Starter failed on 2013 Hyundai sonata

Im sure they had reasons. They might not line up with what DIY might prefer, but its not done in a vacuum.

These days, don’t most starters go 200k, if not the life of the car? Its not like the old days were you expected to have to replace at some point.
Toyota says 30000 starts. Could be 1M miles if all hi way miles LOL

Toyota says 30000 starts. Could be 1M miles if all hi way miles LOL
Interesting information to have. By my calculations my Silverado probably has somewhere around 50-60k starts on it.
The sonata has somewhere around 6000 starts. Lol

Great news today. Axle seals and rear shoes were replaced on my truck, got it back Thursday morning. Left the sonata, luckily we didn't get stranded as it managed to start after a few tries each time. The shop said it barely started for them.
They said this was a new one for them... but they took apart the starter and the lever was broken just like I said it should be. This repair saved me $200 and likely the plastic lever will fail again before the rest of the oem starter and I don't have to worry about an aftermarket starter failing in less than a year.
This was our first 2 repairs at this local independent shop and I will be going back.

Attachments

• IMG_20211224_093702.jpg
    IMG_20211224_093702.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20211220_143003.jpg
    IMG_20211220_143003.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 28
350rocket, why don't you get the OEM starter from the dealer and let the independent install it? The independent guy should be able to get a discount from the dealer, so check which way is best (you vs. independent purchase). Sometimes dealer parts dept. will give a 10% discount if you ask.
In this situation who pays the labor if starter fails ? The person looking at the mirror.

The independent should an dealer definitely has a warranty parts and labor if they supply it.

In this situation who pays the labor if starter fails ? The person looking at the mirror.

The independent should an dealer definitely has a warranty parts and labor if they supply it.
Yes. It's much easier to deal with warranty if they supply the starter they're installing. I was a service advisor for years so I've been on the other side of the counter.
In the end no warranty as they installed the $35 lever I supplied. But they said it was definitely broken in 2 pieces and the cause of the problem. It's less likely that the rest of the oem starter has a problem than a new aftermarket starter. I've seen so many fail in a few months or a year that I hate to put one in any of my vehicles unless I have no choice.
Our local rebuilder is the only trustworthy aftermarket source for starters but it would have still have been over $200 and with someone else doing the replacement I didn't have the luxury of taking it to the rebuilders.

Back