to open cabin/trunk/hatch?

Today’s cars have much better sound deadening and insulation. Most of the old wagons were body on frame. I can’t remember if Chrysler’s K wagon was the pioneer in unibody wagons or not but still old tech compared to today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back