Starting Over - 2013 Prius

My older 2010 Prius with 1.8 l engine finally died.

It had 210,000 miles and the #1 cylinder failed this week after replacing plugs and coils a year ago. A second attempt was made 3 weeks ago to replace the plug in #1 (after CEL with code 301). Plug was oily and fouled. Car began losing coolant 4 days ago. Taken to dealer Wednesday to confirm code & they noted that hydrocarbons were getting into cylinder, along with air bubbles in coolant. Done for. The reports of failures of a blown head gasket appear to have come true for me.

Repair would be $4500 or a rebuilt motor for $6500, according to dealer. Not in the budget.

So, took to another dealer for trade in. Now have a 2013 Prius, with 69k miles.

I checked the head on this new car and it appears there is a new gasket with sealant noticeable at the #1 cylinder area. So took a chance & bought it. It was about all I could afford. (This is a daily commuter with 45 miles each way.)

My question: Any recommendations to start with a good 0w20, recommended for the Toyota 1.8 engine? The dealer did an OC, but not sure what brand.

I always used Mobil or Havoline before. Once I tried Pennzoil and Valvoline. Both were high mileage oils.

GL

Ouch, I had the same issue on mine but I repaired it myself. Where are you in Northern CA?

Regardless of what you decide to use, I would change the oil every 5K. The more frequent changes may keep the rings cleaner.

The Toyota oil that the dealer sells for that Prius has a top-notch / real good add-pack. You really don't need to look any further. 2nd Place is Mobil-1 EP.
If you are dying to pay more than EP pricing, check out Mobil-1 AP, Schaeffers, Amsoil, Red Line and Ravenol.

I would use the Toyota Oil, if I could find it at either Toyota dealer near me, in 5w30 Full Synthetic.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Ouch, I had the same issue on mine but I repaired it myself. Where are you in Northern CA?

Regardless of what you decide to use, I would change the oil every 5K. The more frequent changes may keep the rings cleaner.
I think 10,000 mile OCI made this problem?

On the old 2010 Prius, I changed it regularly every 4,000 or 5,000 miles.

Granted, I bought the 2010 used over 2 years ago with 139k miles on it. The Carfax at the time was good showing dealer maintenance, but who knows how many times the previous owner changed the oil?

Either way, I suspect it was doomed from the start. I have heard the same for Corolla cars with the 1.8 l in those years.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
there is that guy on youtube in the SF area that does the HG for a reasonable price. Gasket masters i beleive.

They do the job for under $1k, but they do the bare minimum and from the videos, it's pretty obvious that they are targeting a certain audience.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
$4,500 for a head gasket? WOW!!!

Toyota wants the engine dropped for the repair so the book time is 17.2 hr. Labor rates are about $200/hr in CA at the dealer, and even some independent shops, so the $4500 figure is about right for market pricing.
But most people (including myself) do the job in-car.

Someone just posted a link for Walmart for Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus 5W20 5 quart jugs $12.45. I ordered the 3 pack -- came to $39.59 with tax and free delivery. Good luck with the new wheels!!!

Dale

My older 2010 Prius with 1.8 l engine finally died.

It had 210,000 miles and the #1 cylinder failed this week after replacing plugs and coils a year ago. A second attempt was made 3 weeks ago to replace the plug in #1 (after CEL with code 301). Plug was oily and fouled. Car began losing coolant 4 days ago. Taken to dealer Wednesday to confirm code & they noted that hydrocarbons were getting into cylinder, along with air bubbles in coolant. Done for. The reports of failures of a blown head gasket appear to have come true for me.

Repair would be $4500 or a rebuilt motor for $6500, according to dealer. Not in the budget.

So, took to another dealer for trade in. Now have a 2013 Prius, with 69k miles.

I checked the head on this new car and it appears there is a new gasket with sealant noticeable at the #1 cylinder area. So took a chance & bought it. It was about all I could afford. (This is a daily commuter with 45 miles each way.)

My question: Any recommendations to start with a good 0w20, recommended for the Toyota 1.8 engine? The dealer did an OC, but not sure what brand.

I always used Mobil or Havoline before. Once I tried Pennzoil and Valvoline. Both were high mileage oils.

GL
"took to another dealer for trade in" LOL.

I respect that, I would do the repair myself, I wanna do all the repairs myself if I can.

Last edited:
Ouch, I had the same issue on mine but I repaired it myself.

Yes, you did, and you have a thread on it.

2011 Prius Head Gasket Failure at 185k - Summary

Did the missing valve-stem cap for the No. 1 cylinder have anything to do with its gasket failure? Was it a manufacturing defect or lost during the repair or earlier maintenance?
I would like to know this as well, I don't know anything about Prius

the 1.8 Toyota 1zz-fe I rebuilt (98-03) and even some (05-08), their issue was simply the oil return holes in the piston, Toyota doubled the quantity and increased the size of the oil return holes on the 05+ Corollas and 03+ Celicas, these pistons ran too hot and the typical oil that was available would cause complete carbon buildup by 100k, I once had to rebuild a motor that a guy ran through a big puddle of water, and it was maintained on OEM OCI with full synthetic (prefer not to name the brand as its not relevant), simply wow, it was impeccable inside with 150k miles.

The engine was rebuildable expect when people ran it completely out of oil at high speeds and threw a rod and made a hole in the block (only seen it once).

I think 10,000 mile OCI made this problem?
I doubt that, did Toyota even spec it at 10k OCI?

Back