Station wagons. Coming back or still bad memories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac

I prefer the higher ride height. Awd helps in inclement weather. And, because I can choose which vehicle to purchase and drive.
You have a pickup truck. Why? The Volvo V70 says XC. Does that not mean cross country or crossover depending on what drive you have?

V70! That hot Volvo wagon I test drove was a V70R, great power once it decided to get going...which was a LONG time. So bizarre that the car more or less didn't move at all for a second or so and then just flew. I turned to the salesman and said something like "What the (heck)!" and he just shrugged his shoulders and said that was the way it was. The back seat was also so tight as to be almost unusable.

I love it when people who don't live in hilly snow country tell me that AWD and extra ride height are of no use to me...heck, I also have a place up in the mountains and I'm not buying some vehicle that I don't think is going to get me up there in bad driving/good skiing conditions. So nice to learn that everybody with an SUV is stupid, just love the way this thread went down the john thanks to an overly opinionated poster who won't listen.
(not targeted at PimTac!)

Last edited:
I never cared for wagons however a guy down the street has a totally awesome Cadillac CTS V series wagon. It looks really good and bad [censored]! That is probably the only wagon I'd consider.

I am really bummed Audi stopped bringing Avants to the States. The S4 Avant was a beautiful sleeper.

Now they've replaced them with Allroad and CUVs.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I am really bummed Audi stopped bringing Avants to the States. The S4 Avant was a beautiful sleeper.

Now they've replaced them with Allroad and CUVs.
frown.gif

I’ve always admired the looks of the Audi wagons, inside and out.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

I prefer the higher ride height. Awd helps in inclement weather. And, because I can choose which vehicle to purchase and drive.
You have a pickup truck. Why? The Volvo V70 says XC. Does that not mean cross country or crossover depending on what drive you have?

V70! That hot Volvo wagon I test drove was a V70R, great power once it decided to get going...which was a LONG time. So bizarre that the car more or less didn't move at all for a second or so and then just flew. I turned to the salesman and said something like "What the (heck)!" and he just shrugged his shoulders and said that was the way it was. The back seat was also so tight as to be almost unusable.

I love it when people who don't live in hilly snow country tell me that AWD and extra ride height are of no use to me...heck, I also have a place up in the mountains and I'm not buying some vehicle that I don't think is going to get me up there in bad driving/good skiing conditions. So nice to learn that everybody with an SUV is stupid, just love the way this thread went down the john thanks to an overly opinionated poster who won't listen.

Well stated.

While the minivan was an evolutionary step forward from a station wagon, the CUV is a step backwards. They are neither more sporty nor utilitarian. Notice I didn't include the traditional, body on frame SUVs here. These are a natural step from a truck is one wants to trade cargo space for passenger space, but still be able to tow heavy loads.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Yes, you need a vehicle with AWD and some ground clearance. Many/most people who buy SUV's don't ever use these capabilities but think they have to have them. My parents for one, they make a point of not driving in bad weather but still have a Forester. My mom likes to be able to see "better", etc, and the AWD does allow you to drive around a bit easier on snowy roads, but she got around fine for decades in a fwd car with snow tires. I'd guess if you added up the extra gas and expense of her last 3 SUV's over a mid size wagon(if one was available), it might be $20-30k.
For the people who live in the south and buy FWD SUV's, they probably would be better served with a midsize wagon, but those don't exist here.
Its a free market and everyone can spend how they like, but the narrow range of options available in the world's largest car market is a bit annoying for people who want practicality.

I always thought my Mazdaspeed 3 looked more like a wagon than a hatchback; it was a nice car for longer trips.
I like the 3 Series wagon a lot, but unfortunately you can't get RWD or the turbo six, so it's a non-starter for me.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Still can't figure out why people buy SUVs...

Didn't you used to own a 4Runner?

Sure, bought it for 4 wheeling.

And I actually used it for that. It was lifted 2" and had BFG tires. I am well aware of the strengths/capabilities of an SUV.

As well as their weaknesses.

To be frank, I've seen dozens and dozens of crashed SUVs in Vermont, and Colorado, during inclement weather. People who bought them for the "all weather capability" didn't realize that extra weight, and high CG, won't help them stop, or make the next slippery turn...an $800 investment in snow tires would've been a lot smarter than that shiny new SUV.

People who bought those SUVs never actually took them off pavement, either. So, you bought it because of ground clearance, AWD, whatever, and then, never used it...that strikes me as a profligate waste of money.

The XC is a wagon. Just like the T5, except that the T5 is a sports car in disguise. The XC does everything a modern AWD unibody crossover can do, but with better handling, better ride, and better MPG. It has 2 inches on the T5. Not tall at all. But perfect in the snow, and comfortable on a long drive.

I bought a truck (Tundra) because I needed something that could:
1. Tow an 8,000# trailer/Packard combo
2. Carry outsized and heavy cargo, like a Powermatic jointer.
3. Go 4 wheeling when I want it to.

That eliminated every SUV save the Suburban, which was in strong contention, but the pickup is superior at moving heavy, outsized, items. The Tundra has hauled lumber, rocks, furniture, car parts, mulch, and a door, none of which would have fit in a CUV/SUV except, perhaps, the Suburban.

But the small to mid CUVs, which couldn't have carried any of that, are in many ways, WORSE for cargo and utility than my wife's Volvo XC, because that "ride height" makes the roof rack harder to load with kayaks, or skis, or lumber. She has hauled all of those with her Volvo, and she used to pick up bags of mulch and landscaping materials with her Volvo. Now she uses the Tundra. The right tool for the job.

Seriously, don't buy on marketing. Or hype. Just define the requirement set, then compare options, and choose. Sounds simple, and yet, car buyers fail to do that about 90% of the time.

Last edited:
Marketing is pure genius!! They try to make you think you're a "bad mom" if you're not driving your rugrats around in the newest kewlest SUV!! Join the cattle herd of soccer moms everywhere,be seen by the other less fortunate moms in this expensive SUV and show them you're a better mom than them,and that you love your kids more than they love theirs! :p

I remember back when we had an ice storm up in Dallas,the only vehicles either stuck in the ice or wrecked in the medians abandoned were SUVs,and there I was cruising right past them all in my 300ZX.

Well we cannot all be perfect.

I've made some very poor choices in the past...let me tell you about my ex-wife...

On second thought, BITOG would censor most of what I have to say...just believe me when I tell you that I am not perfect.

I have a fondness for Subaru's Legacy wagons. I'd have bought another one if they hadn't stopped making them in 08 migrating everyone to the Outback or Forester.

I do like a good wagon. Moreso than a SUV or minivan.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
We love our 2005 Legacy turbo wagon with manual. It’s fun to drive. Subaru killed it in 2006 and stuck with lessor handling jacked up plastic clad Legacy aka Outback.

I’d buy another wagon but they are a luxury item it seems now and selection is slim.

Wagons are dead. Oddly my dream car is the recent AMG wagon with 600 ish HP. Way over my $25k cash limit for a car.

They made the Legacy Estate long after 2006 for RHD markets.

I have been browsing the Japanese Car Auctions recently as I fancy a Legacy Estate, but would rather have the Turbo petrol rather than the NA petrols and turbo diesels they have in the UK.

Japan market vehicles are also in very good condition even at 10 years old with low mileages.

I always felt that the buyers in the US and Canada were more interested in SUVs than Estates.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I personally would rather drive a station wagon than a sedan.
chrysler-300-wagon-007.jpg

foto-xf-2-sp_04-6gsivq3px1aaioijmfwsh8oupe1ijm3z1c66yhna534.jpg

BUT
this is where I draw the line.
AeroWagenwebpage-1.jpg

I would too. That second one is an abomination.

The 2nd one or the 3rd?

Because the XF Sportbrake is not what I would describe as an abomination.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Marketing is pure genius!! They try to make you think you're a "bad mom" if you're not driving your rugrats around in the newest kewlest SUV!!

To be fair now that we're supposed to use rear-facing car seats (a hassle to load the kid in/ out) for 24 months and not supposed to use the front passenger seat until age 12, it takes a bigger vehicle to haul the same kids than it did a generation ago.

We stuffed our kids in a saturn s-series, but the front passenger seat was fairly far forward in its track to make room for the rear-facing seat.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I personally would rather drive a station wagon than a sedan.
chrysler-300-wagon-007.jpg

foto-xf-2-sp_04-6gsivq3px1aaioijmfwsh8oupe1ijm3z1c66yhna534.jpg

BUT
this is where I draw the line.
AeroWagenwebpage-1.jpg

I would too. That second one is an abomination.

The 2nd one or the 3rd?

Because the XF Sportbrake is not what I would describe as an abomination.

That last one. The second pic didn’t show in my iPhone because I didn’t scroll down. Thanks for pointing this out.

Subaru will absolutely not refer to it as a station wagon. But I view my Subaru Outback as a station wagon.

Station wagons (as well as mini-vans and a few other vehicle types) are considered very uncool by a good chunk of the buying public who by and large would rather be seen taking a bus or hitchhiking before they would be caught dead in a station wagon or mini-van.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back