Start up tick driving me crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
spdfrk, if you don't want to spend over 20 dollars
Try CD-2 maxx, it will unstick your lifter. It's only 4.50
at your canadian tire, or walmart.

Quote:

Try CD-2 maxx, it will unstick your lifter.

You guys with these snake oil additives just crack me up. I guess the money spent in some of these marketing departments is a well justified investment.

So what's a good high-flow filter that I can get at a normal parts store or discount store?

My 05 Dodge Dakota has some startup tick (when it's warm outside, not cold, oddly enough), and if this will solve the problem, I'm all for it.-

Quote:

So what's a good high-flow filter that I can get at a normal parts store or discount store?

The Wix family of filters (Wix, NAPA Gold, Carquest Premium, Kralinator) are easy to find and flow very well.

Wix may be a good filter, but I would not call them "high flow". Due to their ADBV arrangement, the filter area is smaller than most filters.

I would try a full synthetic media filter.

Amsoil Eao or Fram X2/Extended Guard (not any other Fram model). The Frams are availible at Wallmart and most auto parts stores. approx $10.

Well since you have at least 1000 suggestions here I thought I would help you find a compromise that is sure to work. You will need a 5 gallon bucket, cordless drill and steel paint stirring wand that fits in the drill.

Take the clean bucket and add 1 quart each of the following:
M-1 5w30, CastrolGTX, Havoline, MC, Amsoil asl5w30, GC0w30, PP 5w30, Rislone,RotellaT Synthetic, Maxlife, Tropartic. Then stir with the drill/wand set up for 15 minutes. Close the lid and allow to sit.

Install Fram X2 filter

Now add 3 qts of this "lubricant" to your engine along with 1 bottle of AutoRx, 2 cans CD2MAxx,1 bottle Lucas oil stabilizer....top off with "lubricant".

Run engine 1500 miles, drain, install Amsoil eao32 filter and fill engine with more "lubricant" if you don't have enough make more using the same recipe.

Run engine 3000 miles......take sample UOA and report back to BITOG immediately as EVERYBODY will be happy to hear how well your engine is running....best of luck...now get going!!
drool.gif

Well it's been 4 days since the OP's last post, I wonder if he's still got that tick.
dunno.gif

Let me just say this: If the lifter continues to be flat for a significant period of time, the corresponding cam lobe will be ruined and possibly a bent push rod too.

Quote:

Its an LS1. Ticking is not abnormal.

The startup ticking noise on Corvettes sometimes is caused by a cut or damaged Oil pickup tube O-ring. That allows air into the tube and the oil to drain back into the pan and the oil system looses its prime. I don't know if that was a problem on Camaro's because the Oil Pan is different, but it might be something to look into.

The LS1 in my Corvette makes no unusual ticking noises at all, even when started up on sub 0F mornings. I guess it's luck of the draw. I think the earlier LS1s were built a little better. I hate to say it (since my cousin works there) but I think when they moved production of the LS1 to St Catharines Ontario (around the 2000 model year I believe) they didn't build they as well as the Michigan plant did.

Hey guys thanks a lot for the replies sry but I wasnt getting instant notifications.I am running a napa gold filter and my car only has 26k miles on it. I thought about trying some sea foam in the oil but not sure. The car does not do this as bad now I heard when you get some miles on the oil it gets better I got about 200 miles on the oil now maybe a little more I do not drive the car much or it could be the warmer weather but like I said it would do it on a warm restart. It still does do it tho... I might even try the 5w30 vavoline synpower next to change it up.

02 tahoe does same thing cold start lifter tap seems to work back wards dino 5-30 ok thin synt. and good filter sounds worse

Quote:

Just sucks cause its lower miles and I take very good care of this car but im not sure what the previous owners done.
Here is an example of how clean I keep it.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l285/spdfrk1990/CD2/P1000710.jpg

WOW!!
crazy.gif
Did you paint the lid, radiator surround and intake manifold?? That engine bay makes me ashamed to even open the hood on my '00 Z28. But other than that, it is meticulously maintained mechanically, although it does not take much. It is also driven every day, year round, with NO garaging for any of it's 7 years, 100K miles.
wink.gif

I just put M1 5W-30 and a Purolator PureONE filter on my '06 Monte with the 3900. As with all GM's, it's a little noisy at start-up when the engine is cold. The engine was warm when I changed the oil and filter, and after restarting it, it sounded quiet and normal. When I restarted the next morning, however, it was a little noisier than it was with the AC filter that was on there and the dino oil. My gut feeling is its the filter, and next time I'll probably go with another AC Delco or just a Purolator premiumplus, instead of the PureONE.

Good luck!

Guys...is it spelled bandaid or bandaide?
In any event, most all the recommendations given here are nothing but bandaid type solutions.

Mechtech has given, IMO, the only real credible diagnosis.
You can throw all the miricle fix fluids at it you want to, they simply are NOT going to cure the root cause of the problem.

This is a mass produced engine we are talking about here. The tolerences are far larger than that of a high performance tuned engine. No offence to those who own the engine, but it has been given acceptable tolerances at the factory that the high performance machinist would simply not accept. This is a fact will ALL mass produced engines.

You have a valve or lifter ticking, plain and simple. I am not sure, but I think the LS1 has hydrolic lifters, which are easy to calibrate.
There are simply some items that need to be addressed mechanically, rather than simply a brew of bandaid juice being thrown in it.

For those who have had a lifter ticking and threw some juice in, or a filter that seemed to stop the noise...that is about all you did...stop the noise. The initial root cause of the problem is still there.

Buy some wrenches and feeler guages, along with a Haynes manual, or find someone who owns them and knows how to use them. That nice engine deserves more than a bandaid fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back