Stanford Professor warns massive UFO disclosure is around the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to disagree again. Without today's technologies how could we model the universe, develop the Hubbel and Webb space telescopes?
Build reusable rockets and land them on an incredibly exact spot back on earth?
Heck, technology just gave us a picture of a black hole.
It’s like the difference between education and training.

Learning about something. Learning to do something.

They are related but they are different.

Science has driven technology. Technology has enabled scientific discoveries.

But technology is NOT science.

From a technology POV this may be true but from a science perspective, and I don't accept "you don't know what you don't know here", what observable phenomena are happening that aren't already explained by the current version of the standard model? There are some gaps in what happens when macroscale things become quantum things as far as gravity and using two sets of laws, dark matter/energy but we're pretty sure it's just some neutral uncharged matter that very weakly interacts with our charged particle universe, maybe some discussion about whether or not quarks are in fact fundamental particles (to be honest I lost track of where this currently sits), and then a bunch of stuff like M-theory/string theory/many worlds which is fun to think about but going nowhere in the past +50 years and they are probably impossible to ever test satisfactorily anyway.

Other than those the universe for as far as we can see in all directions seems to fit our current theory very very very well. It would be truly strange if there was a huge area of physics that we understand nothing about and that later explains our universe better than our current model.
I think we are saying the same thing, at least to a degree.

I have to disagree again. There is no tech without science.
Without today's technologies how could we model the universe, develop the Hubble and Webb space telescopes?
Build reusable rockets and land them on an incredibly exact spot back on earth?
Heck, technology just gave us a picture of a black hole.
There's basically engineering and theory. You're describing engineering and refinements. The basic science didn't change. The standard model has been around since the 70's and it took til 2012 to prove the existence of the Higgs Boson which was part of the original theory. Einstein came up with General relativity in 1916 and it hasn't changed much since. Also people who are expecting something radical to happen with new science, well General relativity didn't completely destroy what Newton had come up with, just further refinements on it. As we learn more about dark matter and dark energy, there will probably be additions to general relativity and the standard model, but it probably won't invalidate what we already know and the formulas that we already use.

It’s like the difference between education and training.

Learning about something. Learning to do something.

They are related but they are different.

Science has driven technology. Technology has enabled scientific discoveries.

But technology is NOT science.
Sorry Astro, I ain't gonna bite. Technology is applied science. I think you said this in post #338.
There is science that may never be used in technology, but that does not mean technology is not science.

Science is man's endless search for truth in nature.

There's basically engineering and theory. You're describing engineering and refinements. The basic science didn't change. The standard model has been around since the 70's and it took til 2012 to prove the existence of the Higgs Boson which was part of the original theory. Einstein came up with General relativity in 1916 and it hasn't changed much since. Also people who are expecting something radical to happen with new science, well General relativity didn't completely destroy what Newton had come up with, just further refinements on it. As we learn more about dark matter and dark energy, there will probably be additions to general relativity and the standard model, but it probably won't invalidate what we already know and the formulas that we already use.
I never said the basic science changed.
I will say that General Relativity was discounted when first presented by leading scientists of the day. Radical stuff.

Beyond that, I think we are saying much the same thing.

I never said the basic science changed.
I will say that General Relativity was discounted when first presented by leading scientists of the day. Radical stuff.

Beyond that, I think we are saying much the same thing.
Basically some people here are confusing the two things, engineering and theory. Some think that we are continually making advances and if we keep up the same trajectory, we'll come up with something super radical that will change all physics. But if you look at the history of physics, it basically builds on what was known about the past, not totally throws it out. The big bang was probably one of the biggest advances and leads to our current understanding of the universe. Further research basically supports it and some may question the foundations of it but nothing has been completely thrown out yet. Lots of popular theories out there like string theory, loop quantum gravity, supersymmetry etc., but they're still theories. The engineering will continue, we've been making refinements to jet engines since the 1940's. But we haven't found a miracle fuel better than jet fuel yet. Well there is antimatter but the cost of it is insane and we don't have the engineering to contain it yet. But the theory is there for antimatter. If someone finds a way to make it cheaper, that would be a tremendous engineering advance, but it's not new physics theories.

All this alien and UFO talk, if anything proves that people have an inherit need to believe in something higher than themselves. I don’t want to go into R territory, but in the end that’s what it comes down to. People just don’t realize it.

Science-fiction is being discussed as if it were science. Warp drives, infinite universes, faster than light travel, etc. all seem very feasible, one just has to believe, or better yet, imagine.

Perhaps your circle is filled with seekers? In mine few to none believe or care about "something higher".
We demand absolute answers, not mysticism and or juvenile answers like a "bus full of hippies".

Question arise when otherwise trustworthy people and our best equipment are concurrently fooled for a significant duration of time and we have no answers that work outside of "other". This is disturbing vs. delightful or fulfilling and not at all satisfactory for the money we spend.

This problem is exacerbated when our government reverses itself from a near 80 year old position on the subject.

Sorry Astro, I ain't gonna bite. Technology is applied science. I think you said this in post #338.
There is science that may never be used in technology, but that does not mean technology is not science.

You should bite. They are not synonyms.

The difference is subtle but important, particularly in the context of this discussion.

Advancement in propulsion, yielding increased speeds, or acceleration, is an example of technology.

Advancing or changing the laws of physics, enabling a different understanding of nature, is science.

The dictionary, not to mention the scientific and academic communities view them as different.

...The big bang was probably one of the biggest advances and leads to our current understanding of the universe. Further research basically supports it and some may question the foundations of it but nothing has been completely thrown out yet....
Okay, can we call the Big Bang, etc., "The BB working Hypothesis" for the time being because I see its many flaws that need to be flushed out that many may not be aware.

Maybe someone in the future will start a thread on the "The BB working Hypothesis."

You should bite. They are not synonyms.

The difference is subtle but important, particularly in the context of this discussion.

Advancement in propulsion, yielding increased speeds, or acceleration, is an example of technology.

Advancing or changing the laws of physics, enabling a different understanding of nature, is science.

The dictionary, not to mention the scientific and academic communities view them as different.
I never said they are synonyms. I said technology is applied science.
I also said there is science that may never be used in technology.
I said science is man's endless search for truth in nature.

Science enables technology and technology can drive scientific work.

Okay, can we call the Big Bang, etc., "The BB working Hypothesis" for the time being because I see its many flaws that need to be flushed out that many may not be aware.

Maybe someone in the future will start a thread on the "The BB working Hypothesis."
Well the standard model is also a working theory and works well so far but might have some changes to it once/if dark matter, dark energy and gravity is figured out. I mean you could probably put general relativity in there with that.

Perhaps your circle is filled with seekers? In mine few to none believe or care about "something higher".
We demand absolute answers, not mysticism and or juvenile answers like a "bus full of hippies".

Question arise when otherwise trustworthy people and our best equipment are concurrently fooled for a significant duration of time and we have no answers that work outside of "other". This is disturbing vs. delightful or fulfilling and not at all satisfactory for the money we spend.

This problem is exacerbated when our government reverses itself from a near 80 year old position on the subject.
And yet you are clinging to just one idea of “other” and repeating the same thing over and over.

The “other” could be an extremely secret exercise to see the reaction of our equipment and personnel. Maybe it stayed that way to see what kind of ripple effect it might have.
It sure as heck is much more plausible than aliens.

Then, you have said exactly what I have posted. So, why are you arguing?

Yes, there's just a tendency to discount how much we know. Some in this thread have said we basically are just getting started and we know very little about science and my point is we know A LOT about science - so much so that we can explain and test just about every phenomenon that occurs around us so long as it's testable. We have a really great handle on how the universe works for a species that has only been working the scientific method for a couple of hundred years and really getting at it for just the past 100.

And yet you are clinging to just one idea of “other” and repeating the same thing over and over.

The “other” could be an extremely secret exercise to see the reaction of our equipment and personnel. Maybe it stayed that way to see what kind of ripple effect it militate have.
It sure as heck is much more plausible than aliens.

"Other" is the only answer we get that fits, and that our government admits to.

I'd like to hope our own exercises wouldn't hazard commercial aviation, but this phenomenon does.

Yes, there's just a tendency to discount how much we know. Some in this thread have said we basically are just getting started and we know very little about science and my point is we know A LOT about science - so much so that we can explain and test just about every phenomenon that occurs around us so long as it's testable. We have a really great handle on how the universe works for a species that has only been working the scientific method for a couple of hundred years and really getting at it for just the past 100.
It might be more accurate to say that people in general know very little about science in general although mankind itself knows a lot about science. I bring up the standard model once in a while and pretty much no one I've really run into knows anything about it. Including I think, several people on this thread.

Not really, you can have technology without any understanding of the science behind it. Take metallurgy for example. Human race has been able to forge metal objects for millennia, but it is only recently that we understand how the forging process works and what molecular changes take place to give the metal its properties.

But we have been able to make very exquisite examples of metallurgy, like the Katana. Without the preserved by the Japanese culture records of how it was made, our current scientific methods would have a hard time replicating this very fascinating and advanced piece of technology.

The DNI reversing themselves is pretty substantial.
This line right here is quite a departure from previous stance - " UAP clearly pose a safety of flight issue and may pose a challenge to U.S. national security."
From what I understand about the DNI, they never reversed themselves on this issue, but were given a new assignment category, i.e., the new assignment is to investigate the UAP phenomena and gather as much data as possible from credible witnesses and the scientific community, so I don't see how this is a reversal.

UAP's COULD pose a threat of safety of flight issue and MAY pose a threat to National Security, but so far we have no unequivocal info they have done so.

As to the military eye witnesses, I believe they saw something and reported it in real time and at this time I have no reason to 'not' believe them. Now comes the task of scientifically determining and explaining exactly 'what' they saw.

Last edited:
From I understand about the DNI, they never reversed themselves on this issue, but were given a new assignment category, i.e., the new assignment is to investigate the UAP phenomena and gather as much data as possible from credible witnesses and the scientific community, so I don't see how this is a reversal.

UAP's could pose a threat of safety of flight issue and MAY pose a threat to National Security, but so far we have no unequivocal proof they have done so.

As to the military eye witnesses, I believe they saw something and reported it in real time and at this time I have no reason to 'not' believe them. Now comes the task of scientifically determining and explaining exactly 'what' they saw.
The last official investigative document I remember seeing was blue book.
Blue Book concluded "no threat."

So agreed - not DNI, but the authorative body/offices at the time.

The DNI report from page 6

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 9.46.44 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back